Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 19:53   #31
God Member

Re: So you think your 'Chip & Pin' card is safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I disagree, I've seen many peoples pin numbers in front of me in stores and at cash machines. Would only take an experienced pick pocket to them attain the card and off you can go around the shops without even having to practice their signature if its on the card.

I also would NEVER EVER recommend barclays lol... go for RBS!
Err did you bother to read my post? Nope, to re-iterate

" Its YOUR responsibility to ensure you keep your pin safe, that means hiding the pad with your hand, positioning your body or even as I said telling them to chuff off"

Take responsibility for something in your life.

Oh and thanks for the insightful evidence or reasoning to back up your NEVER EVER satatement, Oh I forgot, you-re training in Law, eveidence doesn't come into it does it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2008, 20:07   #32

I quite like the Chip & Pin system. The technology may have flaws but all in all I like it.

I hardly ever carry a decent amount of cash, it’s far better than a chequebook, and when I do make transactions my card is never out of my hand/control.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:53   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Err did you bother to read my post? Nope, to re-iterate

" Its YOUR responsibility to ensure you keep your pin safe, that means hiding the pad with your hand, positioning your body or even as I said telling them to chuff off"

Take responsibility for something in your life.

Oh and thanks for the insightful evidence or reasoning to back up your NEVER EVER satatement, Oh I forgot, you-re training in Law, eveidence doesn't come into it does it.
I thought the whole point of a bank was to give THEM the responsibility of keeping our money safe. Though Northern Rock comes to mind so maybe I shouldn't speak so soon.

Signatures don't need to be covered up as there is very few people who could learn your signature off one glance. I don't quite understand where the idea of chip and pin being safer than signatures came from.

A four digit number or someones precise, practiced signature... a pin only needs to be remembered the one time as well and then they can just chance it at the cash machine to their own number.

And no, i dont often read every single post word for word because I do start to get tired with the long study hours, but I try my best to comprehend everything people say to me when i'm fatigued. I have problems with reading computer screens in general so I do get lazy with it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:31   #34
God Member

The Bank looks after your money, YOU look after the security of your access to it. A 4 digit pin is deemed safe due to the number of chances to 'guess' it against how long it takes to try them all, brute force is going to take far too long to break it. You can't have simple pins like 1234 0000 etc as teh ATMs have a list of what is thought to be too easy.

The problem with signatures is that it relies on the cashier or whoever to check that it matches. AS I POSTED BEFORE pin checking takes that from a human and makes it a logical yes/no. I actually had to sign in "The Works" teh other day, my signature strip is non existant yet she took it without even a blink of an eye. you could have used my card and still got the goods(yes I even know women who used to use their hubbys cards and 'forge' the signature). C&P fixes that.

Not reading all of something is not going to help in your studies or in life, tiredness is not an excuse

Old 11-03-2008, 07:41   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
you could have used my card and still got the goods(yes I even know women who used to use their hubbys cards and 'forge' the signature). C&P fixes that.
C&P makes it easier to use someone else card. You need bigger balls to hand over a card and hope you fake signature is ok than it takes to just stick a card in a machine and tap the pin in.
Old 11-03-2008, 20:37   #36
Senior Member+

That and the fact that the cashier/sales person may spot you are not a Mr and you are obviously a Mrs. ( it's happened to me a few times when I have had to turn down the sale ! " Sorry Madam, the card appears to belong to someone else."
Old 12-03-2008, 01:36   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
C&P makes it easier to use someone else card. You need bigger balls to hand over a card and hope you fake signature is ok than it takes to just stick a card in a machine and tap the pin in.
Rightly so... though nobody seems to think that for some reason
Old 12-03-2008, 01:59   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Rightly so... though nobody seems to think that for some reason
I can't remember numbers but I can forge signatures and there easy to get.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:03   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I can't remember numbers but I can forge signatures and there easy to get.
like I said, you only need to remember it once.

also brings up the point of people who write down their pin numbers and store them in the phones doesnt it?

I would imagine more of the population can remember a 4 digit number easier than forging a signature.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:08   #40
Resting in Peace

Mines hidden in the phone -so well I can't find it myself !!!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:19   #41
God Member

Quote:
Mines hidden in the phone -so well I can't find it myself !!!
its the first obvious place to look though.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:33   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
its the first obvious place to look though.
yes but you've got to loose them both at the same time in the same place and then you've got to work out the code. I've got them and I can't work it out.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57   #43
God Member

Quote:
yes but you've got to loose them both at the same time in the same place and then you've got to work out the code. I've got them and I can't work it out.
it just takes an experienced pick pocket. and not everyone uses 'code' like you.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:14   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
it just takes an experienced pick pocket. and not everyone uses 'code' like you.
True but having been dipped once I use a decoy-There are 14 pockets in my jacket and when they've tried all them to no avail they will give up. The answer a money belt.Specially in Benidorm
Old 12-03-2008, 06:48   #45
God Member

Easiest way to store it in a phone is to make it part of a dummy number. I have a company Barclaycard which gets used only when I'm away. As this is not that often I can't be bothered to commiit the number to memory. So on my phone I have a contact who I know is my Bcard pin with the pin as part of the number. To make it even haredr to work out I have home and mobile numbers on the contact. There is a case hor being hidden in plain sight you know.

To take this on a step instead of complaining about what we have why not think about what you would like. Fingerprint? doesn't work reliably and you would be complaining when the ATM wouldn't give you cash. iris scanning? again, not fraud proof and not reliable enough.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..