Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 17:23   #46
Resting in peace

Re: where was you when you found out dianna had died.

Well, he's no oil painting, is he. Quite agree about RF, they should all work for a living, just to find out what it's like. Got a soft spot for Queenie, so they could retire her to her little house in Bowland Forest, she's old enough to retire, surely. Just don't give any of them a job where brains count for much.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2004, 17:26   #47
Senior Member+

His name was Adolf, T. and as history says he was Austrian.By the way i am English just do not agree with the Royal Family.The only one i liked was Dianna al the rest can ************* as far as i am concerned
Old 10-08-2004, 17:34   #48

I agree with A-Bob and Tealeaf. It is not right to speak ill of the dead I know, but far from being the saint she was portrayed as, she was obviously a woman of easy virtue. That's about as kind as I can put it. I have always been a Royalist and I think that the monarchy is a great tourist attraction. If you want Accrington to become a centre of tourism, I would suggest you persuade H.M. to come and build a country house somewhere in the borough. You'll get more tourists than you want. There aren't all that many Kingdoms left in the world, and it is a goodly part of what makes England unique. Tourists certainly don't visit for the sunshine. As for the remark about Charles' lady friend; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When you love someone, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks she looks like. However, I do think it was unfair of him to marry Di when he was so obviously enamoured with someone else.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 17:36   #49
God Member

So the germans get rid of their royal family and import an Austrian to be president? Was it a success? Are you saying we should do the same?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 17:36   #50
Resting in peace

Why not? When we ran out of English kings and queens, we imported German ones. Where's the difference?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 17:37   #51
God Member

Di was a slapper. End of story.
Old 10-08-2004, 18:00   #52
Senior Member+

And Prince Phillip is a bloody saint or what
Old 11-08-2004, 16:43   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson
And Prince Phillip is a bloody saint or what
A great man. One of my heroes.
Old 11-08-2004, 17:25   #54
Senior Member+

Come on T he spreads it about more than Flora
Old 11-08-2004, 17:56   #55

I was snoring my bloody head off.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 18:01   #56

In WWII (especially the Blitz) the Royal Family (especially the Queen Mother) were excellent in keeping morale high - the country is a different place now and their importance to the public has wilted.

The only decent thing about the monarchy is the tourist trade though isnt it? I really cant think of any other practical function they fulfill. Ambassadors for the country? When you've got Prince 'Dont stay too long you'll get slitty eyes' Phillip representing the country then we might as well send Bernard Manning. Prince Charles wants to be a tampon (remember that one?!) and Prince Edward minces around like a Windsor Frank Spencer. The only decent ones are Princes Harry and William - and thats due to the common touch that their late mother instilled into them.

I say keep the Royal Family (purely for tourism) but get rid of the parasites.

To say that Diana was a lady of easy virtue is a bit harsh - in the seven years of separation I can only think of three relationships - Carling, that arsehole Hewitt and al-Fayed. I'd hardly call that promiscuous, and dont forget that maintaining any long term relationship when you are the most photographed person in the world cant be the easiest thing in the world.

The outpouring of grief at the time of her death was, in hindsight, quite embarassing - I too went to the funeral, sleeping overnight outside Westminster Abbey (I lived in Guildford at the time) and the sight of people huddled together holding candles listening to a ghetto-blaster churning out 'Candle in the Wind' on repeat was absolutely pathetically sick-making. It was an experience I wouldn't have missed however, there wont ever be anything like that in our lifetime or that of our children, and I got interviewed by ABC American radio too but the interviewer couldnt understand a word that came out of my East Lancs mouth!
Old 11-08-2004, 19:19   #57
Senior Member+

She was in my eyes the only Royal that was close to the people and seemed to listen.If that was not the case tehn why the uproar when they refused to fly the flag at half mast.It was the pressur from the people that brought the Royal family to teir senses.
Old 15-08-2004, 13:45   #58

I was working on the National Newspapers,various stories were plated,
Di in crash,unhurt.
Di in crash serious injury.
And finally the sad news that she had died.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 21:18   #59
God Member

I was in bed, been out the night before and didn't switch the tv on till lunchtime, watched the coverage for about 20 minutes before realising she'd died, felt sorry for the boys, they'd lost their Mum at the end of the day.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:47   #60
Senior Member+

We were on holiday in Turkey, and found out at around 8am local time (6am UK time) that she had died.

We didn't have access to tv in our room, so we heard from the other residents. Initially we thought they were joking, but you should have seen the restaurants and tavernas. Every single one with a TV was packed out - the only place we could get something to eat was one without a TV as they were deserted.

Obviously you feel bad for the family, but I feel that the coverage was well over the top - there are plenty of other people who do very good work for various charities who die before their time, and if they're lucky, they might get a few lines in the local rag.
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..