Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2011, 20:46   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Teachers' & other public servants' strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Sssssssssssttttttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddd ddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Strike a light!

You're right.

There was major industrial action today.

Though those in a coma could have missed this news.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2011, 20:47   #77
Senior Member+

Bee, your contributions are always appreciated and well worth reading but you REALLY must spray some WD40 on that keyboard!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 30-06-2011 at 20:53. Reason: Spelling
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 20:52   #78
God Member

yes they are lol
Old 30-06-2011, 21:32   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was asking a rhetorical question. Referring to how much support there'd be for today's strike, from workers in the private sector.

I never said it's what I think.

Besides, if you read it again, perhaps putting your finger under each word as you read aloud, you'll see I didn't give figures, but said 'many of whom are on more than fifty grand a year'.

Which is the case.

I know many in the teaching profession who earn that, and more.

Do try and read things more carefully.

There are 'many' other people more likely to catch me out, before you ever do.

It's reported in the press that the Treasury released figures today exposing how public sector retirement funds dwarf their private sector counterparts.

The figures released show that a mid-ranking teacher on £32,000 a year will receive a final salary pension that is the equivalent of having built up a £500,000 pension pot.

I haven't yet seen a poll, showing what support there was for today's industrial action, from those working in the private sector. But as I rhetorically asked, it will be interesting to know.

Public sector strike: £500,000 pension pot of striking teachers revealed - Telegraph

Public Vs Private Sector Pensions: Who Is Better Off In Retirement? | Business | Sky News

Old 30-06-2011, 21:38   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

a thing no-one seems to mention when yeh about to start in any job, yer offered a package, which yeh accept, if yeh don't like it,yeh dont start simple as, why when yeh been working fer years, can that package be reduced? Particularly when its someone elses fault.
Old 30-06-2011, 21:44   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
a thing no-one seems to mention when yeh about to start in any job, yer offered a package, which yeh accept, if yeh don't like it,yeh dont start simple as, why when yeh been working fer years, can that package be reduced? Particularly when its someone elses fault.

What you say is quite right.

Though many in the private sector saw their pensions diminish, from what they expected them to be, and the age at which they are able to retire rise.

I'm genuinely curious as to what public support there is for today's strike.

Old 30-06-2011, 21:46   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
I have every sympathy for this strike. Being a public sector worker myself, I am thoroughly brassed off with the government constantly moving the pensions goalposts. I have paid into my NHS pension for 24 years. The vast majority of NHS workers have very small pensions, they are domestics, porters, catering staff, health care assistants, nurses and midwives. The people getting big pensions are few and far between.

What ticks me off the most is now being told that we are working longer. I believe the police, fire and armed forces will still be able to retire early but not nurses and midwives!!!!!

I would love to ask all of our MPs one question..

If you are hospitalised and are a patient on one of our massive wards, in one of these new super hospitals that are springing up everywhere and you have a cardiac arrest......... Who would you want to run for the Defibrillator??

A 25 year old nurse or a 65 year old nurse????

It's a no brainer.
Yeah but it could be a really fat unfit 25 year old nurse
Old 30-06-2011, 21:47   #83
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Though many in the private sector saw their pensions diminish, from what they expected them to be, and the age at which they are able to retire rise.

I don't really have that much personal knowledge, regarding the ins and outs of this action.

I officially became a pensioner at forty.

Old 30-06-2011, 21:51   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
In the private sector, changes can happen all the time, from when you first start a job.

Pay freezes.

Short time.

Differing work conditions.

You have to accept it, or look for another job.

Old 30-06-2011, 21:52   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

yep it happened to my pension fund, but i jumped ship before it did, thing was i had done a great deal trying to convince folk back in the 80s that this would happen one day, very few would take heed, i know society changed back then, n not fer the better, yeh can take n horse to water, but yer can't make it drink.
Old 30-06-2011, 21:53   #86
Senior Member+

Quote:
Unfortunately, cashman, in the private sector it can be. In some cases to Zero. In many cases, you were simply told your contributions had to increase, your benifits on retirement would fall and the scheme was effectively BUST. I speak from experience. No negotiations, no strikes, just be glad you would get something. Whose fault? It doesn't matter, you have to face the tough facts, life's a bitch.
A Public Service Pension? I wish.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 21:55   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Unfortunately, cashman, in the private sector it can be. In some cases to Zero. In many cases, you were simply told your contributions had to increase, your benifits on retirement would fall and the scheme was effectively BUST. I speak from experience. No negotiations, no strikes, just be glad you would get something. Whose fault? It doesn't matter, you have to face the tough facts, life's a bitch.
A Public Service Pension? I wish.
Read my last post.
Old 30-06-2011, 21:58   #88
God Member

2 wrongs dont make right.
Old 30-06-2011, 21:59   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
Oh they do to some clearly.
Old 30-06-2011, 22:03   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
No they don't.

Though I'm still looking forward to seeing evidence of what support there is from private sector workers, for their downtrodden brethren who took part in today's industrial action.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..