Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 06:45   #46
God Member

Re: School closures

More snow and schools closed again.

I'm very lucky in that I work from home (and as it happens Chris already had this week booked off work) and can adapt to this sort of thing but I do wonder how some families manage.

One thing I do like about it is the strength of the mum's network for letting people know. Presumably the head has to let staff and teaching assistants know, they then text all their mum friends who then pass it on. Within 15 minutes most people know the school is closed.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2010, 07:14   #47
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
One thing I do like about it is the strength of the mum's network for letting people know. Presumably the head has to let staff and teaching assistants know, they then text all their mum friends who then pass it on. Within 15 minutes most people know the school is closed.
Am I the only one that thinks that is a pathetic way for people to find out?

Some schools use text messages to inform parents of such things like closures and children not arriving at school unauthorised.

I know not everyone has a mobile but most people do. Some people only have a mobile because they can work out cheaper for low usage customers.

I do agree with you about you being lucky you can manage to cope when the school is closed.
Schools need to remember that they are more than an education facility, they are also a care provider so parents can work. It is not our fault as parents that teachers can not get to work. I find it hard to believe most of them cant. As for the health and safety in the school grounds I don't fully buy into that. As long as a route is clear from the footpath to the main school door then it is safe. How long would that take for most schools? Once inside the kids don't need to go out again like on rainy days.

Millions of children and parents are being put at great inconvenience because of poor school policy and provision for the weather.

A bloke who works with me but lives in Clitheroe set off for work yesterday at 5am, he got in at 8.30am. It usually takes him an hour. He did not sit on his but at home thinking its too snowy. He lives in the real world and knows the company need and expect him to be in work.

Ok rant over its coffee time.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:26   #48
God Member

You need to go back to bed, you definitely got out the wrong side this morning.

Well, I think it's good that there's a mum's network. It's not the school texting people, it's the mums who all know each other letting each other know. The school uses the more traditional methods like having it announced on the radio. How would you like them to get the word out to everyone in a short space of time?

As for the closure itself. Yes, I think it should make the effort unless the heating is broken or something like that. If the only reason the school is closed is because of the playground then yes, they probably should clear a path and then keep the kids in at break times. Because if that's the reason then I can't see the school opening at all this week.

But, I guess they have to have the right number of staff for the pupils that turn up and they can't run the risk of accepting the pupils into the school and then not enough teachers/assistants turning up. One problem, that I've mentioned before, is that quite a lot of the staff from St Mary's live outside the area. I'm sure that's the case in most schools these days. It's also the case in most businesses, when really you'd probably be able to find the quality of staff within the locality.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:45   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I always get out of the same side, there were 2 bodies in the way for me to get out the other side

It just bugs me that they close for something and nothing. They don't appear to understand the importance of being open.

I will have no objection to being outside clearing snow when I am in work. It would take no time at all for the school staff to clear the path to St Mary's door. The staff have a contractual responsibility to get to work, they appear to forget that and many of them think its great that they have extra days off work. What a terrible attitude to work that is. I am in Friday and will be leaving early so I don't let my mates and the company down. They need me and I will do my best to get in. I wont look out the door, see some snow, say sod it and go back to bed for an extra holiday.

Anyway do your lot fancy some goat powered sledging today

We could have races, my money is on Dexter, although he has looked a bit down recently.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:48   #50
God Member

Quote:
More snow and schools closed again.

I'm very lucky in that I work from home (and as it happens Chris already had this week booked off work) and can adapt to this sort of thing but I do wonder how some families manage.

Considering this I wonder if that approach will be used up there;

Falkirk Council said they would make the decision early on Wednesday morning whether schools would be closed or not.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:12   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Anyway do your lot fancy some goat powered sledging today

We could have races, my money is on Dexter, although he has looked a bit down recently.

I went up to look at them yesterday and they weren't even keen on coming out of their shed. I don't think you'd get them into a sledge.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:38   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I went up to look at them yesterday and they weren't even keen on coming out of their shed. I don't think you'd get them into a sledge.
I said goat powered you div. If you want to take them for a walk just say and I will get them out for you, they love it.

Well that is if I had any keys for the park today. I have lent my only remaining set to them again so we would have to use yours. That's 3 sets of my keys they have - getting fed up with them now not getting their own cut and giving me ours back

Looks like I will be phoning Elizabeth again.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:57   #53
God Member

I put a smilie.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:53   #54

All Saints C of E in Clayton le Moors will be closed Thursday....
Old 06-01-2010, 10:53   #55
Resting in Peace

You lent your keys to the goats?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
You lent your keys to the goats?
Well it is ossy beni.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36   #57

When i worked in schools which was up till 4 years ago, all staff was meant to report to the nearest school if they could not get into their own school. Meaning that all schools should remain open. But saying that i have never known anyone report to their nearest school.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:12   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well it is ossy beni.
Next thing you know it will be dogs

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26   #59
God Member

Neil hasn't given the key to the goats, they'd only abuse the priviledge. Next thing you know they'd be walking down Union Road and stealing lettuce from Tesco.

He's given his keys to the people who look after the goats!

Old 06-01-2010, 13:50   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Neil hasn't given the key to the goats, they'd only abuse the priviledge. Next thing you know they'd be walking down Union Road and stealing lettuce from Tesco.

He's given his keys to the people who look after the goats!
Last time I let the goat look after his own he let himself out and left the park for a walk. I tried to explain that his DEFRA license is only for anywhere in the park but he did not understand so I took his key back off him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..