Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2013, 19:20   #166
God Member

Re: Ukip

camerons promise of a EU referndum is just pi$$ and wind to try and ensure another term in power.Making it law wont mean it will happen laws can be changed and if that crooked lot decide they want to over turn or ignore any rule saying we get a referendum it will happen and we the public will be powerless to do anything about it but do a protest vote and spoil our ballot paper.

i think teh only way we will ever get a fighting chance at a decent government is if alquida get lucky and blow teh current lot to hell so we have to start fresh.

no more labour party,no more tory party and no lib dems

justthat thought alone sounds good we could just have party A and party B and possibly a party C for cretins or as they were previously known liberals

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 14-05-2013 at 19:23.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-05-2013, 20:01   #167

I believe the only way Cameron can get out of his present fix is to hold an IN/OUT referendum on the EU before the 2015 General Election. Whichever way it goes it would bolster the Tories & send UKIP down the Swanee. If he doesn't do that Labour will romp the election with a comfortable overall majority simply because the Tories will do so badly. I will vote UKIP simply to express a view, I don't think it will affect the outcome.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 23:28   #168
Senior Member+

My personal opinion is that Cameron should hold the In/Out referendum before the next election. If it works and he is re-elected well and good, if Labour still get in they would already be out of the EU and would have to hold another referendum to go back in, but when have an opposition party ever changed what the previous incumbents did
Old 15-05-2013, 01:19   #169
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
My personal opinion is that Cameron should hold the In/Out referendum before the next election. If it works and he is re-elected well and good, if Labour still get in they would already be out of the EU and would have to hold another referendum to go back in, but when have an opposition party ever changed what the previous incumbents did
Have to agree with this ... It's the only sane political move Cameron can make ... An In/Out referendum, held in the near future, with a simple, unambiguous question would, especially if the verdict were "Out", render the UKIP largely irrelevant. At least, they would have to change their name. I believe the economic consequences would'nt be all that bad. In the long term, being hitched to Europe doesn't seem to be all that rosy a prospect. I also believe that the British voters ... those that think anyway ... would react positively to such a ballsy move.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 06:51   #170

Of course a referendum (now) bill would split the coalition and would not get through with Lib/Lab opposition. So there would either have to be a Lib/Lab coalition for the rest of this parliament or an immediate General Election. Whenever the next election was held it would be a de facto vote on whether the electorate want a choice on Europe by referendum or not. I think the Tories would win that easily. But it would be a period of turmoil & quite frankly I don't think Cameron has the guts for it.
Old 15-05-2013, 06:54   #171
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I agree, guts n Cameron do not belong in the same sentence. Though in fairness none of the big 3 have.
Old 15-05-2013, 07:32   #172
JCB

Does anyone remember the 1989 European Election results in the UK ?

The Green Party gained 14.5% of the national vote .

The European Elections in 1989

Where are they now ? In the recent Council Council election they got 242 votes in Hyndburn .

In the same recent elections the votes cast were :--

Labour 9161
Conservative 6229
UKIP 2853
Independent 1877
Green 242

Just some facts to reflect upon .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 07:49   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Does anyone remember the 1989 European Election results in the UK ?

The Green Party gained 14.5% of the national vote .

The European Elections in 1989

Where are they now ? In the recent Council Council election they got 242 votes in Hyndburn .

In the same recent elections the votes cast were :--

Labour 9161
Conservative 6229
UKIP 2853
Independent 1877
Green 242

Just some facts to reflect upon .
And what conclusion does your reflection lead you to?
Old 15-05-2013, 08:34   #174
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Of course a referendum (now) bill would split the coalition and would not get through with Lib/Lab opposition. So there would either have to be a Lib/Lab coalition for the rest of this parliament or an immediate General Election. Whenever the next election was held it would be a de facto vote on whether the electorate want a choice on Europe by referendum or not. I think the Tories would win that easily. But it would be a period of turmoil & quite frankly I don't think Cameron has the guts for it.
The 2017 referendum vote will be tabled by a Tory backbencher as the motion put forward by the Tories wouldn't see light of day due to the Lib/Dems, but it will be aired in a Private Members Bill. But you can rest assured that there will be no vote prior to the 2015 election, because Cameron genuinely thinks most people in GB want to stay in Europe, sadly he's very much mistaken, we are totally fed up by unelected bureaucrats make our lives a misery by coming up with stupid unnecessary rules and regs. Cameron ignores the British people at his peril
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 08:37   #175
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think what JCB is trying to say is todays UKIP was yesterdays Green Party
Old 15-05-2013, 08:50   #176
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I aint so sure about that, The greens were just a bunch of goody-goodys, were as UKIP may just be summat else. Greens could never consistently attract the mass.
Old 15-05-2013, 08:58   #177
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I aint so sure about that, The greens were just a bunch of goody-goodys, were as UKIP may just be summat else. Greens could never consistently attract the mass.
The one thing I don't like about UKIP is their leader he's a bigger Divvy than Cameron and Milliband, but just a little better than er um whats his face that easily forgotten Lib/dem bloke
Old 15-05-2013, 09:08   #178
JCB

Quote:
That the electorate is fickle .

And that you can make a lot out of figures which don't necessarily take you to the journey's end you'd originally intended to arrive at .
Old 15-05-2013, 09:14   #179
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm saying nowt Jaysay , other than , as you have implied , figures can lead to conclusions .

By the way , what's happened to the Empire Loyalists ?
Old 15-05-2013, 09:21   #180
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I'm saying nowt Jaysay , other than , as you have implied , figures can lead to conclusions .

By the way , what's happened to the Empire Loyalists ?
Is that the Accrington Empire or the Oswaldtwistle Empire Colin

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..