Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 17:42   #631
Resting in Peace

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
There's none so blind as the millions of Brits over the last few decades who preferred to buy cheaper inferior foreign goods. Because they're inferior, we've become a throw-away society and we've thrown away our neighbours manufacturing jobs. Not only have we imported cheap goods we've imported take away cafe owners, NHS workers, builders, etc. and we even imported a couple of Scots to be our Prime Ministers for over a decade.
That's so simplistic its actually quite near the truth Lucy
Old 03-10-2011, 19:27   #632
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Is that it ? Every time a debate comes along your stock reply is the above Labour & the minimum wage, nothing else, is that all you're magnificent Labour party (of bygone times) has to offer ? If they're so outstanding there must be other attributes you can crow about surely ?

On top of that this present coalition has agreed to a raise in the levels of said minimum wage thereby benefiting more than an estimated 890,000 people.

National Minimum Wage Increases
David Cameron would allow minimum wage to die out - mirror.co.uk remember this and this Minimum wage harming job opportunities for young - Telegraph been here before and what about having to pay a levy before you can take an employer to a tribunal for unfair dismissal Unfair dismissal law change set to save British businesses £6 million a year if you think this is good for workers rights your in dream world.
Old 03-10-2011, 19:49   #633
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
David Cameron would allow minimum wage to die out - mirror.co.uk remember this and this Minimum wage harming job opportunities for young - Telegraph been here before and what about having to pay a levy before you can take an employer to a tribunal for unfair dismissal Unfair dismissal law change set to save British businesses £6 million a year if you think this is good for workers rights your in dream world.
The first right a worker needs is the opportunity to work! A lot of good people aren't getting that opportunity so something has got to change.
Then again, a million Poles and East Europeans may be proving me wrong.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 19:54   #634
JFT96

Workers rights! Well let's see, London Tube drivers now earn £50,000 per year, not bad if you can get it comrade.

Pay Deal Could See Tube Drivers’ Pay Top £50k | Londonist

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 19:59   #635
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Workers rights! Well let's see, London Tube drivers now earn £50,000 per year, not bad if you can get it comrade.

Pay Deal Could See Tube Drivers’ Pay Top £50k | Londonist
Pah.

Chicken feed.

Trade union leaders threatening a 'class war' take home 100,000 pay | Metro.co.uk

Only one more step up and they'll be in Blair's New Labour millionaires club.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 20:00   #636
Beacon of light

Quote:
So does all this mean that you have lost your job as a government advisor then?

You are a one trick pony.........you think that if Labour were in power they would be doing anything different, because according to their recent conference they were telling us that the cuts and everything the current Coalition (remember coalition - not tory) government were doing they would have done the same.
As for living in a dream world...it is you who needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

We are currently in the worst global recession/depression in living memory, and you keep on bleating about the same old, same old.
Pretty soon there may be NO jobs for anyone and a soup kitchen may be set up at the end of your street.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 20:03   #637
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Don't know too much about glassware .... apart from the fact that it holds alcoholic beverages But the violin thing ... there is no reason that others, say the Italians even, do what the Asians do. It's not as if it is some evil plot on the part of the inscrutable Chinese. If Italian entrepreneurs got off their asses, it could be done in Italy. I mean, the Italians make great ships, cars, and, especially motorcycles ... they have the skills; those skills are just lying idle. I remember a line from a Pink Floyd song: "If it wasn't for the nips being so good at building ships, the yards would still be open on the Clyde", or something like that (as you know, when possible, I prefer to use my memory instead of Google) I don't really agree with it. The skills of Clydeside were every bit as good as those of the Japs.

Talking of those wonderful folks who brought us Pearl Harbor, many over
here buy Japanese automobiles. However, they are made in Canada, by Canadian workers. And because Japanese companies don't treat workers
like sh ..., ok, poo, there are no labour disruptions at their plants. At the time the US economy took a dump, and their auto makers were laying off Canadian workers, Toyota opened a couple of new plants in Ontario. Oh, and both my vehicles are GM products ... yet both were made in Canada.
Eric -was already thinking of pointing out to Margaret about the merits of "stream of consciousness writing" alla C'mon Stanley , GARINDA does it too but with more "style and passion" -then you come along and are an even better example - "LOVIT". My mind also Spirals -welcome to the club....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 20:15   #638
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Eric -was already thinking of pointing out to Margaret about the merits of "stream of consciousness writing" alla C'mon Stanley , GARINDA does it too but with more "style and passion" -then you come along and are an even better example - "LOVIT". My mind also Spirals -welcome to the club....
Next you'll be discussing the merits of "Finnegan's Wake" and the beauties of "The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman." But, if I'm with Margaret and Garinda, I'm in damn fine company.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 20:16   #639
God Member

I forgot to add: "Even though we don't always agree".
Old 03-10-2011, 20:26   #640
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
David Cameron would allow minimum wage to die out - mirror.co.uk

Back in 2008, and we're presently in ................?

Minimum wage harming job opportunities for young - Telegraph

You're the one always banging on about the Minimum wage being such a good thing, so now you're disputing it ?

Unfair dismissal law change set to save British businesses £6 million a year

As mentioned previously elsewhere most European Countries have a similar policy & seem to be managing.
Perhaps the job situation would be better if there weren't so many foreigners in the UK prepared to work at minimum wage ? Now remind me, who was it again who allowed such a situation to arise ?
Old 03-10-2011, 20:39   #641
Give, give, give member

Quote:
(Must try harder with ol' drink Canada Dry.)

(So accusations of bullying start to fly, the next time we don't see eye to eye.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 21:05   #642
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
(Must try harder with ol' drink Canada Dry.)

(So accusations of bullying start to fly, the next time we don't see eye to eye.)

Come to think of it, he looks a lot like I used to when I was younger and living in rural Saskatchewan ... although I had a lot more hair, and a helluva lot better beard

So we don't see eye to eye all the time .... at least no one is going to accuse us of being a clique Mmmm .... I wonder what such a clique could be called. Maybe "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." I wanna be the "Ugly". "Bad" can be cool too.
Old 03-10-2011, 21:34   #643
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
No, I don't want to be in that kind of spiral where you spew out text without any punctuation.....it is messy and makes me not want to bother untangling the skeins of thought to find out if there is anything there worth the effort.

I write how I see things. Sometimes my points are not well made, but I would like to think they are always readable.

I just hope that is what you mean when you talk of stream of conciousness...you have to remember I didn't have a high flying education......just a secondary modern one, and not very distinguished at that...left at 15 to make my way in the world.
Old 03-10-2011, 21:36   #644
Beacon of light

Quote:
Isn't that the very essence of a good discussion? Not always agreeing, but being adult enough to agree to disagree.
Old 03-10-2011, 21:38   #645
Beacon of light

So can I be Good then....?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..