Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 22:59   #61
Junior Member+

Re: lost dialect

Ooooo please see my post in questions and answers about dialect speakers...you could be just the people im looking for!! (didnt want to repost it here in case I got done!)

In response to the topic though, I didnt realise half the stuff I was saying was just Lancashire until I went to university...one girl looked at me dead funny when I told her to stop mithering!

....its shocking the amount of people in sunderland now that go round saying 'eigh up' and talking about 'dooerstop butties' and 'corporation pop' ...id like to think it was my doing

Katie x
Katester is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2006, 12:23   #62
Resting in peace

Anybody remember -

"See all, say nowt -
Eat all, pay nowt -
And if tha does owt for nowt, do it for thysen".

and

"What thine's mine, and what's mines me own".
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 16:42   #63
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Her reason for sticking with it was that if the gas leaked, you could smell it, but if the electricity leaked, it could be all over the house before you knew about it .......
Sounds like a valid point point to me.
Old 26-02-2006, 04:05   #64

Here are a few that you might find obscure. Firstly the word 'Gozzle' this was phlegm or whatever coughed up from the lungs. My grandmother used to tell us kids a story about gozzle. She would tell us about all the old men who had chest complaints lying in hospital with a flat sloping tray next to their beds covered in a nice layer of icing sugar. The old men would gozzle onto it and the gozzle would roll down the tray picking up the icing sugar. Then hit us with her punchline,"That's how they make jelly babies" And of course all to make us go 'oh Yuk' Our reactions used to tickle her to bits. There were people in Accy who used to gozzle onto the footpath or road without a thought in those days.
Another word was "wezzle'. she used to threaten us kids that she would get some from the butcher for tea. After a bit of a tease she would then tell us it was a bulls willy. Grandmother used to look after us whilst mum was out at work and I learned alot of old lanky from her. Another word she used was 'pizzle(yes I know all these words have a double zz sound but once one remembers one I start to recall more Pizzle referred to rain. A bit more than drizzle but not as much as rain. Another one was scraggy which comes from scrags or scrag ends(butcher)which meant useless bits and pieces left over. In this case scraggy meant scruffy. There are a lot of examples of old Accy dialect on this thread and there also other threads with many many more. All it needs is for someone who has the time to collate them all and it would be a list any student of dialect would be proud of. There were also many a dialect word that was not strictly all over Accy.(circa 1945-50) There was neighbourhood dialect and different meanings as well for the same word depending on whereabouts in Accy you lived For example there would be one or two words used in the Derby st area that wouldn't be known in the Willows Lane area. Hard to believe but true.

Last edited by Terry; 26-02-2006 at 04:06. Reason: silly spelling
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 00:57   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just used an old one tonight without thinking, don,t really know if its still in use but i aint said it for yonks, paris was tired about 9-30 an i said( up the dancers)then we both fell about laughing cos it was what our mams said when we were small.
Old 24-04-2006, 08:23   #66
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod

incidentally I am 28 and was in the new Accrington & Rossendale College construction building a few days ago and I remarked that I remember when this was all fields. I instantly felt octogenarian

I did that a few weeks ago and suddenly heard myself sounding like my Grannie!

Whenever anyone told her any gossip or scandal she would reply. "ooooh aaah say!"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 10:43   #67
white rabbits

I fell about laughing the other day,, when i told someone to "Smile and give their face a joyride"... My mum said that when we were sulking as kids...
Old 24-04-2006, 12:48   #68

My dad always used to say what ar ti fettling at nah,meaning I think what you doing
xaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 12:51   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
just used an old one tonight without thinking, don,t really know if its still in use but i aint said it for yonks, paris was tired about 9-30 an i said( up the dancers)then we both fell about laughing cos it was what our mams said when we were small.

Sometimes at bedtime we were told to go up the 'dolly dancers'.

What's that all about???

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 22:48   #70

Dad always used to say.......where there,s muck there,s brass...his once yearly bath in Surf sure proved that.. ...all other times was......going for a swill.....when I was a kid he used to tuck me into bed and say.....neckle bless........???????........huh......??? still don,t know what that means....

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 19:38   #71
Passed away 25-11-09

Sounds rather like "Night, God bless" to me. Perhaps his own version of it.
Old 29-04-2006, 20:44   #72
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid
MARGARET, who was your uncle who worked at the gas board? I worked there fo 14 years, 1960-74.
Sorry for the long delay in answering......I haven't looked at this thread for ages......My Uncle was a chap called George Rushton......I am not too sure what he did...but he did work for the gas board.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 18:29   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

another one surfaced today lol paris said she was getting vexed with me, aint heard that since i was young lol
Old 20-11-2006, 20:03   #74
I am Band

When I was young, my kid sister and I would be packed off to bed with the phrase, "Off you go. Up them dancers"...

My understanding of the derivation of this phrase is that it is a referrence to the 1930's Ginger Rodgers & Fred Astaire films, where there was always a strategically placed flight of stairs at the back of the film set, for them to dance a routine on.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 22:15   #75
Resident Waffler

Busman was taken by surprise the other day when someone asked him to give them 'a lift'. He thought they wanted to go somewhere in the car when actually they were asking for assisance with what they were doing. He'd never heard that before.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..