Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2005, 15:04   #31
God Member

Re: Wot not How.

I too have no problem knowing how to spell but my fingers often work in slightly the wrong order. The word 'the' I have a mental block with as it always comes out 'teh' I have enven just had to edit this post for every instance.

So spelling doesn't upset me too much though I hate poor English and text speak just winds me up.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2005, 15:04   #32

Does he find spelling annoying or the typical - hi how u doin m8 r u cumin around 4 T?

Now you cant expect everybody to speell correctly, I guess you both find the example i made annoying as i do too. Now sms messages its understandable, you get so many charactors and you want to jam as many words into a sms as possible to save your money. But i dont see the point in doing it online, Its annoying and some of the words i couldnt of concived myself - only on the internet can you find an abreviation for OK!!!

robert
Old 15-04-2005, 15:05   #33
Resident Waffler

I have two opposing points of view here and I shall try to explain them both.

First of all I must admit that like several others it saddens me to see the demise of the English language. The places where I find it most irritating are "official" locations such as shop signs telling me "We supply all you're household needs" or "Ladies Coat's". These are not spelling mistakes but a total lack of understanding of English Grammar. In some cases it is almost understandable when the person having written the sign does not have English as their first language, but you'd think they'd check wouldn't you?

The part of this which worries me most is that the mistakes are being passed on to the next generation often without correction by teachers because it is deemed more important to encourage the children to express themselves than it is to teach them how to do it correctly. I don't just mean the next generation of shopkeepers either. All children see these incorrect signs and assimilate the errors.

I do find that I struggle more to read a post which is grammatically incorrect rather than containing spelling mistakes.

The opposite side of the coin is when it comes to people like my daughter who are dyslexic. She finds it almost impossible to spell some things correctly without help and she doesn't even make the same mistake in the same word the next time she uses it. Pre-typing posts in "Word" does help but it doesn't always solve the problem as the suggested corrections are not always the word she originally intended. I remember a classic "spell-check correction" in a letter I typed once when I worked in a bank. I'd written to a customer accidentally asking her to call in to review her hovercraft. Mimi will often ask me how the simplest of things should be written because her brain simply refuses to tell her.

I make some classic typos myself and they are typos as opposed to spelling mistakes. I know what I mean to put but my fingers just take on a life of their own and produce an entirely different thing - usually "ahve" for "have" and "starnge" for "strange". (I'd be much better at the live aol quizzes if I could only manage to stop doing that.)

So, yes I would like to see correct usage of the language and correct spellings wherever possible but also appreciate tolerance when the meaning of the sentence isn't lost by one or two little errors.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 15:05   #34

I don't mind bad spelling or grammer if people try to type in English We all have the right to be heard and to get our views across! I was'nt over educated at school, it's the txt/gangsta style I hate,you don't pay extra to type the full word! plus I'm from Burnley and not the Hood!!

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 15:15   #35
Senior Member+

I agree with Willow that the most annoying spelling mistakes are those on signs and in newspapers and books,proof reading is very well paid and if I had written a book and saw typos/spelling errors in the finished edition I would be fuming!
Old 15-04-2005, 15:24   #36
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
The opposite side of the coin is when it comes to people like my daughter who are dyslexic. She finds it almost impossible to spell some things correctly without help and she doesn't even make the same mistake in the same word the next time she uses it. Pre-typing posts in "Word" does help but it doesn't always solve the problem as the suggested corrections are not always the word she originally intended. I remember a classic "spell-check correction" in a letter I typed once when I worked in a bank. I'd written to a customer accidentally asking her to call in to review her hovercraft. Mimi will often ask me how the simplest of things should be written because her brain simply refuses to tell her.
I have to agree with you willow regarding the problems that are most likely building up for the coming generations. Texts speak, cultural mergence of phrases and words, computer games! Let alone signs in our shop windows.

