Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2008, 21:23   #106
God Member

Re: lost dialect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Was talking to my mum about the bloke Cashy and myself were discussing in another thread who'd been banned from every pub on Blackburn Road. She said, "his mum was a nice woman, but when I used to see her round town with all her shopping, she always looked powfagged," Not heard that for years!
I say that one too, lol
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2008, 21:27   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

now thats one i aint heard. powfagged? his mum lived with the guy n his wife in her later years, was a lovely lady.
Old 14-01-2008, 21:30   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
now thats one i aint heard. powfagged?
Exhausted, Cashy.
Old 14-01-2008, 21:32   #109
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

thats 1-1 cheers Lilly.
Old 14-01-2008, 21:38   #110
God Member

Does anyone else on here call sausages as 'bags o' mystery'?

I heard the term years ago and think it's very funny.

I like saying to my hubby 'It's bags o' mystery and mash for tea.
Old 14-01-2008, 21:47   #111

Hi Everyone - I new on the forum (see post on the "new to forum link).

I've read this thread with fascination and recall many of the phrases quoted. One I haven't seen is:
Does anyone remember "playin' on t' coits". The stone roofs of all the outside toilets and bin holes line the back streets of our beloved terraced houses. Or your Mum screaming your name from the top o' them same coits.

Ian
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 21:50   #112
Resident Waffler

I allus use to play on t' coits. Mentioned coits to Busman the other week and he looked totally baffled.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 21:54   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I allus use to play on t' coits. Mentioned coits to Busman the other week and he looked totally baffled.
I spent many a happy hour playin on t' coits when I were nobbut a lass.

I love this thread.
Old 14-01-2008, 21:55   #114
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

used to lie hidden on the coits, guarding the bonfire wood, woe betide any raiders.
Old 14-01-2008, 22:04   #115
God Member

Refering to terraced houses , what were the jobstones/joabstones ? are they the two uprights on either side of the front door and the stone lintles on the bottom window , usually painted a matching color to the front door and window frames.
Also there was usually a fixed small window above the front door a 'fanlight' which allowed light into the lobby but it was called something different by my Grandparents (think the window cleaner charged 3d extra for that one)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 22:22   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Refering to terraced houses , what were the jobstones/joabstones ? are they the two uprights on either side of the front door and the stone lintles on the bottom window , usually painted a matching color to the front door and window frames.
Also there was usually a fixed small window above the front door a 'fanlight' which allowed light into the lobby but it was called something different by my Grandparents (think the window cleaner charged 3d extra for that one)
The uprights of door and window casings are called Jambs with the emphasis on the "a" souonding "ah", if you get my drift. Therefore the upright stone pieces supporting the lintle would be jamb stones.

Ian
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 22:31   #117
God Member

owd women used to 'camp' (gossip) at their front doors whist being refered to as nosy buggers by them inside peeping out through the lace curtains
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 23:15   #118
God Member

When Cashy said 'powfagged' it reminded me that a 'pow' was a haircut.
More words - 'gradely' - 'praties' - 'childer' - 'clocker'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 23:20   #119
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

being on another thread reminded me of theve chucked im int Meat Wagon.
Old 14-01-2008, 23:26   #120
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

who remembers the "Tatter" coming round?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..