Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2009, 20:22   #121
God Member

Re: Favorite Memories of Accrington

my favourite memory of accy is...Milnshaw Park when i was ickle, my gran and grandad taking a picnic, flask, sandwiches and for some reason we always had fresh tomatos with a special salt celler lol

my grandad always told me that the chicken and the frog bouncy rides in Milnshaw Park where put there by him especially for us lol the strange thing was, i believed it for years

ah those where the days

now i love coming over from Blackburn and going to Milnshaw Park with Reece and my nieces and telling them stories about how the park used to be when i was small
Old 25-01-2009, 20:26   #122
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Milnshaw was a great park back in the day, many a happy hour spent in the large paddling pool.
Old 25-01-2009, 22:01   #123
Resting in Peace

Oak Hill park used to have a large paddling pool..... ( no way they could have one of thoes now a days )
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 22:04   #124
God Member

Rhyddings Park had one too but it was already a derelict muddy puddle in the 1940s

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 08:01   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Milnshaw was a great park back in the day, many a happy hour spent in the large paddling pool.

i remember the cut out of a pool being there, but i never remember it being used as a pool
Old 26-01-2009, 11:41   #126
Resting in Peace

My cousin lived in Park Road when we were little, early teens, and we used to got to Milnshaw Park up Owd Bobs to play Tennis during the summer hols, used to hang out in Gatty Park and Nelsons Square too
Old 26-01-2009, 12:22   #127
Caz
God Member

Paddling pool in use (milnshaw) must have gone by the early sixties, coz we lived up Lancaster avenue when I was 7-10 and don't remember it being there.

Do remember being on my first 3 wheeler and the brakes failing, and going straight from top entrance down that path to the bottom, and coming a cropper. It seemed soo steep back then, lol.

Used to play on Nelson's frequently, when living on Bradshaw St. (not West). Always on my bike on there. Also the triangle with the swings, which was great in winter for making slides in the ice down the paths.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 12:54   #128
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

do ya remember the gypsies on nelson square caz? musta been mid-late 60s, they put me n me mate up, when thrown out of "Red Annies"
Old 26-01-2009, 12:59   #129
Caz
God Member

Yes Cashy, well I remember some in the early sixties, was still at junior school so must have been before 65. Don't remember there being a problem with them though. Some of the kids went to my then school, St Andrews.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 14:35   #130
God Member

where was Nelson Square?
Old 26-01-2009, 15:08   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

roughly between end of emma street n sports centre flashy.
Old 26-01-2009, 15:11   #132
God Member

ah ok, cheers cashy
Old 26-01-2009, 16:03   #133
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I went out with the son of the landlord of The Junction.......I was only thirteen at the time......and 'going out' meant just walking to school holding hands.
I think the relationship(if you could call it that) lasted for all of 6 weeks.
Would that be Rod Pitman by any chance? or even his Brother Dave? I know their Mum and Dad ran the Junction for a while whilst i was at school!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 16:31   #134
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
do ya remember the gypsies on nelson square caz? musta been mid-late 60s, they put me n me mate up, when thrown out of "Red Annies"
Red Annie's cashy who the hell was that sounds interesting was she Apache or Sioux
Old 26-01-2009, 16:32   #135
God Member

lol maybe she was called Annie and she had red hair Jay??

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..