Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2011, 22:09   #91
God Member

Re: Teachers' & other public servants' strike

the public pensions are amongst the lowest in the ocd the private sector should be catching up with the public sector not the other way round .what you are saying that pensioners should live in poverty. whatever way it goes the tax payer is going to pay or are they going to scrap pensions all together ??
Old 30-06-2011, 22:17   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the public pensions are amongst the lowest in the ocd the private sector should be catching up with the public sector not the other way round .what you are saying that pensioners should live in poverty. whatever way it goes the tax payer is going to pay or are they going to scrap pensions all together ??
Sadly most private sector workers don't live in some utopian Shangri-la, where what they'd like to happen, i.e. retire early, on a comfortable pension, doesn't.

Again, a rhetorical question, will private sector workers be happy to work longer, and pay more in tax, to help fill the more generous pension pots of their public sector working brethren?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 22:19   #93
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No they don't.

Though I'm still looking forward to seeing evidence of what support there is from private sector workers, for their downtrodden brethren who took part in today's industrial action.

i would honestly guess rindy, that there is much less than years ago, as i said society changed in the 80s.
Old 30-06-2011, 22:34   #94
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i would honestly guess rindy, that there is much less than years ago, as i said society changed in the 80s.
We've discussed this before, and we both think the nation's psyche changed forever in May 1979, and we became more concerned with self, than the greater good of society in general.

Again I'm raising the point because I don't know, isn't this different?

'If' private sector workers aren't as keen on supporting today's strikers, might it not be because that they've already had to bite the bullet, and have accepted that the future isn't as rosy as was once promised, because we're in such finacial dire straits?

If they're being forced to work longer, for eventual pensions much smaller than at one time was expected, in order to shore up the more generous state contributions of public sector workers, perhaps that's why there's very little support from them.

Old 30-06-2011, 22:43   #95
Give, give, give member

Unfortunately life's sometimes full of unpalatable change.

It's like complaing that you were told life expectancy for someone of your sex, living where you do, was 84.

So how can you possibly have a terminal illness at thirty?

Nothing's written in stone.

Sadly, not even employment benefits and entitlements.

Old 30-06-2011, 22:48   #96
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

fer my money, the nation should stand together n insist those who lost the massive surpluses the pension funds had, should be made to make good, this lot are using the excuse people are living longer, which any fool knows, but thats sod all to do wi the deficits, twill never happen i aint that dumb as to think so, but theres the answer.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:41   #97
JFT96

Well said Cashy

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:42   #98
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Sssssssssssttttttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddd ddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I'd get that keyboard seen to
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
fer my money, the nation should stand together n insist those who lost the massive surpluses the pension funds had, should be made to make good, this lot are using the excuse people are living longer, which any fool knows, but that's sod all to do wi the deficits, twill never happen i aint that dumb as to think so, but there's the answer.
Well I know some one who is £79 a week worse of than she should have been, if the pension fun she had been paying into for over 25 years had not been rifled, the galling thing is that even after rifling the pension funds and other stealth tax measures we are still up to our neck in debt
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I know some one who is £79 a week worse of than she should have been, if the pension fun she had been paying into for over 25 years had not been rifled, the galling thing is that even after rifling the pension funds and other stealth tax measures we are still up to our neck in debt
Which has absolutely sod all to do wi the poor sods who are getting stuffed.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34   #101
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Which has absolutely sod all to do wi the poor sods who are getting stuffed.
A bit ironic but my pension is due at the end of the year.I've just got the figures through.

Value dropped by 20% and I had to pay for It to be managed.

All the contributions were paid by me,No top up from the Government like others get.

Should I go on strike?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:38   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Which has absolutely sod all to do win the poor sods who are getting stuffed.
Um didn't hear to many union leaders shouting strike strike strike when Gordon was screwing the private pension schemes, now all the millions of people who's private pensions were rifled are being asked to subsidise pensions for the private sector, through the council tax vat and income tax, so what your saying is stuff the private sector and make sure the public sector are fine at their expense. Times change and things happen so the economic outlook has to change and if one section is targeted doesn't seem fair really if there other isn't
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
A bit ironic but my pension is due at the end of the year.I've just got the figures through.

Value dropped by 20% and I had to pay for It to be managed.

All the contributions were paid by me,No top up from the Government like others get.

Should I go on strike?
Exactly what I've been saying Beni, if your 20% down why shouldn't other sections of the work force feel the same reductions
Old 01-07-2011, 09:53   #104
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Exactly what I've been saying Beni, if your 20% down why shouldn't other sections of the work force feel the same reductions
Looks like It's back to the Grab-A-Granny pubs for me.Who knows I may get lucky with a retired short sighted teacher.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Looks like It's back to the Grab-A-Granny pubs for me.Who knows I may get lucky with a retired short sighted teacher.
Na if your going after a retired short sighted teacher Beni, they'll accuse ya of cradle snatching, they usually take early retire at 55 mate

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..