Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2005, 10:57   #16
God Member

Re: Wot not How.

He's had a go at mine this morning and left the following message...
"For having a go at Dean's spelling (anon)hehe"
Old 15-04-2005, 11:42   #17
I am Banned

i have dyslexic fingers

my mind knows exactly how to spell but my fingers hit the keys in the wrong order

for instance you may have noticed i spell the like this " teh " quite often

resaecrh sohws taht as lnog as the fsirt and lsat lteters are in the croerct plcae it dnost mttaer waht oredr the midlde letetrs are in

because people only read the first and last letters the will still be able to understand what is been said
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 11:53   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
for instance you may have noticed i spell the like this " teh " quite often
That is a very easy and common mistake. I do it all the time. I find my fingers are faster than my brain . Word auto corrects 'teh' it is that common.
Old 15-04-2005, 12:36   #19
Senior Member+

After I have been using Word on a new machine for a while, the autocorrect function works on a lot of words that I have a habit of mis-spelling.

As long as you select 'autocorrect' for the right word instead of just selecting 'change', of course!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 12:38   #20
I am Banned

this website wont let me spell correctly it keeps putting *** in my words lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 12:39   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
this websiet wont let me spell correctly it keeps putting *** in my words
PMSL at 'websiet'

I am wondering if that was an accident or not?
Old 15-04-2005, 12:48   #22
God Member

hpapy psotnig

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 14:10   #23

I'm ok with there their and they're the one I cannot ever get my head round is where and were, so please can some-one tell me when I use where, and when I use were....
I once brought the matter of spelling up at a Parent's night and was told, as long as people could understand what was being said, the spelling was not important.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 14:26   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Did you move your children to another school?
Old 15-04-2005, 14:28   #25
God Member

I'm not as good at this as Vorlon, but here goes...

Where is an interrogative adverb, it implies a question; Where is my hat?
It can also be a relative adverb; The place where he was buried

Were is used when speaking of things or events that preceded the current conversation and can be either singular or plural; We were happy then. There were four of them officer.

Does this help?
Old 15-04-2005, 14:34   #26
Member.

Pet hate pixie my dear, would you still consider it a pet hate even when it’s beyond the control of the speller? Dyslexics, disadvantages school kids (those pushed back because they don’t shine as bright) Immigrants, (legal or otherwise) Kids and adults with learning difficulties who’s faces or discomfort we can not see over the net, those who have suffered the effects of ill health i.e. Stroke, Tumour, Embolism but to name a few?

I have repeatedly made excuses for myself, I was, am severely dyslexic. I see words on paper even though I haven’t yet written them, which usually means I miss the buggers anyway. I can’t spell, although I am an avid reader I still have difficulties. I can read and write and I don’t give an s*** really because I earn a bloody good living using my computer to write Tenders, Contracts, Polices and Procedures for the social care industry.

Without a battery of Dictionaries, Thesaurus and Spell Checkers, and Word on my computer I would be ******.

The point I’m making is that because of my back ground I know a lot of people that write on this forum have problems of one sort or another when it come down to educational standards. It is embarrassing and it can be hurtful when people pass comment or take the p***. For those that do relish the prospects of a **** take either in the open or behind your screen just bear this thought in mind

“You are but a heartbeat from an injury, illness or a bang on the head that would render you the same”

I’m not having a go at anyone, least of all pixie or anyone else who contributes to this forum. It don’t matter on here really why some one may spell badly. But it may matter to them and affect their lives tremendously.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 15-04-2005 at 14:48. Reason: Bloody spell checker..........
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 14:41   #27
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Your quite right Roy, most people recognise the formulation, shape and charter of words as opposed to the spelling of them. This is particularly true of people with sight difficulties, partially sighted and alike as well as learning difficulties, and dyslexics. I wonder how many people realise that you SHOULD NEVER RIGHT IN Capitals as it removes the contours and shapes that people recognise.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 14:41   #28
Senior Member+

This Karma system is truly annoying - sorry Doug, but that is worthy of some.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 14:58   #29
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Although I think that correct spelling is very important, I do realise that we are all human and prone to making the occasional mistake/typo. It's the text-speak which bugs me. Text-speak is alright on a mobile phone where you have limited space, but on a discussion forum such as this I would prefer to read English - no matter how many mistakes are in it.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 15:03   #30

In reply to Neil No because it was the final year of junior school so she was ready for leaving anyway....and Thank-you A-bob I'll try to remember the correct usage of those words.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..