Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2005, 16:43   #61
God Member

Re: Wot not How.

[QUOTE=-pixie][/I never said grammer was my strong point Mr Pedantic!QUOTE]

No, but you were complaining about the standard of spelling. Grammar.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 15-04-2005 at 16:46.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2005, 16:44   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
Oooh - the taste of my own medicine is bitter!

I never said grammer was my strong point Mr Pedantic!
And how do you spell grammar?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 16:45   #63

Can someone throw me a spade please - I need to dig my hole a little deeper!
Old 15-04-2005, 16:46   #64

[QUOTE=yerself]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
[/I never said grammer was my strong point Mr Pedantic!QUOTE]

No, but you were complainig about the standard of spelling. Grammar.
And I was complainING.
Old 15-04-2005, 16:49   #65
God Member

You got him, Pixie......he edited it just as I was about to point out the error.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 16:52   #66

Im sorry if any offence may have been taken, I was just joking... I think the most spoken lang in the world is japanese ?? Thats true about the shop sign!! lol

I used guitar as an example, hehe i couldnt think of anything at that given time that i was good at...I feel i am good at it... Sorry you had to give up, I wish that never to happen to me.

There was a guy who lost a finger(or was it 2) that played killer jazz guitar!

best

robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
No I am not racist. My first language is English. My daughter's school has on record that many of pupils there do not have English as their first language. Does this make the school racist? They have bilingual staff to help otherwise how would the children cope? The native language of this country is English. Our schools teach in English.

I have learned to speak other languages. If I was living in a country where I could speak the language fluently enough to converse but was not necessarily accurate in my spelling or grammar I would verify whether or not I'd got something correct before I made a dirty great shop sign.

BTW I used to be able to play guitar but have problems with my little finger on each hand where the knuckles bend inwards and lock so I have had to give it up.
Old 15-04-2005, 17:09   #67
God Member

What is equally annoying, if not more so, is the indiscriminate use of the apostrophe. Why do people feel that every word ending in s should have an apostrophe?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 18:08   #68
Member.

Well Pendy, I can confirm that I did and still do have difficulty in formulating and pronouncing some words as one of my childhood tormentors once said “spell it miss, the dumb ******* can’t even say it”

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 15-04-2005 at 19:31.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 19:09   #69
God Member

Itry to spell correctly and if unsure will look in the dictionary, I dont mind reading posts that are misspelt, text type irritates only because I dont use it and it takes me longer to read, I dont even use it in my texts and like Pendy always go to the trouble to use capital letters. Live and let live is my motto, I would never correct anybodies spelling or grammar and wouldn't be happy if it was pointed out to me either, and I really loathe having mispronunciations pointed out.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 19:21   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego
Itry to spell correctly and if unsure will look in the dictionary, I dont mind reading posts that are misspelt, text type irritates only because I dont use it and it takes me longer to read, I dont even use it in my texts and like Pendy always go to the trouble to use capital letters. Live and let live is my motto, I would never correct anybodies spelling or grammar and wouldn't be happy if it was pointed out to me either, and I really loathe having mispronunciations pointed out.
well i agree with all that grego,teachers used to point misspelt words out,didn't like it much then but at least that was their job!
Old 15-04-2005, 19:25   #71
Senior Member+

A great little tool, add to your bookmarks http://www.spellcheck.net/

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 19:36   #72
God Member

I don't mind when teachers point out spelling mistakes, or any mistakes for that matter, I agree it is their job to do so, not keen when its anyone else though.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 19:45   #73

I am bad at spelling and do not post as much as i would like, it is hard for me to write what i want to say because i can not spell some words so i just do not bother. I have been on the Accy Web for about six months now and i have read most post. I hate it when someone has made a post then on the next post it is critisized about spelling mistakes. When i was at junior school it seemed like i had to learn everything twice, writing was i think called I.T.A. that changed, pounds shilling and pence changed and so did feet and inches all in a short time. So when someone brings up bad spelling i myself do not post for about a week, i was told that Accy Web was a friendly site and i should become a member, and that i did.
bobthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 19:52   #74
Beacon of light

Spelling does matter. I think that maybe A-B and I had English teachers of the same era,as my English teacher used to say something similar. Grammar matters too,and although I learnt the rules of grammar when I was at school, there are quite a lot of them that I have forgotten.
Having said that, I think the substance of the post is important and if the poster gets the point across well, then that is all that matters.
I would not dream of taking anyone to task about either their spelling or their grammar.
It might just put someone off posting what is a very relevant point.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 19:57   #75
Senior Member+

I think bobthedj's comment hit the whole thing on the head;it would be awful to think that someone had not posted because they are unsure of their spelling.Let's just accept everyone for what they are on here and not be too critical about the spelling and grammar;it's definitely the "wot" not the "how" that matters!

Last edited by lindsay ormerod; 15-04-2005 at 19:59.
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..