Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2011, 10:13   #721
Resting in Peace

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I will just be interested to see how either of Cmon or Mancie would manage their own budgets if it was in such a dire state that ours is in at the moment....though we are in a far better state than some countries in the EU.
Spain has an unemployment figure of some 21.7%.........don't know what the figure is in Greece, but it is high.
Well it would be easy, C'Mon would cut out his trips to Ibrox and Mancie would cut the ale down to 10 pints a day, simples
Old 24-11-2011, 10:25   #722
Beacon of light

And that would sort out their budget deficit?
If you can't pay for something then you cannot have it....that has been an abiding principle in my life......plus, if I have had anything left over when all the bills are paid, then I put it away for a rainy day...there is always one out there lurking.
Now if the politicians in the past used my fiscal policies we might not be in such a great mess.
I know this is a very simplistic way of looking at things.......sometimes the simple ways are the best.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 18:27   #723
Resting in Peace

Quote:
And that would sort out their budget deficit?
If you can't pay for something then you cannot have it....that has been an abiding principle in my life......plus, if I have had anything left over when all the bills are paid, then I put it away for a rainy day...there is always one out there lurking.
Now if the politicians in the past used my fiscal policies we might not be in such a great mess.
I know this is a very simplistic way of looking at things.......sometimes the simple ways are the best.
Well Margaret I've agreed with you more than once on this issue, I've never owed anybody out in my life, never had HP (not including a mortgage) if I want something I save up until I can afford it, I'm 65 now and that's how I've always lived my life, I can bear to think I owe anybody anything, I've even paid for my own funeral up front so that's one thing less for my kids to bother about when its time to depart for that website in the sky, or as cashy said the other day thy'll be going down yon not up there
Old 24-11-2011, 19:28   #724
Beacon of light

Where ever you go John, I am pretty sure you will find friends in either place....!
Old 24-11-2011, 22:55   #725
God Member

Quote:
cutting spending to save money? What do you do with your family budget when you are short of cash...........?
Do you go to a loan shark to help you through the tough times?
Do you sell some of your assets?
Do you spend less?
How exactly would you manage the financial crisis?

Whichever political party you support, it is plain that there have to be some very tough decisions.
But this government have not cut spending and are not saving money ..borrowing has increased and is at a record high as well as the deficit.
I expect this will yet again be put down to the recklessness of the last government but the fact is we are putting people out of work and onto benefits ..to me that is not as you say a "tough decision" .. more like a inept and stupid economic policy.
To take the attitude that we are not as bad off as Spain or whoever is as simplistic as saying we are knackered but just look at the neighbours!

Last edited by Mancie; 24-11-2011 at 23:03.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 01:25   #726
God Member

u turn after u turn now they are spending some money but is it too late after they made a cock up
Old 25-11-2011, 08:18   #727
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
But this government have not cut spending and are not saving money ..borrowing has increased and is at a record high as well as the deficit.
I expect this will yet again be put down to the recklessness of the last government but the fact is we are putting people out of work and onto benefits ..to me that is not as you say a "tough decision" .. more like a inept and stupid economic policy.
To take the attitude that we are not as bad off as Spain or whoever is as simplistic as saying we are knackered but just look at the neighbours!
You didn't answer my question.........I asked how you deal with your own budgetary deficits.

When there is little growth.....then jobs are scarce. What do you expect the government to do? Manufacture jobs?

Our manufacturing base has shrunk. The uncontrolled immigration that the Labour governments allowed, let in people from other countries who will take any job that is going...they don't bleat on that is it not worth getting out of bed for.....or that they can get more money being on benefits, get up late and watch daytime TV.
Many people in this country have no work ethic.

It was Labour governments who encouraged a benefits dependence....and now it has grown into something which causes howls of pain when benefit claimants are targetted with back to work iniatives.
I am not saying that all claimants are getting benefits to which they are not entitled....but some are.
That is, taking money out of mine and your pocket to live better than we can. Beer. fags, wide screen TV, playstation etc. All paid for by you and me.

What would be your ideal way of dealing with the current financial crisis?

