Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

Margaret Pilkington 23-10-2019 21:36

Re: Today in pictures

So not the same sculptor.....and yet they look similar in style.
I did not know who the sculptors were and was too idle to search....so Thankyou Ryewolf for furthering my education yet again.
You can always learn something on Accyweb....one thing is Never Bet!:) and certainly not with your life(though mine is old and tatty).

Ryewolf90 24-10-2019 00:36

I only knew because I've photographed them both before, several times, and had researched who the sculptors were. The image of the one outside Elmfield Hall I took earlier this month.

I've also photographed the one in Oak Hill Park, the WWI memorial which was designed by Sir Charles Herbert Reilly, the sculptor was Herbert Tyson Smith.

The war memorial in Oswaldtwistle was produced by Louis Frederick Roslyn, he also created the memorials in Clitheroe, Darwen, Haslingden and Rawtenstall.

DaveinGermany 25-10-2019 22:23

4 Attachment(s)
While home the other week I visited a good friend (Ex Military mate) who lives down on Mersea Island. On the approach to the Island they've been paying their respects to local lads who fell in the "Great War".

I also eventually managed to visit the National Arboretum in Staffordshire, a very moving & emotional experience (in particular the Bastion memorial wall, KRA Elliot being for me the most significant).

Ryewolf90 02-11-2019 21:40

8 Attachment(s)
Just the Average Weekend in Blackburn, Cowboys, the Mayor and Mayoress, Hares Riding BMX's and Silent Films

landhusweg 04-11-2019 07:49

Hi Ryewolf90,

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the occasion?

Cheers

Ryewolf90 04-11-2019 11:44

It was part of the British Textile Biennial Festival.

This was celebrating the pioneering Blackburn Film-makers Mitchell and Kenyon and the centenary of the Cotton Exchange becoming a cinema.

In 1899 Mitchell and Kenyon produced KIDNAPPING BY INDIANS, a film that is now recognised as the first western ever made

landhusweg 05-11-2019 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1233345)
It was part of the British Textile Biennial Festival.

This was celebrating the pioneering Blackburn Film-makers Mitchell and Kenyon and the centenary of the Cotton Exchange becoming a cinema.

In 1899 Mitchell and Kenyon produced KIDNAPPING BY INDIANS, a film that is now recognised as the first western ever made

Thanks for the Info. Ryewolf90.

Nice to see that (maybe) one of my ancesters came to fame!

Cheers

Philip Kenyon

Ryewolf90 26-11-2019 00:01

2 Attachment(s)
Some images from the past few weeks...

Accrington at night

Ryewolf90 26-11-2019 00:05

3 Attachment(s)
Some abstracts...

1. An electric guitar in a shop window
2. Christmas Baubles in a shop window
3. Faceted Glass on the floor outside a shop

Ryewolf90 26-11-2019 00:08

2 Attachment(s)
For an A-Z Challenge...

1. U for Underwear
2. V for Vinyl

Ryewolf90 26-11-2019 00:11

3 Attachment(s)
Some ICM's (Intentional Camera Movement) of the Christmas tree in Clitheroe

Margaret Pilkington 08-12-2019 19:17

10 Attachment(s)
I went to Manchester last week..thought I had better make the most of it while the X41 is still with us.
So there are three pictures from that visit(I did take more).....
and yesterday I took a young man to The St Nicholas Markets in York...we went on a day trip with moving people.
If I say it was packed then this is an understatement...could not realy view the wares as there were too many folk milling around.
So there are some pics of YORK.
Some of these were taken at dusk so they look a bit dark, but that is because it was dark.
I hope you enjoy my pics

1) a bauble on the tree outside the Cathedral.....if you look closely you can see Manchester reflected and little me.
2) this sculpture is outside St Anne's Church....and while I am not religious this sculpture makes me feel incredibly sad.
3) the feet of the Sculpture which clearly show it to be a homeless Christ crucified(there is a message in there somewhere)
4) A glorious Christmas Wreath outise an eating establishment in York
5) A christmas Lantern outside the Lamb and Lion by Bootham Gate.
6) Cascade of light on a church nar the minster.
7) the green space near the minster in dusk and lit with festive lights.
8) Shoppers gazing into well lit windows.
9) Warm and cosy glow of the tearooms.
10 Another well lit shop front.

Gremlin 20-12-2019 08:34

1 Attachment(s)
My partner bought me the best present I have ever had. A day out on a vintage train hauled by the Flying Scotsman, We travelled to Carlisle where we stayed for three hours before returning along the Carlisle Settle line to Blackburn. We were upgraded for nothing to a six seater first class compartment with another couple who we got on with really well. Free coffee was served and both the other couple and ourselves had taken a a wicker hamper for refreshments on the journey.
There were so many photographers pushing and shoving to get photos when we stopped at Carlisle that I only managed to get one shot which didn't have people across the shot.
The Flying Scotsman with 14 coaches must have been a fantastic sight as it hurtled up Shap fell on the West Coast line without loosing speed.
It runs again this Saturday (21/12/2019) and I think it leaves Blackburn about 0830 hrs heading towards Clitheroe and onwards to Carlisle.

Margaret Pilkington 20-12-2019 10:03

Oh Russell, what a wonderful gift that was and it has obviously tickled you to little mint balls.
You .deserve it.
Your picture is lovely...I hope you are going to have it blown up, printed and framed as a reminder of your wonderful experience.
To you and Marlene...have a lovely Christmas and a peaceful and happy New Year.
Mx

DaveinGermany 20-12-2019 18:30

Nice one Boycie! :D