Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 08:04   #31
Senior Member+

Re: (SVEN)Its time to get rid.

Will admit one thing.Over here there are many nationaltys living together, Turks,Kroats,Slavs, Russians to mention a few.None of them ever want to come up against teh English side so we must be feared in Europe to say the least
Old 07-08-2004, 15:34   #32
Senior Member+

Feared for what? we beat the Germans (2 world wars 1 world cup) 5-1 on their turf but did we progress, no, we have a good side not a great one, great ones win World Cups. Just a thought David Beckham earned more money last year not including endorsments then Ronaldo and Carlos, David James gets more money then Julio Cesar, they have world cup medals Beckham and James dont do you think they care? No country would fear 0-0 with a minute left and a penalty to England.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 20:02   #33
Senior Member+

Ok to answer your first sentence.We beat them in 2 world wars but when all said and done i do believe that we will get somewhere in the not too distance future.Me personally am hoping for a world cup win in Germany in 2006.If that does nopt happen then i would consider getting rid of the Manager.Until then well, wait and see.If nothing comes ofit i believe that Mr. Goran - Erikson will leave of his own accord
Old 17-08-2004, 20:32   #34
Junior Member+

Clearly the biggest problem we face is who to replace him with. I'd prefer an English manager, but have no problem with the guy provided the results are right.

The main problem with the team is twofold. First, David James is THE worst keeper England have had ever. He clearly is a decent shot stopper or he wouldn't be playing in the Premiership, but his organisation, his communication, and his positioning are dreadful. Kirkland and Robinson are clearly the way forward - Robinson should have played ahead of James in Euro 2004. I'm not saying he's the best keeper in the world, but he's certainly better than James.

Secondly, the reluntance of Premiership managers to let players play for their country. Sure we all understand they can't afford silly injuries picked up in non-competative games, but is donning the 3 lions not what every english player should crave more than anything? There is no way any player should ever make himself unavailable for an England game without a DAMN good reason. The right to wear that shirt is a privilege.

As far as the amount of money they get paid goes. David Beckham, in his final year at United, was on a basic wage of £90,000 a week. That's about 4 times what I earn in a year. Then you have his bonuses, image rights royalties, sponsorships, public appearances, etc, etc. It was estimated he earnt somewhere around £12.5 million. Yes it makes me spit, makes me sick to the stomach, but if I got offered that kind of money, you KNOW i'd be there.

The point is, you can't blame Sven for taking the money. Only Terry Venables would have come close to achieving what he did at Euro 2004, and i'm not sure even he would have given his stint at Leeds. When a viable alternative comes along (and I wouldn't be adverse to Martin O'Neil. I think he'd be fantastic) then we can start turning up the heat. Otherwise we'll be left with who? Howard Wilkinson? David Platt? Trevor Brooking? Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg gghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Mickey_T_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 19:45   #35
Senior Member+

If Sven was to go (and i hope he doesn't) the right man to replace him would be Steve Bruce but whether he'd leave Birmingham???
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 22:15   #36
Junior Member+

I almost totally agree with you about Steve Bruce, but has he had the relevant experience? He hasn't won a great deal yet. Erikkson has won an awful lot, and then some. A quick search revealed this little lot :-

Swedish cup x 2
Swedish league winner
Portuguese league winner x 3
Serie A league winner
Italian cup x 4
Italian super cup winner
Uefa cup runner-up
European cup runner-up
European cup winner
Eufa cuper cup winner
World cup 1/4 finals
European championships 1/4 final

He's got the pedigree - he's actually done rather well with England, I just think some of the players haven't done it for him - think James, Beatty, Owen to an extent, Beckham had a terrible European championships, Heskey (god only knows why he persevered with him!!!).

I think his major downfall is that although he's obviously learning more and more about the English game, certainly to begin with, he had no idea who the best players in the country with, and that led to the ridiculous practice of playing 18million players in each friendly - a detail that REALLY annoyed me!

I would however, prefer an English manager. We'll be signing Cudicini next because he's eligible to play for us by virtue of having played here for 3 years and never having played for Italian senior squad........................

Now THERE'S an idea!!!
Mickey_T_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..