Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2007, 11:07   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: Accy Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaz View Post
I remember the Michael Jackson impersonator I remember him walking through marks and spencers when I was a kid doing his stuff...

There's a great guy who I always say hello too when I see him, an old fella with white hair. Has/had a dog called max, lives up hodder street way I think, he's often seen around town playing his harmonica, I've got a video of him on my other computer playing his harmonica and pointing his walking stick at my camera What a guy!
Well, if that's a picture of you on yer profile magaz .. look quite a character yerself .

Westender: Yes, that's where I always saw Reta .. must have been 'her patch'
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-10-2007, 11:28   #107

haha yeah thats me
magaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 14:15   #108
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

RE- Reta, Hope her sons not a member???
Old 15-11-2007, 15:19   #109
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
RE- Reta, Hope her sons not a member???

He must be in his 70s now. I can't remember his Christian name but I remember seeing him around Ossy in the 50s.
Old 15-11-2007, 19:08   #110
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
He must be in his 70s now. I can't remember his Christian name but I remember seeing him around Ossy in the 50s.
begins with K
Old 22-01-2008, 02:06   #111

Hi, sorry been away for a long time due to ill health in family, good to hear what you all have to say, been catching up on all the chat. Anyone remember Tommy Mckenna used to hang out at Joe Morts in the early 60s?
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 05:10   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazfury1 View Post
Hi, sorry been away for a long time due to ill health in family, good to hear what you all have to say, been catching up on all the chat. Anyone remember Tommy Mckenna used to hang out at Joe Morts in the early 60s?
i remember a colin mckenna orked at the brick yard in the 60s
any relation ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 06:02   #113

Colin McKenna rings a bell with me, was he a bit of a hard man?. a few of them up the Arcs like that, I used to keep out of there way.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 10:36   #114
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

knew a Bill McKenna way back, was he a relative?
Old 22-01-2008, 19:19   #115
Senior Member+

last time i spoke to colin he was in accy rockers

Old 13-03-2008, 09:34   #116

Cool Re: Accy Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
Uncle Dick, who had a stall at the fornt of Accy market.
Always a huge crowd round his stall.
What about his wife Sadie always a smart lady.
Littlepom
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 09:39   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet View Post
Anyone remember Redmans across from the market hall, used to love the smell in there, coffee i think it was.
I remember the lovely smokey bacon smell. We used to buy a little hovis loaf from there on our way back to school after swimming.
Do you remember the swimming baths and the pit at the top.
Littlepom
Old 13-03-2008, 09:50   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybow View Post
Yes, I remember trying to get there before 7pm. You'd get a "stamp" on the back of you're hand, if you wanted to go out again.
If my memory serves me correctly, when I first went there (1959?) there was no men's toilets, they had to go across the road to public ones. I was there the night they announced that Big Bopper etc had died in a plane crash.
Hi I was at Morts from 56 on. My dad used to say stay away. Of course it made me go all the more. The sweat box it was called. The teddy boys with brothel creepers and long jackets. But some great jivers went there.
Have many great memories but I wouldn't share them with my grandchildren I don't think they would believe me anyway.

Littlepom (Australia)
Old 13-03-2008, 10:31   #119
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
Hi I was at Morts from 56 on. My dad used to say stay away. Of course it made me go all the more. The sweat box it was called. The teddy boys with brothel creepers and long jackets. But some great jivers went there.
Have many great memories but I wouldn't share them with my grandchildren I don't think they would believe me anyway.

Littlepom (Australia)
ya should share em littlepom,great days,great times,was up 6yr after you,n still amazes me to this day- teds used to come from Blackpool,Preston,Manchester,etc, to a dance hall in "Little Accy" dont think thats occured regular at any other time in history? to me one of the things Accy should be proud of.
Old 13-03-2008, 11:25   #120
Senior Member+

if my memory serves me well cashy
joe morts was recognised as the largest youth club
in the uk ( at the time ) great days
unless someone knows different

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..