Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Synergistic Spending in Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I believe medals were offered to all previous Hyndburn Borough Council leaders when it was minted in 2008, although every last one of them is said to have turned it down.
Are there any previous HBC Leaders still alive? Prior to PB, it was George Slynn, and prior to that it was Councillor Bramley Haworth. Am I missing someone?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27   #32
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I too find that very hard to justify G. Very bad jugment in opinion, why give your opponents fuel to throw on the fire, probable one of PBs poorer decisions

Do my eyes deceive me???

Time for another pot of Earl Grey, I feel faint.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:32   #33
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Are there any previous HBC Leaders still alive? Prior to PB, it was George Slynn, and prior to that it was Councillor Bramley Haworth. Am I missing someone?
Possibly not, but that's the official line.

Perhaps they were asked in the bedside prayers?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:40   #34
God Member

Why couldn't Britcliffe have made a medal for himself? All that's needed is a bit of kitchen foil, some cardboard and a safety pin and hey presto! One medal. It could be a big 'un as well, about a foot in diameter so everyone could see it. And if he was really clever he could have sent his idea up to Blue Peter, so that all the kids in the country could make their own Britcliffe Hyndburn Medal....what a wasted oppoutunity for a bit of advertising for the town.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 03-11-2010 at 12:44.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:43   #35
God Member

Quote:

Discuss.

there you go again, prompting people to 'discuss' like we need your permission, at the moment you are enough to change anyone from red to blue, you are being rather irritating, and thats coming from a so called friend, it would be good if you could take your political head off sometimes and just try to be yourself
Old 03-11-2010, 12:44   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It could be a big 'un as well, about a foot in diameter so everyone could see it.
....but then they wouldn't see HIM, which would defeat the object.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:52   #37
God Member

Quote:
....but then they wouldn't see HIM, which would defeat the object.

He said 1 foot diameter not 10ft
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58   #38
Senior Member+

He'd have to buy a whole roll of silver foil, so he'd have enough left over to make medals for every Councillor.

The size of the medal could reflect how important each Councillor is.

I foot diameter for the Leader of the Council
6 inches for Cabinet Members
3 inches for Controlling Party Members
1 1/2 inches for Opposition Members............

and 1/2 inch for Independents.

Old 03-11-2010, 13:00   #39
God Member

Quote:
He'd have to buy a whole roll of silver foil, so he'd have enough left over to make medals for every Councillor.

The size of the medal could reflect how important each Councillor is.

I foot diameter for the Leader of the Council
6 inches for Cabinet Members
3 inches for Controlling Party Members
1 1/2 inches for Opposition Members............

and 1/2 inch for Independents.

A common use of tin foil is to wrap up Turkey's. I think you got that list spot on in relation to the size of Turkey's
Old 03-11-2010, 13:15   #40
God Member

I'm sorry Ken, I'm having a bit of difficulty with all this. I am not sure whether I need to have my eyes tested or what, but I could swear that you wrote that the Idiot-in-Chief has had a medal minted for himself, is that right?

Several questions suggest themselves, the first among which is Why?

I know that you are probably busy, but I, and I am sure many other members would welcome a more detailed account of how this medal came to be struck and the response of members of the council to it.
Old 03-11-2010, 13:17   #41
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
news to me. though she did do a cover of Bowies "The Man Who Sold The World" pmsl.
I remember seeing it years ago on an edition of Room 101 and she cocked up the chorus, although in fairness to her at least she was actually singing and not miming.

Getting back on thread, Huncoat Prospects have had some planters donated to them by HBC for their railway station. If we did that across the borough with the Floral Market Town planters I daresay they could do a better job and for less money.

We've just been told in Rishton that there isn't any money in the pot to replace the shrubs in one of the rose beds on the Esplanade. It's a sign of the times and another non-essential thing which has been cut back but the roses will last for decades while the bedding plants will last a summer at best.

I just wish a bit more common sense was applied.

Old 03-11-2010, 13:20   #42
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I'm sorry Ken, I'm having a bit of difficulty with all this. I am not sure whether I need to have my eyes tested or what, but I could swear that you wrote that the Idiot-in-Chief has had a medal minted for himself, is that right?

Several questions suggest themselves, the first among which is Why?

I know that you are probably busy, but I, and I am sure many other members would welcome a more detailed account of how this medal came to be struck and the response of members of the council to it.
I'm afraid you read correctly, A-B.

It isn't for me to speak on Peter's behalf, although you could ask him yourself:

Councillors - Peter Britcliffe

Old 03-11-2010, 13:40   #43
God Member

For once, I am speechless!
Old 03-11-2010, 14:57   #44
God Member

Quote:

It isn't for me to speak on Peter's behalf, although you could ask him yourself:

To be honest Ken I wouldn't want to waste the cost of an email on that fat, arrogant waste of space. Though one does wonder to what further excesses the odious little toad's vanity will drive him? But I suppose that as long as the electorate of St Andrews Ward, or Britcliffopolis as we must now call it, have their mouths stuffed with HBC gold there is little hope of unseating him. Petty dictators and their aparatchiks, couldn't you just spit on them.
Old 03-11-2010, 16:10   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
To be honest Ken I wouldn't want to waste the cost of an email on that fat, arrogant waste of space. Though one does wonder to what further excesses the odious little toad's vanity will drive him? But I suppose that as long as the electorate of St Andrews Ward, or Britcliffopolis as we must now call it, have their mouths stuffed with HBC gold there is little hope of unseating him. Petty dictators and their aparatchiks, couldn't you just spit on them.

I can confirm that as a resident of Britcliffopolis, my mouth isn't stuffed with gold. Well, perhaps a few blingy fillings.

I can also confirm that we also have a pot hole so huge, and which delivers more thrills than the Big Dipper, that people come from miles around to ride it. Cllr. Moss went on it, and was left speechless. Which must be a first.

I do get a first edition, presentation copy, of the yearly Britcliffe calendar, but I think that's just hand delivered so I give another glowing review of the many beautiful pictures.

(For any new members, reading Acidic-bab's scathing, neigh vile and vicious attack, his natural political stance is way to the right of centre. Which makes it even funnier Whoops, meant poignant)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..