Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 13:50   #46
Resting in peace

Re: lost dialect

My Great Aunt Agnes had gaslight for years - it made electric light look very harsh by comparison.

Her reason for sticking with it was that if the gas leaked, you could smell it, but if the electricity leaked, it could be all over the house before you knew about it .......
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2005, 14:03   #47
Beacon of light

Oh, Pendy.....my gran was like that, she had spare plugs in all the sockets so that the electricity couldn't escape......no amount of explanations from my dad would reassure her that it didn't do that. It makes me smile to think about it now.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 22:13   #48
Accy Goddess

This is what my Dad would have said Staggers.
Wot dust tha mean.
Tha dunt ev ta speyk lik that.
Speyk propper.
When thas speykin t me.
Tha dunt ev ta gu or theer yon. T ged at it.
Just sit thi bottom on that cheer or theer.
If thas drippin wet get them clooas off an purem int back kitchen.
Get thi sel dried befoore tha catches tha death.
When we were sent to bed,we had to go up the airy mountens.
Some times they would be Dancers.
We had a guzzunder when me and my sister stopped at mi nans.
Why a guzzunder?
Because it gus under the bed of course.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 22:38   #49
white rabbits

exactly....i understood your dad,,
Old 19-10-2005, 12:03   #50
God Member

Our stairs were the jolly dancers - we were also told a lot to put th'wood in th'ole (or please shut the door to the uninitiated)
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 14:16   #51
Beacon of light

I love the old dialect and I used to be able to write poems in it, but because you rarely hear it now I have lost the knack.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 15:46   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
My Great Aunt Agnes had gaslight for years - it made electric light look very harsh by comparison.

Her reason for sticking with it was that if the gas leaked, you could smell it, but if the electricity leaked, it could be all over the house before you knew about it .......
my word did i laugh at that pendy but i too had grandparents who were worried that 'leccy would escape.

makes me think of when i lived in croft street (Neto there now) and playing with melted tar in the summer and mi ma saying "thi'll git mucky n' thi'll ned a b'th" :engsmil:
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 17:34   #53
Senior Member+

MARGARET, who was your uncle who worked at the gas board? I worked there fo 14 years, 1960-74.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 19:11   #54
God Member

tha's nod as green as tha'art cabbage looking

thers nowt as griddle as wick

????????????

incidentally I am 28 and was in the new Accrington & Rossendale College construction building a few days ago and I remarked that I remember when this was all fields. I instantly felt octogenarian
Old 26-11-2005, 17:05   #55
God Member

All the dilects are dying out which is a shame its part of our heritage.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 21:46   #56

[
quote=cashman]pumee stoning the step was another.[/quote]

The Pumice stone was used for sloughing hard skin off the feet, I think you mean 'donkey stoning' the step.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 21:51   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T
my word did i laugh at that pendy but i too had grandparents who were worried that 'leccy would escape.

makes me think of when i lived in croft street (Neto there now) and playing with melted tar in the summer and mi ma saying "thi'll git mucky n' thi'll ned a b'th" :engsmil:
My dad worked on Croft St at the conveyor & elevator company, also wasn't there a tripe works at the end of the street?

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 22:01   #58

heres a wee bit of northern ireland hospitality !! hope its not to rude and its still in use today
"Man, he's a fuggen dickbax, no bones about it. I'd knack the ballbegs ballix in...."
Translates as: I'm not particularly fond of said person in question, but by jove, I'd hit him if I saw him.

if this posts controversial tell me quick and i will remove it ..also if it offends anyone ..

Last edited by geoff70; 05-12-2005 at 22:09.
geoff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 23:05   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff70
heres a wee bit of northern ireland hospitality !! hope its not to rude and its still in use today
"Man, he's a fuggen dickbax, no bones about it. I'd knack the ballbegs ballix in...."
Translates as: I'm not particularly fond of said person in question, but by jove, I'd hit him if I saw him.

if this posts controversial tell me quick and i will remove it ..also if it offends anyone ..
No Geoff, if the auto censor doesn't slap you it's ok.

I'm sure I don't know what it means, I'll have to get a little Northern Ireland dictionary.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 19:04   #60
Resting In Peace

Heres a word from the past, "Gradely", it was used in quite a few instances but loosely it meant good or something to be proud of as in "He's got himself a gradely car now instead of that old banger", or "About time tha got thi sel a gradely meal in thi".
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..