Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 10:33   #61
God Member

Re: where was you when you found out dianna had died.

Thinking about this matter further and with the added hindsight of six months since my last post on the subject, I find that my attitude has, if anything, hardened.

Following recent revelations of what can only be described as serial adultery, "I wanted to run away with my bodyguard", and all the rest of the sordid performance. I have to say we are well shot of her.

As to her legacy, what is there to say...people still die of AIDS, Kids are still blown apart by landmines - plus ca change, plus la meme chose.

On the other hand, thousands of our children still take part in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme and are better people for it. Thousands of young adults from deprived backgrounds are still assisted to improve their lives by the Prince's Trust.

Prince Phillip is, as far as I am concerned, a National Treasure. Taking all the moral flak for saying in public what we all think in private.

The Queen is...well, The Queen. The only person in this country (or the world for that matter) who may command my loyalty and respect by right.

Prince Charles is much maligned, occupies a difficult position, and displays a level of caring that goes far beyond the facile, touchy-feely, eye for the camera, type displayed by his late wife. When the time comes, I will be proud to acknowlege him as King. His personal relationships are, properly, a matter for him and his conscience and should be no one elses business but his.

As far as The Prince of Wales' children are concerned, they are still too young to merit comment.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 07-12-2004 at 10:36.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2004, 11:23   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Thinking about this matter further and with the added hindsight of six months since my last post on the subject, I find that my attitude has, if anything, hardened.

Following recent revelations of what can only be described as serial adultery, "I wanted to run away with my bodyguard", and all the rest of the sordid performance. I have to say we are well shot of her.

As to her legacy, what is there to say...people still die of AIDS, Kids are still blown apart by landmines - plus ca change, plus la meme chose.

On the other hand, thousands of our children still take part in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme and are better people for it. Thousands of young adults from deprived backgrounds are still assisted to improve their lives by the Prince's Trust.

Prince Phillip is, as far as I am concerned, a National Treasure. Taking all the moral flak for saying in public what we all think in private.

The Queen is...well, The Queen. The only person in this country (or the world for that matter) who may command my loyalty and respect by right.

Prince Charles is much maligned, occupies a difficult position, and displays a level of caring that goes far beyond the facile, touchy-feely, eye for the camera, type displayed by his late wife. When the time comes, I will be proud to acknowlege him as King. His personal relationships are, properly, a matter for him and his conscience and should be no one elses business but his.

As far as The Prince of Wales' children are concerned, they are still too young to merit comment.
A bit harsh A-Bob.....

even assuming the press stories are anywhere near the truth.

Personally, I do not believe the press............especially when it comes to dirt!! And against those who are no longer with us and cannot answer back!

My mate (lives near Victoria Hospital and served with Charlie in the Navy) says that: "he (Charlie) is so divorced from reality, that he has difficulty in identifying his left and right shoes - especially when he's not wearing them".

But that's one mans opinion!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:52   #63
God Member

I too have difficulty with the concept of Left and Right, but that doesn't make me any more or less human. And I would imagine that being brought up in a similar manner to the Prince of Wales would significantly affect my world view, as would being brought up as a Communist or a Catholic or an Australian Aborigine.
Old 07-12-2004, 13:15   #64
Senior Member+

I must disagree on this matter Bob.I still believe that she was done away with.In this day and age i disagree totally with the idea of monarchy and feel it should be abolished.If howvever Charles will be king then surely his behaviour must be one of impeccability? Setting an example for us all? I feel it has not and after Diannas death? Well i feel the ' family' totally mishandled the whole situation.
Old 07-12-2004, 13:19   #65
Senior Member+

And it wasn't just her, by all accounts.

Seems like the chap she fell 'deeply in love with' (her words) was popped off as well...
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 13:47   #66

Sorry A-bob, I didn't make my point clear enough. IT was "do you believe all this stuff in the press and media"? You can make smoke without a fire!!
Old 07-12-2004, 14:06   #67
God Member

I'm not entirely convinced by all this conspiracy theory malarky. It would be interesting if it were true and I concede that there are many reasons why it might be desireable. But if it were true and it got out, can you imagine the reaction. No, absolute secrecy cannot be guaranteed in this day and age when every cook and bottle washer with an axe to grind is prepared to tell all to the papers. Besides, the principals in the drama, if it ever came out, stand to loose too much.

>>If howvever Charles will be king then surely his behaviour must be one of impeccability? Setting an example for us all? I feel it has not and after Diannas death? Well i feel the ' family' totally mishandled the whole situation.>>

I agree that we should expect the highest standards of behaviour from members of the Royal Family. But in an age when propriety is an old fashioned concept, and The Queen's exercise of it gives rise to howls of criticism, how are they to divine the public mood? And what is it exactly that Prince Charles has done that is so wrong? He entered into an arranged marriage for the sake of the dynasty. Royal personages have been doing that for thousands of years. He followed his heart and maintained a mistress - nothing unusual in that either. Hundreds of thousands of men in this country do exactly the same thing.

That pillar of Royal and Imperial rectitude, Queen Victoria, maintained deeply personal relationships with, at least, two of her servants following Prince Albert's death. Relationships which caused the gravest concern in court and government circles at the time. But no one suggested, or even thought, that because of them she was unfit to rule.

Is the problem with Prince Charles and his relationship with Mrs Parker-Bowles not more to do with the fact that he had the temerity to ruin the fantasy of the perfect fairy tale royal marriage, and having done that, declined to appear in public in sackcloth and ashes?
Old 07-12-2004, 14:25   #68

It's not the particularities of Charlie that I find so crass. It's the way the media purport to have a (dirty) story, and how it creeps out of the woodwork at certain times. And how Diana now turns out to be (if you believe the press) a virtual nymphomanic with manic tendencies.

According to the media, she had been through half the staff of Buck Pall, the Police Force and the Royal Navy, and that Harry's father is questionable. How do you think this nonsense affects the 2 Princes?

Public eye?? Media mania more like...I never give this dross a first look, never mind a second one

Anyway, whatever I think about Charlie or the Queen will have absolutely no effect on what happens to the crown and to our monarchy, nor should it!
Old 07-12-2004, 16:20   #69
God Member

The sad truth of the matter is that all too many of us pay more attention to gossip and scandalmongers rather than think for ourselves. It was the media which created "the Queen of Hearts" and it is the very same media which hounded her to her death and now is actively engaged in destroying what is left of her reputation. There is a lesson to be learned here from the Queen's attitude to the media; "When you sup with the devil, use a long spoon"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..