Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2008, 12:13   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accy Characters

quite correct beechy, it was a youth club, but doubt many patrons viewed it as such.
Old 13-03-2008, 12:40   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
quite correct beechy, it was a youth club, but doubt many patrons viewed it as such.
Oh I don't know cashy it was very recreational, bit of lively dance, the odd bit of boxing, and the occassional wrestling bout, what more could you ask for at a youth club
Old 13-03-2008, 12:48   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I used to see Retta Garrity on my way home from school when I was at Paddock House. She always said hello to me, which was embarrassing to say the least, and I daren't ignore her because she had a violent temper if she was crossed, I heard her screaming and swearing at the top of her voice many a time. She was a scary woman.
Just having a trawl through back post, I can remember Retta Garrity, or to give her her full title Henretta Garrity, In the early 70 I worked at Pilckington Brothers at the bottom of Gordon street, thats where she lived, although she didn't live there then, the house was boarded up, but a lot of the lads who worked there told some tales about her and her antics, some of them rather saucey but funny
Old 13-03-2008, 13:10   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Oh I don't know cashy it was very recreational, bit of lively dance, the odd bit of boxing, and the occassional wrestling bout, what more could you ask for at a youth club
and the rather large dog, that used to lie by the table were mary sat at the top of the stairs,were you paid yer enterance fee, summat else i dont remember.
Old 13-03-2008, 13:40   #125
Senior Member+

or the kind gentlemen who helpfully
threw you down the stairs..(if you so desired)

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 13:53   #126
God Member

My mum wouldn't let me go

because you lot were bad lads

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 14:43   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
or the kind gentlemen who helpfully
threw you down the stairs..(if you so desired)
he did n i didn't desire, they were bloody stone steps as well.
Old 13-03-2008, 17:22   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
and the rather large dog, that used to lie by the table were mary sat at the top of the stairs,were you paid yer enterance fee, summat else i dont remember.
Cashy don't let it worry mate, you've only just joined the over sixties club, you have to get used to no remembering things now But I have to say I'd forgot about the dog as well

Last edited by jaysay; 13-03-2008 at 17:23. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 00:42   #129
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

anyone remember a guy must have died in 70s or late 60s was known as "Tommy Two Guns"? i used to see him occasionally in the St Leger on plantation street, he was apparently named cos he was n old gangster in the states, actually worked with "Legs Diamonds" mob, many used to laugh at the guy n think bull, but it was fact, which he once proved to me. no-one seems to know of him, but was in a conversation with our own Bob Dobson, last summer n he certainly knew him, or of him, heard some fascinating storys off the owd guy, n always used to buy him a beer fer telling em, maybe some of our older members knew him or of him?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:53   #130

There was a Sharon McKenna in my class at Holy Family, I think her brother was Colin, but they lived on Whalley Rd , in Clayton, she was a good looker too,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 17:49   #131
Senior Member+

Quote:
anyone remember a guy must have died in 70s or late 60s was known as "Tommy Two Guns"? i used to see him occasionally in the St Leger on plantation street, he was apparently named cos he was n old gangster in the states, actually worked with "Legs Diamonds" mob, many used to laugh at the guy n think bull, but it was fact, which he once proved to me. no-one seems to know of him, but was in a conversation with our own Bob Dobson, last summer n he certainly knew him, or of him, heard some fascinating storys off the owd guy, n always used to buy him a beer fer telling em, maybe some of our older members knew him or of him?
i seem to remember a character called Tommy Two Guns
had a farm set back of the Whinney Hill road at bottom of Bolton Rd
im going back to when we were kids cashy early sixties
you might not have been a lanesider in them days

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 18:38   #132
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i seem to remember a character called Tommy Two Guns
had a farm set back of the Whinney Hill road at bottom of Bolton Rd
im going back to when we were kids cashy early sixties
you might not have been a lanesider in them days
i only knew him from 64 ish onwards beechy.
Old 13-03-2009, 07:07   #133
God Member

anyone seen that bloke who walks around with a hanky on his head?
Old 13-03-2009, 07:58   #134
God Member

It may be part of the Festival of Culture if they are here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mp knotted hankies.jpg (3.1 KB, 29 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 08:39   #135
God Member

lol, i was amazed the first time i saw him with it on, it was raining, i thought that fashion went out in the 70s

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..