I will be interested to hear how you think this problem can be solved.
Old 25-11-2011, 08:48   #728
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Having people in work means that there are more people paying into the tax system, there is more money circulating...earners spend on goods and services......this is how stagnation is prevented.
The problem with our friends from the EU coming to work here is that many of them send large amount of their earning back home. This means they are taking from our economy and putting it back into someone else's.

This is very bad for the UK.
Old 25-11-2011, 08:53   #729
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
Maybe you can explain to me why reducing the consultation period from 90 to 30 will matter?

People are being made redundant where I work, looks like I have been lucky this time. It would not matter if the consultation period was 90, 30 or 1 day, they need and want people to go so they will go and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Old 25-11-2011, 09:01   #730
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The problem with our friends from the EU coming to work here is that many of them send large amount of their earning back home. This means they are taking from our economy and putting it back into someone else's.

There is also the other side to the coin Neil, people coming from other member states are entitled to claim on our benefit system too which is no doubt a hell of a site more than they could even hope to get in their own country, so where is it better to be out of work here on generous benefits or at home in their own country on peanuts
Old 25-11-2011, 10:10   #731
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Yes Neil, I appreciate this, and you are right it is bad for our economy and boosts the economy of their homeland.....and I have mentioned that in one of the many EU debates that is ongoing.

The other thing which is bad, is that if the person has children in their home country they can claim Child tax credit here.
Worse still is, if they return home permanently, they can still claim the Child tax credit that began while they were in this country.
It is a nonsense and should be stopped.
Child tax credits should only be payable for children who live in the country.If the migrant returns home then all Tax credits should be stopped.

I don't know whether the Benefits/child tax credit thing is an EU directive....but in any case, pretty soon anyone who arrives from any EU country will be able to claim the same benefits as someone who has paid into the system all of their lives. This should not be possible.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:14   #732
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yes Neil, I appreciate this, and you are right it is bad for our economy and boosts the economy of their homeland.....and I have mentioned that in one of the many EU debates that is ongoing.

The other thing which is bad, is that if the person has children in their home country they can claim Child tax credit here.
Worse still is, if they return home permanently, they can still claim the Child tax credit that began while they were in this country.
It is a nonsense and should be stopped.
Child tax credits should only be payable for children who live in the country.If the migrant returns home then all Tax credits should be stopped.

I don't know whether the Benefits/child tax credit thing is an EU directive....but in any case, pretty soon anyone who arrives from any EU country will be able to claim the same benefits as someone who has paid into the system all of their lives. This should not be possible.
Yes n despite any posturing from any of the big 3 they are quite happy wi this.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:19   #733
Beacon of light

Spot on Cashy.......just wait until the Roumanians get the nod to come over(in two short years)they will be entitled to health care, houses, pensions, tax credits, everything and you and me will be footing the bill.
OK, by then I suppose all these benefits will be lumped together and called Universal Credits....it is still our money(money we have worked hard for) whatever they call it.
They will be dipping their bread in our Gravy.
This is the wonderful EU (that Graham thinks we cannot do without) for you.
Old 26-11-2011, 00:09   #734
God Member

Quote:
You didn't answer my question.........I asked how you deal with your own budgetary deficits.

When there is little growth.....then jobs are scarce. What do you expect the government to do? Manufacture jobs?
I will be interested to hear how you think this problem can be solved.
I don't see how I deal with my personal budget has much to do with the UK economy ...unless you are one of those people who thinks running the economy of a nation is the same as running a household
What do I expect this government to do?...I expect them to do what any Tory government does.. make massive cuts with no concern of the outcome and then sit back and hope everything turns out ok.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 06:48   #735
Beacon of light

Mancie you still haven't answered the question......and there are parallels in running a family budget and running the budget of the country.
Running the finances of the country is obviously a much bigger deal, a more onerous task.
When I asked you what you expected the government to do, I didn't require the flippant answer that you provided...though it was no surprise to me........I was asking you what you expected the government to do to get work for people.
But you answered in your usual sarcastic way............nothing new there then.

Anyway, as it happens the government announced the iniative of paying firmsŁ2000 for each person between the ages of 18-24 that they take on.......but I suppose you think that that is giving money to their pals.....businesses, lining the pockets of their friends
I ask again.....no doubt in vain. What would you do to solve the great financial crisis that the Uk finds itself in.
I await your scintillating reply with interest.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..