Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2003, 14:21   #76
Resting in Peace

Post Re: i remember when.....

Anyway you have to suck them now havent you cant chew he he
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2003, 14:37   #77
I am Banned

They still do pear drops as well as rhubarb and custard toffees
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2003, 14:44   #78
Caz
God Member

Can't beat the good old sarsaparilla tablets, and they're still well and truly with us.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2003, 14:46   #79
Accy Goddess

Aniseed balls. Yuk!........ :
Dont forget the fruit gums mum. I just love those fruit gums mum.
But that was in the days when i could chew.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2003, 14:46   #80
Resting in Peace

What about victory V s still get them and still good
Old 15-08-2003, 14:48   #81
Accy Goddess

like some of the sweets they have today better. You see i`m still young at heart.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2003, 18:56   #82

any body remember going up the arts and the con club dancing the nite away in the early 60s 1/2 crown to get in and the long walk back to haslingden glad when i moved to accrington no more long walks home
CRUSADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2003, 01:14   #83
Junior Member+

You all know the 'pay as you go' toilet that was on peel street before the re-development, well I'm sure that it didn't work properly.  The first and only time I used it I was in mid action and the door flew open, much to the delight of several elderly shoppers.
Chris7464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2003, 01:39   #84
Junior Member+

Does anyone remember the old railway that ran behind Accrington Cricket Club's main stand?  I was walking home from my sisters recently in a drunken stupor and tripped over one of the old railway sleepers
Chris7464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2003, 10:13   #85
Senior Member+

what about liquorice sticks all that yellow drool running down your chin.
Old 17-08-2003, 11:25   #86

[quote author=janet link=board=nostalgia;num=1059916385;start=80#84 date=08/17/03 at 11:13:35]what about liquorice sticks all that yellow drool running down your chin.[/quote]

Do you mean the root liquorice sticks  that we dipped into the Kali?
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2003, 15:07   #87
Caz
God Member

[quote author=Chris7464 link=board=nostalgia;num=1059916385;start=80#82 date=08/17/03 at 02:14:16]You all know the 'pay as you go' toilet that was on peel street before the re-development, well I'm sure that it didn't work properly. The first and only time I used it I was in mid action and the door flew open, much to the delight of several elderly shoppers.[/quote]

Love to have seen that (or maybe not!) ;D

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 15:13   #88
Caz
God Member

[quote author=Chris7464 link=board=nostalgia;num=1059916385;start=80#83 date=08/17/03 at 02:39:20]Does anyone remember the old railway that ran behind Accrington Cricket Club's main stand? I was walking home from my sisters recently in a drunken stupor and tripped over one of the old railway sleepers [/quote]

Shall we start a new column Chris "Daft things you do when you're drunk"?[smiley=lol.gif]

Fallen asleep in one or two places. More than once in the old Accy toilets before they used to lock them. [smiley=sleep.gif]

Was a long long time ago I hasten to add! I like to pretend I'm respectable now! ;D ;D

- Oscar Wilde
Old 17-08-2003, 15:29   #89
Resting in Peace

My wife did this when we were courting we had been in this pub in preston(harryx)
the palatine in avenham just as we were due to go the wife dicided to go to the loo
and she fell asleep i had to send the bar staff in to get her.
this is over 30 years ago i dont think she will do it again .
maybe ???
Old 17-08-2003, 15:38   #90
Caz
God Member

[quote author=mick link=board=nostalgia;num=1059916385;start=80#88 date=08/17/03 at 16:29:22]My wife did this when we were courting we had been in this pub in preston(harryx)
the palatine in avenham just as we were due to go the wife dicided to go to the loo
and she fell asleep i had to send the bar staff in to get her.
this is over 30 years ago i dont think she will do it again .
maybe ???[/quote]

You never know do you! [smiley=alc.gif] [smiley=lol.gif]

I was on about the ones on Peel Street, thy didn't lock them then. Used to wake up to daylight and sneak out hoping nobody realised. Bit obvious though when you're still wearing skimpy lurex hotpants and thigh high boots! ;D ;D ;D

- Oscar Wilde

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..