Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2008, 23:00   #91

Re: lost dialect

ive really enjoyed reading all your posts. ive not heard of most of them only one i recall is apples and pears meaning stairs.
Old 13-01-2008, 23:01   #92
God Member

remember when i came down on holiday to blackburn well [visit relatives] they used to call heavy metal people knebs .sumthin like that
Old 13-01-2008, 23:14   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
paris n i were nattering last night n she said i'm Vexed at you, lol we both started laughing n said my mam used to say that to me, aint heard that for donkeys years, anyone still say/hear it.
Someone will get vexed if you've been oining them

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 23:38   #94
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Someone will get vexed if you've been oining them
ya got it in 1, but have ya heard/used the word lately, i aint heard it for years.
Old 13-01-2008, 23:47   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

one me grandad used to say when agreeing with someone was yahndeed, dont know if that will sound like it.
Old 13-01-2008, 23:54   #96
God Member

Thal nairn flummax me - mi dad allus talked broad.

Old 13-01-2008, 23:56   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Thal nairn flummax me - mi dad allus talked broad.
well ya sure got him baffeled.
Old 14-01-2008, 00:02   #98
God Member

Hi were a tackler 'n feckled in t' mill
Mi mum were a weaver and never got fetched up - good un
I used to go t' mill after scewel and kiss shuttles fer 'er.

Old 14-01-2008, 01:16   #99
God Member

Quote:
Hi were a tackler 'n feckled in t' mill
Mi mum were a weaver and never got fetched up - good un
I used to go t' mill after scewel and kiss shuttles fer 'er.
re kissing the shuttle , I've never been sure what that was , one explanation I was told was , a weaver did it when she was sucking the thread out from the bobbin through the hole in the shuttle before putting it into the loom , the other thing I heard was it was when the shuttle used to 'jump/fly' out of the loom and hit someone , considering they were metal tipped I supposed they could and did cause a few injuries , I think the saying goes back to the days of old Lancashire looms and phased out when Northrop and other automatic looms were introduced .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 06:48   #100

Gee Steeley, you seem to know your shuttles & Looms. Your mum must have been a weaver.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 11:31   #101
Resident Waffler

Kissing the shuttle was sucking the thread through. You poked the thread from one side and then had to put your mouth onto it as if you were giving it a kiss and then suck and the end of the thread would be sucked through the hole.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 15:50   #102
God Member

Quote:
one me grandad used to say when agreeing with someone was yahndeed, dont know if that will sound like it.
Does that mean 'Yes, Indeed'?
Old 14-01-2008, 15:55   #103
God Member

Quote:
paris n i were nattering last night n she said i'm Vexed at you, lol we both started laughing n said my mam used to say that to me, aint heard that for donkeys years, anyone still say/hear it.

I say the word vexed quite often. With a hubby and two young kids I am quite often vexed.

Seriously, I do use the word. I've been told I use quite a few old words / sayings for my age. I've been told so many times that I remind people of their Granny.

That's due to the words and phrases I use rather than the way I look......I hope.
Old 14-01-2008, 19:18   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Does that mean 'Yes, Indeed'?
it does Lilly.
Old 14-01-2008, 21:15   #105
Super Moderator

Was talking to my mum about the bloke Cashy and myself were discussing in another thread who'd been banned from every pub on Blackburn Road. She said, "his mum was a nice woman, but when I used to see her round town with all her shopping, she always looked powfagged," Not heard that for years!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..