Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 20:45   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: So you think your 'Chip & Pin' card is safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The same bank one time, (long ago), I was about 30p short of drawing a tenner from the cash machine, Ah, I thought I'll queue up and deposit this 50p, that is enough for me to draw a tenner!

Finally got to the counter, "sorry sir, minimum deposit is £10.00", my explaination that if I had £10, I wouldn't need what was left in the account, that, fell on on deaf and very bored ears.
thats crap,would be looking elsewhere.
Old 07-03-2008, 17:15   #17
JFT96

I saw a program on this, it was shocking, (but to be fair I was not very supprised,) to see the Banks claiming Chip and Pin was secure, so when a fraud was commited they just washed their hands of it.
Their reasoning is that you must have told someone your chip and pin number and therefore you have broken the rules in your chip and pin contract and guess what!!! the Bank will not reinburse you.
Never liked chip and pin, I use it when I have no choice. Here in Sunny Morocco the supermarket have only one machine and it is impossible to cover the keys when you use it.
In anyone is interested my pin number is:1234

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 17:20   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
In anyone is interested my pin number is:1234
Now there's a coincidence..................
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 17:24   #19
JFT96

oh no my luggage is the same number, thay means I'll have to change it, how about 6789?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 18:32   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
oh no my luggage is the same number, thay means I'll have to change it, how about 6789?
No that's the number of my Swiss bank account.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:19   #21
God Member

I think chip and pin in stores is left secure than the old signing method, the only thing it saves is a little bit of time.

As for identity fraud like that Benipete, its not that the police don't care, it's just one of the hardest crimes to actually deal with. Murderers and rapists dont tend to be professionals at what they do and leave behind all sorts of evidence, but identity fraud is committed by people who class what they do as a career and are amazing good at it, the same goes for hackers.

The government does actually get experienced hackers to work for them as retribution after convictions, so sometimes they do go straight, but when you imagine the money you can make from being great at these kind of things and not getting caught, why would you want to work for the government for a percentage of your potential income as a crook?

It can take years to sort yourself out once you have been a victim of identity fraud, so basically you just have to be very careful with your documents and information, particularly on the internet, and hope you dont get caught out. I must admit i'm not particularly cautious with my documents, but when you see people getting victimised via identity fraud its not nice at all and it does make you worry!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 21:35   #22
Resting in Peace

Thanks for the input blazey but I gave the police the address the card was sent to in Uxbridge and the address of the building society in Ruislip were the cash was withdrawn along with a store card from Harrods, six mobile phone accounts and dozens of phone numbers.Someone must have a photo of the person concerned.
The police said they could not trace the phone calls because of the EU human rights act.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 21:44   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Thanks for the input blazey but I gave the police the address the card was sent to in Uxbridge and the address of the building society in Ruislip were the cash was withdrawn along with a store card from Harrods, six mobile phone accounts and dozens of phone numbers.Someone must have a photo of the person concerned.
The police said they could not trace the phone calls because of the EU human rights act.
are ya serious about em not tracing phone calls cos of human rights? unbelievable, for once even i am gobsmacked, so the scumbag who does it has more ******* rights than the victim.
Old 09-03-2008, 21:52   #24
Resting in Peace

It would appear so and by the way my details were given to the person from a call center in Ireland.They even gave my old address as part of the security so the kind man at the center gave them my new one.
Old 09-03-2008, 22:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
It would appear so and by the way my details were given to the person from a call center in Ireland.They even gave my old address as part of the security so the kind man at the center gave them my new one.
Well a good job of protecting your “human rights” was done there. The “Data Protection Act” worked in your favour too eh !

Your tale doesn’t inspire confidence in the Law that’s for sure.
Old 09-03-2008, 22:56   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Well a good job of protecting your “human rights” was done there. The “Data Protection Act” worked in your favour too eh !

Your tale doesn’t inspire confidence in the Law that’s for sure.
no but some have complete faith in it. i did once.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:52   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps we will get someone that knows all about everything coming on and telling us this wouldn't happen with LINUX!
Dig at me eh Less, oh, most ATMs run Windows..........

