Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2007, 16:31   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accy Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by accypete View Post
He was still jumping in front of cars on Blackburn Road nr the Sacred Heart and shooting them with his walking stick in the mid 80's
think he died in the 80s.
Old 06-10-2007, 15:39   #92

Also the Disco over the top of Catlows fruit and veg, you got a stamp on the back of your hand there. Also if you hadnt rinced out all the soap out of your tights, it would show up all patchy, and white because of the blue lights they had on there.[/quote]

My sister used to forge the tatoos on people's hands in return for the odd drink.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 15:49   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Also the Disco over the top of Catlows fruit and veg, you got a stamp on the back of your hand there. Also if you hadnt rinced out all the soap out of your tights, it would show up all patchy, and white because of the blue lights they had on there.
My sister used to forge the tatoos on people's hands in return for the odd drink.[/quote]

Catlow's fruit and veg on the corner of Roegreave Road, that is now Buy-the-House? I can't remember that.

Being older than me () do you remember Gobbinlander's Disco that my Dad used to own/run with Ossy butcher Tony Perkins? It was on the corner block up from the old Co-op, and used to be the old Co-op shoe shop, and was open from 1971-75.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 15:58   #94
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Also the Disco over the top of Catlows fruit and veg, you got a stamp on the back of your hand there. Also if you hadnt rinced out all the soap out of your tights, it would show up all patchy, and white because of the blue lights they had on there.

Doh, just realised you meant Accy, not Ossy.

Ignore me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 15:34   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Doh, just realised you meant Accy, not Ossy.

Ignore me.
How could I do that Rindy? (especially when you are thumping me in GT this month)

I'm getting closer to knowing who you are at least. I knew your Dad's shop, & Clive & Stephen who worked for him part time during the late 70's early 80's.
I remember the Big D disco on harvey street was he connected to that too?
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 04:57   #96
Senior Member+

Anyone remember Tommy Ent the old tramp in Accy around the late 50s and 60s, also no one mentioned Reta, she lived just down from the Church and Ossy station. She once chased us into the boys lavs at the Tech. Did anybody else get chased off the lodges at the top of Plantation St by the old bloke with a cane? I think his name was Bowker.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 12:46   #97
Senior Member+

i remember being told of reta
she was a lady of the night if i recall correctly

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 18:03   #98
Passed away 25-11-09

I used to see Retta Garrity on my way home from school when I was at Paddock House. She always said hello to me, which was embarrassing to say the least, and I daren't ignore her because she had a violent temper if she was crossed, I heard her screaming and swearing at the top of her voice many a time. She was a scary woman.
Old 17-10-2007, 18:09   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I used to see Retta Garrity on my way home from school when I was at Paddock House. She always said hello to me, which was embarrassing to say the least, and I daren't ignore her because she had a violent temper if she was crossed, I heard her screaming and swearing at the top of her voice many a time. She was a scary woman.
I remember her too West Ender as you describe .. that's all really, sorry, not trolling. The 'talk' was that she was a lady of the night, but only knew the gossip .. gosh, she was 'rough' though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 18:14   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBallz View Post
What about modern day characters. Anyone know mad Pete "The Rockin Reverend" Rapson. He must be in his late fifties but still goes out round town usually wearing a striped suit with trainers and has his own unique progressive dancing style involving alot of side-to-side bouncing around and arm flailing  ???.
he still scares me LOL, he's still about singing elvis & gatecrashing kareokee venues round accy, i used to babysit next door long way before the groovy madness kicked off & bible bashing was the only sermon he preached till his breakdown then all went pin striped & trainers oh & other humerous behaviour, but as in hall of local character fame suppose brought a new lease of life & bop the dance floor & out sing the young uns ..............wonder if he'll go on X factor or Britains got talent soon

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 18:31   #101
Senior Member+

peter still sings often heard on sunday
in the imperial gladly he has stopped bringing
his own guitar

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 18:36   #102
God Member

LOL beechy dont say the imperial have provided him with one there to use heheehe

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 19:39   #103
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I remember her too West Ender as you describe .. that's all really, sorry, not trolling. The 'talk' was that she was a lady of the night, but only knew the gossip .. gosh, she was 'rough' though.

The gossip was correct, Kate. I used to see her standing by the roadside under the railway bridge by Church station (she lived opposite). She used to step out in front of lorries and flag them down.
Old 17-10-2007, 20:04   #104
God Member

My first husband got booked for speeding and had to appear at Church Magistrates Court (just the clock remains there now) She was up in court the same morning for urinating in a public place. The only reason he was speeding through Church was to avoid her, because she had jumped out into the road trying to stop his motorbike on one occasion previously.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 23:22   #105

I remember the Michael Jackson impersonator I remember him walking through marks and spencers when I was a kid doing his stuff...

There's a great guy who I always say hello too when I see him, an old fella with white hair. Has/had a dog called max, lives up hodder street way I think, he's often seen around town playing his harmonica, I've got a video of him on my other computer playing his harmonica and pointing his walking stick at my camera What a guy!
magaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..