Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2008, 21:02   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Favorite Memories of Accrington

I wonder if we ever played tennis at the same time, Margaret R. My friend, Betty, and I spent a lot of time on those courts in 1958/59.

In Accrington my memory place is the Wayside café (opposite Joe Mort's), playing Elvis, Buddy Holly and Lonnie Donegan on the juke-box, drinking frothy coffee and being gently guided by the fatherly hand of the owner, Stan Forber. I was introduced to my husband there, in January 1960 - 3 days before my 17th birthday.
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2008, 21:59   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

have too many good memories of accy (when it WAS a town) but heres a few, settin off early morning with a frozen jubbly or mambo, crisps, mars bar, n trekking over the coppice to gamblers caves, spending day playing japs n commandos, or cowboys n indians, then when knackered, coolin off in the adjacent lodge. returning home starving fer me tea. playing footie fer St Augustines, then graduating to bob bannisters boxing club on argyle street. then later the Australian, Horseshoe, Welcome,Colliers, ST,Leger, to name the regulars, bit disapointed to reach 18 but thats life.
Old 25-06-2008, 05:40   #18
Senior Member+

Bug Hut on Saturday afternoon as a kid, St. Pauls scouts, our first U14 youth football team "Pegasus", going up Stanley in the 50s, Knowlmere St and the Empire up Ossy. I,m prejudice but I think we grew up in the best era between 1950 and 1965.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 09:01   #19
mez
God Member

got to agree ossy kid the 50's & 60's was still the best era not seen one like it since.
Old 25-06-2008, 09:06   #20
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Id love to go back in time and see that era too mez, my mum always goes on how 'great' the 50's and 60's were

especially the time me mum and dad met....see what they were really like
Old 25-06-2008, 09:12   #21
God Member

The 50s and 60s seemed wonderful as a contrast to what went before in the 30s and 40s, which was world war, food rationing, social deprivation, and short life expectancy due to disease.

There was an atmosphere of optimism for the future (which you may now say was ill founded)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 09:59   #22
Junior Member+

I would have loved being around in the 50's and 60's, the dawn of Rock and Roll, then all that Soul.

People had more respect for there fellow man and respect for authority.

Asbo's are a mark of honour amongst today's youth, not shame.
Old 25-06-2008, 10:58   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
spending endless hours in the Grey horse when i was in my teens and just making a nuisance of myself
Not much change there then flashy
Old 25-06-2008, 11:00   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Playing tennis in Rhyddings Park every day in school summer holidays.
I'm sure our paths must have crossed many years ago, used to have to book a court if you wanted a game in those days, the good old days
Old 25-06-2008, 11:08   #25
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

wheres the grey horse?, i cant think for the life of me
Old 25-06-2008, 11:13   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
wheres the grey horse?, i cant think for the life of me
Just further down than Accy Vic on the left as you go towards Clayton
Old 25-06-2008, 11:21   #27
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Thats why i didnt know where it was...too far away for me
Old 25-06-2008, 22:48   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Favorite Memories of Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Bug Hut on Saturday afternoon as a kid, St. Pauls scouts, our first U14 youth football team "Pegasus", going up Stanley in the 50s, Knowlmere St and the Empire up Ossy. I,m prejudice but I think we grew up in the best era between 1950 and 1965.
Knowlmere Street – where the kids learned to dance to the strains of Victor Silvester.
Old 25-06-2008, 22:59   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

post just got me remembering lol, knowlemere st (arts) joe morts, accy con, spring hill, mary mags, cavern, jazz club, bold st, sydney st, all accy dance halls that are no more, probably some i forgot also, have some great memories of all those weekly dances, what have the kids got now?
Old 25-06-2008, 23:39   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
post just got me remembering lol, knowlemere st (arts) joe morts, accy con, spring hill, mary mags, cavern, jazz club, bold st, sydney st, all accy dance halls that are no more, probably some i forgot also, have some great memories of all those weekly dances, what have the kids got now?
I'm thinking it can't have cost more than 2/6 (half crown) / 13 pence to get into most of them places , bit more than the price of a pint .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..