Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2011, 09:26   #196
Senior Member+

Re: Nuisance telephone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Everytime I've bought anything on line its been a secure site, would use it otherwise
Even secure sites can be a problem. They are all in business to make money, and if it means selling lists they will do just that.The calls show on our phone as "out of area" so its left to ring out

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2011, 09:31   #197
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Even secure sites can be a problem. They are all in business to make money, and if it means selling lists they will do just that.The calls show on our phone as "out of area" so its left to ring out
I think you'll find that under the data protection act companies are obliged to ask you if they can give your name to other outlets, that's the reason there is usually a box which says tick the box if you don't want your details being passed onto other companies
Old 18-01-2011, 09:42   #198
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think you'll find that under the data protection act companies are obliged to ask you if they can give your name to other outlets, that's the reason there is usually a box which says tick the box if you don't want your details being passed onto other companies
That don't always work

Albert Einstein.

Old 18-01-2011, 09:53   #199
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
That don't always work
Well it should do, because firms that ignore your wishes are breaking the law and the penalties can be very severe
Old 18-01-2011, 10:04   #200
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well it should do, because firms that ignore your wishes are breaking the law and the penalties can be very severe
I like that, and remember it the next time I tick the no box

Albert Einstein.

Old 18-09-2012, 10:50   #201

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to warn folk on here about something.

I had a call last week from 'Me' Magazine, saying that a survey I filled in recently had meant I entered into a prize draw, and I had won a day at a health spa as well as various vouchers. I apparently was to be sent a free magazine which also contained some vouchers, and an information pack telling me where to book my spa day etc.
Alll I had to do was, surprise surprise-pay £1 for the postage and packing for this stuff, and for this they needed by debit card details.
I was suspicious, and asked them to email me with the details ("No no Miss we can't do that") or send me a confirmation in writing-again, (heavy foreign accent of some sort "No no Miss we can't do that") and in the end I told them to b0g off an put the phone down.
BUT, I didn't tell him this immediately. I was intrigued by it and the only reason I didn't go for it, is because I'm cute. I can TOTALLY see why somebody else would do.
What made me think it may be genuine, is this chap gave me a word that he said confirmed their genuineness, a password that I had used when filling in the survey. It WAS a password I have used in the past, quite often. No idea where he had that from.
When I put the 'phone down I searched the 'net and found this ,
BEWARE 'ME MAGAZINE' SCAM!!! - Your say! - Made For Mums
& I am 99.9% sure that this 'Me Magazine' company, is where the call was from.
I've no idea how they manage to get away with scamming people in this day and age but just wanted to let people know just in case you're next on their dialler!
Old 18-09-2012, 17:43   #202
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to warn folk on here about something.

I had a call last week from 'Me' Magazine, saying that a survey I filled in recently had meant I entered into a prize draw, and I had won a day at a health spa as well as various vouchers. I apparently was to be sent a free magazine which also contained some vouchers, and an information pack telling me where to book my spa day etc.
Alll I had to do was, surprise surprise-pay £1 for the postage and packing for this stuff, and for this they needed by debit card details.
I was suspicious, and asked them to email me with the details ("No no Miss we can't do that") or send me a confirmation in writing-again, (heavy foreign accent of some sort "No no Miss we can't do that") and in the end I told them to b0g off an put the phone down.
BUT, I didn't tell him this immediately. I was intrigued by it and the only reason I didn't go for it, is because I'm cute. I can TOTALLY see why somebody else would do.
What made me think it may be genuine, is this chap gave me a word that he said confirmed their genuineness, a password that I had used when filling in the survey. It WAS a password I have used in the past, quite often. No idea where he had that from.
When I put the 'phone down I searched the 'net and found this ,
BEWARE 'ME MAGAZINE' SCAM!!! - Your say! - Made For Mums
& I am 99.9% sure that this 'Me Magazine' company, is where the call was from.
I've no idea how they manage to get away with scamming people in this day and age but just wanted to let people know just in case you're next on their dialler!
Anybody that listens for two seconds to a cold call such as this is asking for trouble, I have a script for them just two words P***OFF sems to work
Old 18-09-2012, 20:50   #203

I keep getting text messages saying I am owed X amount for PPI. The trouble is I have never taken out PPI protection.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 21:29   #204
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I keep getting text messages saying I am owed X amount for PPI. The trouble is I have never taken out PPI protection.
I've just received a test saying that there is £1,900 PPI waitng for me to claim, exactly the same amount wason a text sent to my wife's phone
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 21:42   #205
Senior Member+

I received a text message before stating that I could claim up to £4000 for my injuries in the car accident I had. Funny enough I don't recall any car accident. Must be amnesia

Those PPI companies use aggressive marketing to get people to claim. They aren't always scams. Just attempts to use you to try and make claim, whether or not you had PPI from anywhere.

I worked in a department for a short while that deals with claim letters from companies that try for the PPI claims. Since all the TVads etc and all the different PPI/Claims/solicitors forming the department is inundated every day with 100's of these letters from over 60 different claim companies. One PPI claim company I know of doesn't do a thorough investigation when the customer asks if they can claim. They must just say, yeah sure and apply anyway. At least 80 out of 100 letters that I sorted through never had PPI on their account. A lot of these companies aren't even registered with the ministry of justice.
Old 18-09-2012, 22:23   #206

Quote:
Anybody that listens for two seconds to a cold call such as this is asking for trouble, I have a script for them just two words P***OFF sems to work
Haha-you know though sometimes, I like winding them up. It only works if they can understand English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I've just received a test saying that there is £1,900 PPI waitng for me to claim, exactly the same amount wason a text sent to my wife's phone
Lol
I did have PPI for about 6 months before I realised (before the whole trend began) that it was probably not worth it and I stopped it. I claimed the monies back myself by just writing to Barclays. I still get all these PPI calls though.
Old 19-09-2012, 08:42   #207
Resting in Peace

If you think you might have some PPI owing to you just go on the Which Wed Site, they have template forms for you to fill in, heard only yesterday that 700 firms last year had their licences removed for wrong doings with PPI claims
Old 20-09-2012, 10:11   #208
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Got one yesterday evening from some foreign gent doing a survey he said, had trouble understanding him, but he sure understood Pish Off n hung up on me.
Old 20-09-2012, 18:19   #209
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Got one yesterday evening from some foreign gent doing a survey he said, had trouble understanding him, but he sure understood Pish Off n hung up on me.
Ya probable the guy who rang me so he knew what was coming
ps his name wasn't jack was it, he rang me on consecutive nights last week
Old 20-09-2012, 18:38   #210
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Ya probable the guy who rang me so he knew what was coming
ps his name wasn't jack was it, he rang me on consecutive nights last week
Don't recall his name, but if it was Jack,it wasn't,if yeh get me drift.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..