Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which Of these is to blame?
It's the newbies own fault they signed up. 1 5.26%
It's the Oldbies fault, if they'd given up years ago there'd be no AccyWeb to upset folk with. 0 0%
It's the fault of the do-gooders always moaning about the hard time newbies have 3 15.79%
It's the Cliques fault, anyone that survives to post more than 5 posts is a member. 5 26.32%
It's the Mod's fault, (please ignore all questions above, it's always the mods fault). 6 31.58%
Less's Fault 1,004 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2012, 19:50   #16
God Member

Re: Who's Fault Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
So ... the newbies are random mutants. How does the selective retention come about. And at what point do we now stand in the evolutionary process?

Stand where you want Eric, nowt's going to change
Old 30-11-2012, 20:06   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Stand where you want Eric, nowt's going to change
I think I'll forget about standing ... going around on all fours seems like more fun ... easier to navigate when you are hammered
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 20:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whilst i think this is a very sensible post fer anything goes, n can agree up to a point, I would say, i always welcome a new member that takes the trouble to introduce themselves,I also find most of those yeh mention in (A) rarely do take that trouble, But no-one is compelled to do so, So therefore i will continue to be suspicious of certain first posts, rightly or wrongly,thats me simple as.
*Is getting irritated by the title of this thread*...

I don't think you're wrong to be suspicious at all!
Neither do I recall you being one of the hostile ones, at least recently, though?

Being wary is one thing, acting accordingly i.e being unwelcoming and nasty, is quite another!

(I did an introductory post but only when prompted-some forums do not favour them, I can see why not everybody is familiar with individual forum etiquette and so does not do one).
*EDIT*
Just read the 'Advice' thread, Cashman yes your 'suspicion' was 'voiced', I see now!

Last edited by Sunflower49; 30-11-2012 at 20:32. Reason: Read another thread!
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 20:25   #19
God Member

By the way, a newbie called "Catpal" posted his/her first post without going through the "normal" channel of introducing him/herself. I posted a polite(ish) response without saying something like: "Hey, dumbass, don't you know that you are supposed to introduce yourself formally before posting"?

But, I tend not to take anything too seriously, particularly myself. "Life's .... a tale/Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,/Signifying nothing." Once we figure out who the idiot is, things may get better." But don't hold your breath
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 20:26   #20
Beacon of light

c'mon Eric.........don't you know who the idiot is?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 20:27   #21

Most people were fine with me, and I just joined in an existing thread!
I did get accused of being 'Chris' and 'Elliebootgirl', though-but I can cope with that!
Old 30-11-2012, 20:29   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And at what point do we now stand in the evolutionary process?
Homo habilis ?? Maybe ??
Old 30-11-2012, 20:51   #23
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
If we continue to greet new members in this way, with suspicion and nasty words, and then treat the people who defend the new members with the same name calling, how is the site to prosper, you will be left with a core of vinegar spouting people.

How is this suspicion of new members, its also slagging of the people who defend the new members. So the argument that this is just against new members is a load of tosh. New members should be allowed a few posts along with mistakes, before the nasty boys get together and force another person off site, and people are leaving due to this attitude.
Oooh you do go on don't you?
For goodness sake lighten up a little, your above rant was extremely vinegar to the extreme equally as bad if not worse than those that you accuse.
Don't worry so much there are plenty of newbies to go around, at least six more signed up today.
Perhaps you're worried because you don't get first dibs on choosing the target for today?
Tell you what I'll ask the mod to ban cashy for the day and you can choose the next one while he's away.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 20:51   #24
Super Moderator

It's the EU's fault. Everything's the EU's fault.
Old 30-11-2012, 21:14   #25
I am Banned

Its a government conspiracy.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 21:26   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oooh you do go on don't you?
For goodness sake lighten up a little, your above rant was extremely vinegar to the extreme equally as bad if not worse than those that you accuse.
Don't worry so much there are plenty of newbies to go around, at least six more signed up today.
Perhaps you're worried because you don't get first dibs on choosing the target for today?
Tell you what I'll ask the mod to ban cashy for the day and you can choose the next one while he's away.
Whats the point of asking the question and then suppressing the ones who have a point to make, by saying they are the same as newbie bashers.
Name calling and bullying the new members is not polite in any forum, and I have a right to say so.
The point you cannot escape , is, there are people on here who like to be nasty and bullying to new and established members, if you have nothing nice to say, say nowt.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 21:26   #27

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

I question the validity of someone voting for 'its the fault of the do-gooders always moaning about the hard time newbies have' when as a newbie they posted a major whining thread in general chat about an established member being nasty to them.

As for my vote...it's the mods fault...because you either let the keyboard warriors (myself included) attack each other at will or delete all possible inflammatory posts like this one the instant they become aware of them.
Old 30-11-2012, 21:41   #28

Quote:
Whats the point of asking the question and then suppressing the ones who have a point to make, by saying they are the same as newbie bashers.
Name calling and bullying the new members is not polite in any forum, and I have a right to say so.
The point you cannot escape ,
I haven't suppressed anything, it's yet another of my flippant threads meant to see if there is any humour on the site, surely you read the questions in the poll? Did they not give you a clue that this thread can't in anyway be taken seriously?
Yes you have a right to say so, just as I have the right not to take you or the topic seriously, anyone would think you could come up with a more interesting way to spend your life than condemning other members of a site that both they and you contribute to voluntarily.
I think no more or less of you for holding your views just find that you suffer far more repeats than BBC 2.
Old 30-11-2012, 21:56   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I haven't suppressed anything, it's yet another of my flippant threads meant to see if there is any humour on the site, surely you read the questions in the poll? Did they not give you a clue that this thread can't in anyway be taken seriously?
Yes you have a right to say so, just as I have the right not to take you or the topic seriously, anyone would think you could come up with a more interesting way to spend your life than condemning other members of a site that both they and you contribute to voluntarily.
I think no more or less of you for holding your views just find that you suffer far more repeats than BBC 2.
If the thread is a joke, then I didnt get it, what I did get was the treatment of new members, and the name calling of people who stand up for them. This I don't find funny, and yes you are right it is voluntary contribution, and I like BBC 2.

If this attitude is to be dominant then the good people will be banished to the sidelines, and the site will be poorer for it, and perhaps it will not be so funny then,
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 22:13   #30

Quote:
If the thread is a joke, then I didnt get it, what I did get was the treatment of new members, and the name calling of people who stand up for them. This I don't find funny, and yes you are right it is voluntary contribution, and I like BBC 2.

If this attitude is to be dominant then the good people will be banished to the sidelines, and the site will be poorer for it, and perhaps it will not be so funny then,
you've said all that in the other thread, in fact you've said it in just about every thread you contribute to.
I'm sorry you didn't get the humour but am not one bit surprised.
Somehow no matter how many times you proclaim doom & gloom and lack of membership, I think you are wrong, but please stick with us, because if you're right we'll need someone to switch the lights off and lock the doors on the way out.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..