Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2012, 18:45   #211
Resting in Peace

Re: Nuisance telephone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Don't recall his name, but if it was Jack,it wasn't,if yeh get me drift.
Ya certainly do
Old 20-09-2012, 19:42   #212

I keep getting calls on my landline phone from an international number telling me I am eligible for a grant for cavity wall insulation, in fact I had one a few minutes ago - they obviously are working from a script and don't know what to say when I tell them I'm not interested. The Asian sounding man I just spoke to said he would take me off their list, but I don't believe him! I have the caller preferencing service but they still get through.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 21:40   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I keep getting calls on my landline phone from an international number telling me I am eligible for a grant for cavity wall insulation, in fact I had one a few minutes ago - they obviously are working from a script and don't know what to say when I tell them I'm not interested. The Asian sounding man I just spoke to said he would take me off their list, but I don't believe him! I have the caller preferencing service but they still get through.
Quite a few of my Asian callers tell me they have English names, so I tell them my name is Abdul. I think I am doing my bit for international relations.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 21:55   #214
Senior Member+

We got a call tonight about insulation. My wife answered the phone and was asked if they were speaking to the house owner. My wife replied " no you are talking to the dog" to which they promptly rang off.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 09:11   #215
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I keep getting calls on my landline phone from an international number telling me I am eligible for a grant for cavity wall insulation, in fact I had one a few minutes ago - they obviously are working from a script and don't know what to say when I tell them I'm not interested. The Asian sounding man I just spoke to said he would take me off their list, but I don't believe him! I have the caller preference service but they still get through.
Preference service doesn't work on foreign calls Anne that's why they use them, if you get another just say oh goody goody your doing council houses now, the phone soon goes dead
Old 21-09-2012, 09:12   #216
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Quite a few of my Asian callers tell me they have English names, so I tell them my name is Abdul. I think I am doing my bit for international relations.
Ah so Jack rang you too Michael
Old 21-09-2012, 21:02   #217

Thank you for the tips, I will definitely try next time they phone, the problem is that if you don't answer they just carry on phoning, on one of my days off they phoned about 15 times.
Old 21-09-2012, 21:11   #218
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Thank you for the tips, I will definitely try next time they phone, the problem is that if you don't answer they just carry on phoning, on one of my days off they phoned about 15 times.
They tend not to ring back if yer really offensive to em. Aint telling yeh to swear, but its pretty easy really.
Old 21-09-2012, 21:33   #219

Quote:
They tend not to ring back if yer really offensive to em. Aint telling yeh to swear, but its pretty easy really.
I've tried being nasty but not swearing yet - but I do have a foul mouth when necessary - I'll give that a try!
Old 21-09-2012, 21:39   #220
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I've tried being nasty but not swearing yet - but I do have a foul mouth when necessary - I'll give that a try!
I used to put the phone in the other room fer about 20 mins then hang up. but no pleasure really in that.
Old 21-09-2012, 21:57   #221

Quote:
I used to put the phone in the other room fer about 20 mins then hang up. but no pleasure really in that.
That's another good idea, just leave their bill mounting up, I suppose I could leave it for hours and use my mobile!
Old 21-09-2012, 23:51   #222

They told me I was eligible for cavity wall insulation and made an appointment to come and install it. When they arrived they said that a mid-terraced house built of rough stone wasn't suitable and that I should have been told that in the first place.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 09:18   #223
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's another good idea, just leave their bill mounting up, I suppose I could leave it for hours and use my mobile!
Na it doesn't work that, I once thought I'd try and see just how long they'd stay on line, I just said hello and listened and when I didn't acknowledge his first question he hung up about 15 seconds
Old 22-09-2012, 09:21   #224
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
They told me I was eligible for cavity wall insulation and made an appointment to come and install it. When they arrived they said that a mid-terraced house built of rough stone wasn't suitable and that I should have been told that in the first place.
Ya Judith they don't have too many properties in India like that
Old 22-09-2012, 21:40   #225
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I was once told, don't know how true it is?, they are unable to make another call wi the phone whilst its off the hook.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..