Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2004, 17:50   #1
mac
I am Banned

Unhappy where was you when you found out dianna had died.

i was serving in germany. was busy that day. getting the kids ready. terrible two's with the oldest at the time. i went round to our friends and they were both just sat there crying and in shock. i found out then. there was alot of mutual comfort that day. very sad.

the funeral procession will always stick in my mind aswell. all those flowers. and the country coming to a standstill.

unbelievable
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2004, 20:48   #2

Re: where was you when you found out dianna had died.

I remember the smartness of the men of the raf regiment who carried diana to the waiting he**** on her arrival back in england and the massive figure of flight sergeant bennet carrying the cushion of flowers at the rear later that year my wife and I met him at raf uxbridge on a visit to the Queens colour squadron he had just been awarded a gong and you could not meet a nicer man but I dont suppose the lads on the squadron will think that especially now as they are training up for the Edinburgh tattoo
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 08:06   #3
God Member

I was in Hyde Park for the funeral procession; there were 2 lads - late teens & lets say of Mediterranean Complexion - sitting up a tree. They appeared to find the occaision a scource of amusement. Crowd protection was provided by the cops, and where I was, by stewards from Wembley Stadium; 2 of the latter - one a girl - went over to the tree and pulled the 2 lads down and gave them a right good kicking, after which they lost the smile on their face.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 15:02   #4
Senior Member+

I learnt about it on the sunday morning,I got the papers and must have got a first edition 'cos it said she was critical and Dodi was dead.I rushed home to put teletext on and there it was.The day of the funeral we flew to Spain on hols and everyone on the plane was wearing black ribbons.The neighbours in Spain were German and the father marched them all out onto the patio and said in broken English "we are sorry for your Princess".A strange day.
Old 26-03-2004, 16:03   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I had just landed in Izmir (Turkey) for the start of a holiday. We were told as we got off the plane. The Turks had set up shrines all over the country, and everybody lit candles. We were all given ribbons to wear. On the day of the funeral I was on a gullet cruise and we were totally silent for about 30 minutes. When we returned to the hotel, the family who owned it took us into the tv room to watch the remainder of the processions and things, it was really sad. It was so strange, as the Turkish people kept coming up to the English in the resorts and offering condolences.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 18:17   #6
Senior Member+

Isn't that strange Lettie;the German family next to us had shown little interest in us the previous years and were massively sympathetic.My colleagues back at Our Price had to deal with the fastest selling single ever,Elton John's tribute,and were closed for half a day for the funeral.
Old 26-03-2004, 18:19   #7
mac
I am Banned

it was amazing how much she was loved all over the world. she was loved in america. and to be honest i thought it was limiterd to us and the yanks. wasnt aware it was all over the world
Old 27-03-2004, 08:13   #8
mez
God Member

id been out the night before & got up late sat morn, my mate rang me bout 10-30am said put telly on & that was when &how ilearnt about it, i was stunned for the rest of the day.but the funeral oooo it still puts shivers up my spine & a tear in my eyes//
Old 28-03-2004, 15:26   #9
mac
I am Banned

we were all on parade for her medals on "the works". it was a very sad time.
Old 28-03-2004, 19:33   #10

I'd just got up and turned the radio on, and heard it on there. Put the TV on and also seen it on there, still had to ring my husband up at work (works on newspapers) to find out if it was true. That July spent some time in Califonia/Mexico, were when people heard the english accent they just came up to us to express sympathies. My children who were 7 & 10 at the time was amazed that total strangers were coming up talking to us. Must admit so was I.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2004, 15:22   #11
Senior Member+

I was out in the park walking the dog, when a chap i know asked me what i thought about Diana having been killed in a car crash, i can tell you that i was gutted i could'nt believe it. I was very emotional at the time because my mum had died a few weeks before her.
Old 29-03-2004, 19:09   #12

I was laid in bed, the alarm had just gone off for work (good old radio alarm clock) then i heard the news, i have to say it took a few times before it sank in.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 13:59   #13
Senior Member+

sunday morning, woke up still in bed, still a kid, wanted to watch dome cartoons but nope just the news. i musta watched it for an hour, then went and told mi parents, who didnt belive me and sed it was a terrible thing to joke about.
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 14:28   #14
God Member

You've got a wicked sense of humour, Accy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:54   #15
Senior Member+

no sorry i know its terrible but thats how u think as a kid.
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..