Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 09:11   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Ice lollies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler View Post
I know its a far cry from ice lollies but I really miss the small corner shop type bakeries that use to exist two or three to each street. I remember the one near White's Garage on Burnley Road (although the shop was one street back from Burnley Road on the same street as Stan George's newsagents. There was nothing much in the shop except home made pies, bread and cakes. I used to love the meat pies. Were there ever such meat pies? Superb crust and such tasty liquid jelly when you bit into it, rolling juices down your chin, and the meat, oh, no nonsense wholesome tasty meat. Oh to have those days again!
There was one on the Corner of Manor Street where I used to get the sarnies from when I was a happyrentice with Townley's Joiners
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2013, 09:40   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Jubblys n mambos were my favourites, always lasted from the shop on Burnley Rd to Gamblers Caves.
You were a bit faster in them days Mr C
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When I was at St Mary's Ossy in the 50s there was a little corner sweetshop across from the Pickups arms on Moscow Mill Street where we got frozen Mambos and Jubblies
My favourite shop ever J, not for their lollies but for their draft sasparilla
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
My favourite shop ever J, not for their lollies but for their draft sasparilla
Ya forgot about that E&C, another place you could get draft sarsaparilla and Dandelion and Burdock was Mrs Riley's Herbalists on Union Road Ossy opposite St Paul's School
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 10:02   #20
Full Member+

When I was little we used to call that shop Trickets, later on it became known as Toffees.
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 10:04   #21
Full Member+

Sorry, I'm on about the shop near the Black Dog.
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..