Sorry I haven't responded earlier but I was away for a couple of days with work(Madrid was very nice BTW ).

Chip and pin is more secure than signature for one huge reason. When you pay you must know the pin, the number of times that I paid with a card where the signature strip was worn away and was never challenged was untrue. Even if you have some dodgy cashier and his mate, unless they know your pin they can't authorise the payment. i.e. you have taken the check away from a human who can be lazy/influenced and given it to a machine who can't be swayed.

When you pay, it is your responisibility to make sure your pin is safe. I cover the pin pad with my left hand so no-one can see what number I'm typing and have even been known to ask someone to move who was shoulder surfing. Don't pretend your own lax standards are the banks fault, they aren't

The pinpad on ATMs are fully hardware encrypted so even if you could 'read' the data being passed internally within the ATM its useless to you. The security for the loading of keys is industry standard and extremely secure. To the point that there was a cock up at one bank who 'accidentally' connected a test machine to their mainframe, All Banks had new encryption keys loaded within 24 hours. The current best time to crack the level we encrypt to is thought to be in the region of 200 years( In fact one of the lesser known uses of Sony PS3s is that they can be grid'd to make suprememly powerful number crunching cells for scientific research).

As with all things, security is as good as the weakest link in the chain, that is usually flesh based. Lets be honest, if a bloke threatened you with a knife/gun at an ATM you'd give him the money/pin/card/whatever.

Less, I think you need to find a new bank. I've never heard of someone charging to use the teller service. Can I recommend Barclays, a good bank who only employ the highest calibre of people

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 13:13   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Dig at me eh Less, oh, most ATMs run Windows..........

Sorry I haven't responded earlier but I was away for a couple of days with work(Madrid was very nice BTW ).

Chip and pin is more secure than signature for one huge reason. When you pay you must know the pin, the number of times that I paid with a card where the signature strip was worn away and was never challenged was untrue. Even if you have some dodgy cashier and his mate, unless they know your pin they can't authorise the payment. i.e. you have taken the check away from a human who can be lazy/influenced and given it to a machine who can't be swayed.

When you pay, it is your responisibility to make sure your pin is safe. I cover the pin pad with my left hand so no-one can see what number I'm typing and have even been known to ask someone to move who was shoulder surfing. Don't pretend your own lax standards are the banks fault, they aren't

The pinpad on ATMs are fully hardware encrypted so even if you could 'read' the data being passed internally within the ATM its useless to you. The security for the loading of keys is industry standard and extremely secure. To the point that there was a cock up at one bank who 'accidentally' connected a test machine to their mainframe, All Banks had new encryption keys loaded within 24 hours. The current best time to crack the level we encrypt to is thought to be in the region of 200 years( In fact one of the lesser known uses of Sony PS3s is that they can be grid'd to make suprememly powerful number crunching cells for scientific research).

As with all things, security is as good as the weakest link in the chain, that is usually flesh based. Lets be honest, if a bloke threatened you with a knife/gun at an ATM you'd give him the money/pin/card/whatever.

Less, I think you need to find a new bank. I've never heard of someone charging to use the teller service. Can I recommend Barclays, a good bank who only employ the highest calibre of people
I disagree, I've seen many peoples pin numbers in front of me in stores and at cash machines. Would only take an experienced pick pocket to them attain the card and off you can go around the shops without even having to practice their signature if its on the card.

I also would NEVER EVER recommend barclays lol... go for RBS!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 16:59   #29
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I disagree, I've seen many peoples pin numbers in front of me in stores and at cash machines. !
, what ya doing looking at people put there pin number in?, ya supposed to be polite and look away, ya cheeky mare
Old 10-03-2008, 19:32   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I disagree, I've seen many peoples pin numbers in front of me in stores and at cash machines. Would only take an experienced pick pocket to them attain the card and off you can go around the shops without even having to practice their signature if its on the card.

I also would NEVER EVER recommend barclays lol... go for RBS!
Can you remember them all and Isn't RBS part of the Halifax group with call centers in Ireland that put me through 3 years of pain

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..