Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2005, 09:26   #1
Give, give, give member

Wot not How.

In response to an issue raised in another thread.

Does it really matter about spelling/grammar/punctuation?

Tru txt spk is v agrv8ng.

But surely heart felt sentiments outweigh beautifully written empty rhetoric?

Sorry for getting personal, but Chav never uses capitals but always manages to make his point very well, even if I usually disagree with him about lots of things!

I know it's not just one person who thinks this is an important issue, as Less also told me that bad spelling annoys him as well.

l would much rather read a badly written interesting post, than a clever wordy passage with little or no point.

Please feel free to chastise me if you see l've edited this because of spelling!

Last edited by garinda; 15-04-2005 at 09:42. Reason: Not spelling! l wrote we not I in relation to Chav's views.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2005, 09:36   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Wot not How.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Sorry for getting personal, but Chav never uses capitals but always manages to make his point very well, even if we usually disagree with him about lots of things!
I find myself agreeing with him a lot

I agree about spelling not being too important on a forum. Most of us are often rushing or just bad typists.

Got to rush off now mate building wardrobes
Old 15-04-2005, 09:53   #3

Bad spelling is my all time pet hate. It's like the visual version of nails on blackboard to me.

However it doesn't bother some people and I have to accept that it's just not a major issue with most people.

Txtspeak is annoying though unless you are fluent in retardese.
Old 15-04-2005, 09:58   #4
Senior Member+

As a bit of a stickler for spelling, I do sometimes find it difficult to read poorly spelled (spelt?) posts.

I tend to read quite fast, so this serves to slow me down a bit as well.

I generally tend to get the point of most posts, and don't point out incorrect spellings, as I know this is not some peoples' strong point (A-b excepted - see the thread that Garinda referred to!).

In the main, I agree with Garinda about the quality of the posting is sometimes more important than the spelling, but I also feel that correct spelling also counts for a lot. Doug admits that his spelling isn't great, so he tends to write his posts in Word first, which has an automatic spell-checker.

The main thing that I tend to notice is that people have problems differentiating there, their and they're!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 10:21   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the point is more important than the spelling,even if it annoys the superior!
Old 15-04-2005, 10:28   #6
Roy
Administrator

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 10:34   #7
mez
God Member

got to agree with you there (is that right ) cashman im always misspelling my words but most people know what it means, not everyone is a spell wizard.
Old 15-04-2005, 10:35   #8
mez
God Member

i bet that was hard work roy, but i read & understood every word, point taken?
Old 15-04-2005, 10:36   #9
God Member

We all make mistakes from time to time. I know that I seem to make more than my fair share and I am grateful to members for being considerate enough to point these lapses out to me when they occur.

Perhaps I am woefully behind the times in thinking that correct spelling matters. As a child I was always taught that correct spelling gave an indication of the level of respect in which I held the person I was writing to. To mispell a word through ignorance of the correct spelling was one thing, but mispelling a word because you could not be bothered to take the time to correct yourself displayed a level of contempt that was almost as bad as slapping someone in the face.

As to the accusations of "empty rhetoric" and "clever wordy passage with little or no point", that is a matter of opinion and one which garinda is as entitled to hold and express as the rest of us. It is odd though that his criticism does not appear to extend to his own pointless, spiteful and sometimes offensive comments and frequent thread wanderings.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 15-04-2005 at 10:39.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 10:36   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
The main thing that I tend to notice is that people have problems differentiating there, their and they're!
I also get that wrong, please show me the error of my ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.
PMSL i could actually read that very easily. Maybe I am just a bit odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
that is a matter of opinion and one which garinda is as entitled to hold and express as the rest of us. It is odd though that his criticism does not appear to extend to his own pointless, spiteful and sometimes offensive comments and frequent thread wanderings.
I am also fed up with garinda and his often pointless posts and thread wondering

Last edited by Neil; 15-04-2005 at 10:40.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 10:42   #11
Senior Member+

OK Neil, I'll try my best to explain the differences:

there - used when referring to the location of something; "the car is over there"

their - used when referring to someone's property; "it is their car"

they're - this is a contraction of they are; "they're going to buy a car"

Without being patronising, I hope this helps!

Old 15-04-2005, 10:47   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It is 'their' that I think I get wrong. I am going to try harder now, thanks for the help.

I am not usually bothered as I have nothing but contempt for most of the people I write to
Old 15-04-2005, 10:48   #13
Senior Member+

Does that include the people you interact with on here as well?!?!!

Old 15-04-2005, 10:51   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I was making reference to A-B's post above

I love everyone on here
( I have to say that, garinda is already going to slap me for my comment above)
Old 15-04-2005, 10:53   #15
Senior Member+

I think he has already slapped someone else on here - I am sure someone's Karma has reduced a little this morning!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..