Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 09:08   #31

Post Re: i remember when.....

remember the tin bath sunday nights ,i was lucky being the youngest first one in nice fire"
tommey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2003, 09:12   #32
Senior Member+

remember the revolving doors at accy library,we used to run around to see how fast we could spin them before being asked to leave.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:18   #33
Caz
God Member

The mangle in the back yard!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:28   #34

conkers , marbles best 99
tommey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:44   #35

It was safe to leave you door unlocked and let your kids out on their own knowing they would be safe
Old 08-08-2003, 10:10   #36

I remember Birtwells Ice cream sold from a n ice cream van pulled by a horse. The old guy used to shout..."ICE CREAM HERE!"...He always asked "Do you want blood?!" (raspberry sauce!) Best ice cream in the world too!!  [smiley=eat_arrow.gif]
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:17   #37
Senior Member+

I'm with you droo best ice cream going lovely yellow colour as i remember.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:20   #38
Junior Member+

[quote author=Ruud link=board=nostalgia;num=1059916385;start=0#34 date=08/08/03 at 09:44:26]It was safe to leave you door unlocked and let your kids out on their own knowing they would be safe[/quote]

Well we've always got the wardens now haven't we
;D ;D
flopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:24   #39
I am Banned

Jackson the farmer delivering milk with his horse & cart
Royboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:55   #40

Birtwells - went to Accy Grammar with his son, Ian. An Italian company wanted to buy the recipe off them, but they wouldn't sell it.

Jacksons - His son, Malcolm still delivers milk (although not with a horse and cart!)
ASFC1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 15:04   #41

[quote author=flopsy link=board=nostalgia;num=1059916385;start=0#37 date=08/08/03 at 11:20:24]

Well we've always got the wardens now haven't we
;D ;D
[/quote]

Nice one flopsy, very subtle, gonna give you an applaud for that!!  ;D
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 19:10   #42

Jacksons....    First horse was called "Mr Ed"  (I think)
Old 08-08-2003, 19:13   #43

Sweets...       Sherbet Dabs,  Liquorice Root,  Mambos...

Aaaahhhhh.....   Can still taste them... [smiley=eat.gif]
Old 09-08-2003, 06:03   #44

Even though it was almost 67 years ago I well remember that Wednesday afternoon in January 1937.
The location was the classroom of the "top-class" lads situated in the recently opened extension behind the old building of Spring Hill Council School.
That afternoon we were a restless bunch of 13 yr olds, soon to thrust into the vulgar world of Industry with its ABC culture. There we were, sitting in orderly rows facing the blackboard and the formidable Mr Garnett, he with the most deadly cane in the school. Most of us were wearing darned Jerseys, patched pants ( short ones of course in those days ) and with few exceptions wearing clogs. Concentration was difficult, our minds were focussed on more important things than mere schoolwork, but Mr Garnett made no allowance for what he was unquestionably aware of and that fearsome length of Bamboo worked overtime. The schoolboy belief that a hair laid on ones palm along with a dollop of spit would cause the cane to break was shown to be simply wishful thinking. As usual on these occasions the clock slowed down, but 4 o`clock finally came and off we stampeded up Fife St and down Richmond St ( not road then) with our clogs clattering on the pavement in the forlorn hope that we would get there before it was over.
I`ll leave it there and see if anyone can say what it was about.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:37   #45
Caz
God Member

Was it the Coronation celebrations Owd_Bert?

Or the King's visit to Accrington?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..