Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 18:54   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Favorite Memories of Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have spent a lot of time recently thinking about favourite memories. I have been interviewed by email by Radio Lancashire who have just put some of my thoughts ontowww)

b bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/articles/2008/12/11
_places_accrington_bob_dobson_feature_shtml
yer link aint working Bob.
Old 13-12-2008, 23:35   #92
Junior Member+

I remember the cafe across from Joe Morts. I met my husband in there in 1956 and when I was just a child! My favorite place in Accrington was the coppice, followed by Oak Hill Park and walks round Broadoak. I lived in the Fire Station houses in Manchester Road
joan walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 10:37   #93
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan walsh View Post
I remember the cafe across from Joe Morts. I met my husband in there in 1956 and when I was just a child! My favorite place in Accrington was the coppice, followed by Oak Hill Park and walks round Broadoak. I lived in the Fire Station houses in Manchester Road
was it "Ciros" then joan? think long ago it was "Wayside" or summat. ciro was n italian guy who ran it n his daughter used to work behind the counter also, nice people.
Old 14-12-2008, 15:06   #94
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was it "Ciros" then joan? think long ago it was "Wayside" or summat. ciro was n italian guy who ran it n his daughter used to work behind the counter also, nice people.
It was The Wayside, owned and run by Stan and Marjorie Forber. I first met my husband there (well, was introduced to him, briefly) in 1960.
Old 14-12-2008, 17:28   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
It was The Wayside, owned and run by Stan and Marjorie Forber. I first met my husband there (well, was introduced to him, briefly) in 1960.
when did it become ciros then? must have been only a couple of years after 1960, was ciro's when "Drew" was killed under the railway arch, n think that was july 64/65.
Old 14-12-2008, 18:08   #96
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
when did it become ciros then? must have been only a couple of years after 1960, was ciro's when "Drew" was killed under the railway arch, n think that was july 64/65.

I don't know, Cashy. I think it was still Stan's place up until I got married (1962) but I had stopped going to coffee bars by then.

Who was Drew and who/what killed him?
Old 14-12-2008, 18:54   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I don't know, Cashy. I think it was still Stan's place up until I got married (1962) but I had stopped going to coffee bars by then.

Who was Drew and who/what killed him?
have pmd ya.cashy.
Old 16-12-2008, 06:58   #98

Let me on the story to Mr C, suspence is killing me.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 07:15   #99
God Member

Alan , its probably another story about a local murder like Mrs Barker (Gt Harwood late 60s/early 70s ) which locals know who dun-it , but the police have no evidence
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 07:53   #100

Thats another I cant remember.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 08:43   #101
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Alan , its probably another story about a local murder like Mrs Barker (Gt Harwood late 60s/early 70s ) which locals know who dun-it , but the police have no evidence
if that was the lady in the shop, a old friend of mine found her body one sat morning, he was a coalman at the time n had just popped in fer summat, funnily enough about a month later me best mate was arrested fer it. its like owt, if plod arrested you or i and said -where were you on sat morning a month ago, ya aint a clue apparently some git had rang police n gave his name, n as he had a bit of form fer violence, they were convinced it was him. after about 10 hrs n 4/5 suggestions were he might have been, he was let out cos they had established were he was at that time, thanks to the ex landlord of the black bull, who only remembered cos they were partners at dominos that day, n unbeaten. otherwise the landlord said he would never have remembered.
Old 16-12-2008, 12:16   #102
Senior Member+

yer man was lucky cashy, back in the days plod
would fit anyone to any crime to keep the books clean
i remember the case though up a side street
past the cross and opposite the tavern,strange at the time

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 22:12   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
yer man was lucky cashy, back in the days plod
would fit anyone to any crime to keep the books clean
i remember the case though up a side street
past the cross and opposite the tavern,strange at the time
don't i know it beechy.
Old 18-01-2009, 19:43   #104
Jak
Junior Member+

The Pop man! That takes me back.....Playing in Bullough Park and the Punch and Judy shows they had in Summer............Walking up the hill with a sledge in winter and coming all the way down the path at a great rate of knotts.....The Rag and Bone man... and the donkey steps which our parents banned us from playing on .............But we went anyway........... Daring each other to play knock a door run at the Police Hostel...............Happy Days
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 12:51   #105
I am Banned

The sound of ice cream vans,smell of the womble inn,the hourly peal of st.auls bells whilst camping out,losing my virginity up bullough park,snowy winters aww i feel owd
groove is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..