Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2004, 13:01   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Accy Characters

Correct Karen he was always shout in 'everyting 5 pounds'
Old 09-03-2005, 08:58   #62

Who remembers Arthur Mort. He had an allotment at the top of Plantation Street where he used to keep his horse. I guess he would be one of the last characters in Accy to use an horse and cart for his buisness, a type of removel man and very well known he was to. We used to help him cut grass in Accy cemetary for his horse Blossom and then ride on the cart back to his allotment. Mort died last year 2004, I guess he would have been in his 80s
Ha well, Another character gone forever.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:59   #63

Who remembers Arthur Mort. He had an allotment at the top of Plantation Street where he used to keep his horse. I guess he would be one of the last characters in Accy to use an horse and cart for his buisness, a type of removel man and very well known he was to. We used to help him cut grass in Accy cemetary for his horse Blossom and then ride on the cart back to his allotment. Mort died last year 2004, I guess he would have been in his 80s
Old 09-03-2005, 13:46   #64
Resting in peace

Not so much an Accy character as a Church character - I think he may have come up before - anybody remember Black Prince? He lived in Henry Street in Church, sold toothpaste on the markets around Lancashire wearing a pink & white striped blazer and a boater. His slogan was "Ladies and gentlemen, these are my own teef"! For many years he was the only black man anyone had seen - he was reported to be an African Prince, which is quite possible. He was a charming man, always polite and well spoken, lovely deep voice.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 13:45   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
( arthur mortimer),my mate an i was once in the copper kettle (edge of market) early morning when in came a local women of the night who we knew(not phsically) she told us she was goin to preston sessions as a witness for summat or other an was waiting for her lift,we expected a taxi or summat,20mins later arthur pulled up-she left an got on the cart an off they went-one of the funniest things i ever saw in my life an that is gospel.
Old 05-04-2005, 15:39   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardess
Your welcome, Do any members remember the small stocky man wiht the bob hat who was the cleaner in the gents loo on Peel street a few years ago? before the new development.
Bert Seery was his name,when you talked to him every sentence he said began with the word stuttin,such as (stuttin hell fire).
Sadly Bert died a couple of years ago.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 23:40   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

who remembers the guy who used to be in the observor every xmas-used to pinch the candlesticks from sacred heart an other churches,then walk into the police station an give his self up so he would have a xmas dinner in clink,the magisrates knew him well and always obliged,can't remember his name,who does?
Old 21-04-2005, 21:32   #68
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Not so much an Accy character as a Church character - I think he may have come up before - anybody remember Black Prince? He lived in Henry Street in Church, sold toothpaste on the markets around Lancashire wearing a pink & white striped blazer and a boater. His slogan was "Ladies and gentlemen, these are my own teef"! For many years he was the only black man anyone had seen - he was reported to be an African Prince, which is quite possible. He was a charming man, always polite and well spoken, lovely deep voice.

I remember Prince from when I was very small (pre-school, i.e. pre-1947). He was, I believe, a West Indian and his christian name was Prince. He was the only black man I knew and I used to stare at the poor man whenever I saw him on the bus. He, in return, used to wink at me, much to my delight.
Old 21-04-2005, 21:39   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
I am well aware of Pete Rapson's antics. Remember him jumping off tables at Accy CC at a Heavy Metal gig - quite a character. Anyone know the asian guy (20's) who tries to convince people he is Michael Jackson - haven't seen him since the allegations.....

re: 'p*ccy ali' - Yeah....c'mon mods, if we are gonna have certain words we cant write then it needs to be across the board. Not just when thin-skinned lefties complain.
There used to be a guy who tried to convince everyone he was Michael Jackson. He'd easily be in his early 40's now because it was about 20 years ago that I remember him from - around about the Thriller period.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2005, 21:45   #70

Disc 'n tape - and what was the other little record shop called, I think it was a woman's name?
Old 21-04-2005, 21:46   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLass
There used to be a guy who tried to convince everyone he was Michael Jackson. He'd easily be in his early 40's now because it was about 20 years ago that I remember him from - around about the Thriller period.
Good god yeah I remember him purple lass !!!!!!!!!!! wonder if he is still trying to convince people???

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2005, 21:49   #72

Anyone remember the really tall bloke who used to eat lit cigarettes? Don't ask me why but I think it was his party trick.
Old 21-04-2005, 23:32   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

used to be a guy i knew well ate and chewed up a pint glass in the long gone black bull,he was from haslingden,probably explains it.
Old 23-04-2005, 11:17   #74

I think I know the guy you are talking about. He used to eat cigarettes for a free pint. His name is Tony Dullard, nickname Twiggy. He went to liive in Fleetwood and I have'nt seen him since.
Old 23-04-2005, 13:36   #75
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Smile Re: Accy Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
I think I know the guy you are talking about. He used to eat cigarettes for a free pint. His name is Tony Dullard, nickname Twiggy. He went to liive in Fleetwood and I have'nt seen him since.
sure your correct but his name is Dillard,use to know the dipstick slightly.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..