My biggest aid to self help willow to my problems was the central library. I learnt how to recognise words by their meaning and character and often see a word I want to spell as a word on a page. It’s very difficult for the young ones today I feel. There is much more understanding amongst adults but to little time given in our schools to those that or just as bright, if not brighter than those at the top end. And as ever I think kids today are less forgiving of their peers who have difficulties.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 15:27   #37

Disagree with this...(your not racist are you? hehe)

Please tell me what my first language is?

when i install a program and i see the options
1 english
2 english(united states)

Now i know why there is a united states english LOL. Some millionairs are dyslexic & these cant spell and/or lack of grammer. Intelligence comes in many ways, Like where i can play guitar maybe you cant, or could never. Maybe you are good at something that i am not(like english grammer)

have fun

robert

WillowTheWhisp :

These are not spelling mistakes but a total lack of understanding of English Grammar. In some cases it is almost understandable when the person having written the sign does not have English as their first language, but you'd think they'd check wouldn't you?
Old 15-04-2005, 15:30   #38
Senior Member+

I think schools are getting quicker at picking up the early signs of dyslexia now;it's not just put down to laziness or stupidity as it used to be.I am the same with numbers and have always been rubbish at maths because of it.Sadly there is still a great deal of stigma attached to dyslexia and there shouldn't be;a close friend of mine didn't tell me that this was the reason he wasn't answering text messages until I had known him months!
Old 15-04-2005, 15:34   #39
Resident Waffler

No I am not racist. My first language is English. My daughter's school has on record that many of pupils there do not have English as their first language. Does this make the school racist? They have bilingual staff to help otherwise how would the children cope? The native language of this country is English. Our schools teach in English.

I have learned to speak other languages. If I was living in a country where I could speak the language fluently enough to converse but was not necessarily accurate in my spelling or grammar I would verify whether or not I'd got something correct before I made a dirty great shop sign.

BTW I used to be able to play guitar but have problems with my little finger on each hand where the knuckles bend inwards and lock so I have had to give it up.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 15-04-2005 at 15:36.
Old 15-04-2005, 15:39   #40
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Sadly there is still a great deal of stigma attached to dyslexia and there shouldn't be;a close friend of mine didn't tell me that this was the reason he wasn't answering text messages until I had known him months!
I have to say it can be very distressing when someone Text’s you and your not prepared. You don’t often know which way to turn although I think once you come to terms with it and your comfortable speaking to someone it gets easier. When I send text messages it takes forever writing the buggers, and then you think to yourself if people at the other end think your ignorant for not replying quicker or at all. I had some bad experiences this year because someone thought I was ignoring them or that I didn’t what to speak to them.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 15-04-2005, 15:42   #41
Resident Waffler

It takes me ages to send a text too Doug and I'm not dyslexic. I just have trouble with the flippin keys and the thing jumping to features and stuff I don't want. (I've got a funny phone)

I think kids are much quicker off the mark with modern technology.

Old 15-04-2005, 15:43   #42

Doug when I say that bad spelling is a pet hate, maybe I should have said pet peeve? I know that there are people like yourself and Willows daughter who are dyslexic and cannot help any spelling errors that you make.

Rob, US English is how the Americans use the English language. They say "color" rather than "colour" and "center" rather than "centre" etc, so I suppose the spellchecker adjusts for that.
Old 15-04-2005, 15:52   #43
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdunn24
only on the internet can you find an abreviation for OK!!!
What is it?

I was once criticised by someone online for typing "OK" - she said I was shouting at her by using capitals. I pointed out that "OK" is normally written in capitals and that I wasn't shouting, merely typing it correctly as it would never have occurred to me to use lower case. Just a simple example of how lack of understanding of something simple like that can lead to a misinterpretation of a person's intentions.

I even spend time selecting upper case in text messages for the first letter of a person's name etc because I would feel I was insulting the person if I didn't.

Old 15-04-2005, 15:53   #44
Member.

[QUOTE=-pixie]Doug when I say that bad spelling is a pet hate, maybe I should have said pet peeve? I know that there are people like yourself and Willows daughter who are dyslexic and cannot help any spelling errors that you make.QUOTE]

You are one of those people I would find it difficult to have a go at pix. I was only quoting your as it was easier for me to do so than pick up on two or three other comments. I didn't mean anything by my comment and I beg your forgiveness. Please accept my apology “otherwise I will send Bitch over to dig in your garden”

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 15-04-2005, 15:55   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
Doug when I say that bad spelling is a pet hate, maybe I should have said pet peeve? I know that there are people like yourself and Willows daughter who are dyslexic and cannot help any spelling errors that you make.

Shame about the grammar; surely this should read:

"...spelling errors that are made.."
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..