Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 11:58   #16

Re: Soft Mick.

My grandfather used to come out with a couple of strange ones which I've never heard anyone else use. Maybe some of you will know these.

If you asked him a question to which he didn't know the answer, or didn't want to give you the answer he would say "Because there's a nail in't plank" eg. "Why are you late home tonight Grandad?" Answer: "Because there's a nail in't plank."

His other one, and this is even more strange was if you asked him what something was and he didn't know or didn't want to tell you he would say, and I don't know if this is how it would be spelled but this is how it sounded "Layores to catch meddlers." eg. "What are all those things you have piled up in the garage grandad?" Answer: "Layores to catch meddlers!"

What the hell is all that about - anybody?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2005, 13:22   #17
Resident Waffler

Dunno John but my Gran used to tell me to stop being a "mard article" and if I was getting under their feet I was often told by parents and grandparents to "go and play wi' Co-op truck!"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 15:18   #18
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Soft Mick was also alive and well in my Nan's house up Springhill, I remember him well

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 18:34   #19
Beacon of light

The term layo'ers for meddlers was used if you asked something you weren't supposed to know about.......Like I would say to my mother 'what's that' and she would say 'it's layo'ers for meddlers and crutches for lame ducks'
'Gedding agate' was to get going and was used extensively by weavers......in 'I am just going to ged agate' to get the looms started up.
The 'there's a nail in't plank' well my grandad used something similar......if you asked him why he was late he used to say 'I've a bone in me leg'.......and I can't shed more light on it than that.
And if you were useless they did say you weren't fit to wrap toffees at 'Toffee' Hodsons.
See what you've started Garinda!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 19:23   #20
Give, give, give member

Lol, l knew a lady who used to say when l visited 'put th'wood in th' oil an' cum n sit thee down.'

Only later did l shut the door. l never did find the oil!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 19:56   #21
white rabbits

when we were kids if you went home crying you would be told not to be a mard _arse or a skrike_arse ,,stop skrikeing ,,,and if you were being silly you were told to stop lakeing about ..and then there was you pie can ,meaning you daft ha,peth ,,,,,oh now i am rambleing on
Old 14-03-2005, 11:15   #22

Smile Re: Soft Mick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Lol, l knew a lady who used to say when l visited 'put th'wood in th' oil an' cum n sit thee down.'

Only later did l shut the door. l never did find the oil!
The "oil" she referred to was the hole in the the wall where the door went. Hole, pronounced in Lancashire dialect as "oil"

JohnW
Old 14-03-2005, 11:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
The term layo'ers for meddlers was used if you asked something you weren't supposed to know about.......Like I would say to my mother 'what's that' and she would say 'it's layo'ers for meddlers and crutches for lame ducks'
'Gedding agate' was to get going and was used extensively by weavers......in 'I am just going to ged agate' to get the looms started up.
The 'there's a nail in't plank' well my grandad used something similar......if you asked him why he was late he used to say 'I've a bone in me leg'.......and I can't shed more light on it than that.
And if you were useless they did say you weren't fit to wrap toffees at 'Toffee' Hodsons.
See what you've started Garinda!
But where do the sayings come from? That's the interesting question. I know that a "meddler" could be a term for someone who interferes. eg. "You're always "meddlin' in other folks business" but what on earth is a "layo'er"?

JohnW
Old 14-03-2005, 13:03   #24
Resting in peace

If I was slow in doing something, I always used to be told to "Shape yourself". Never could work that out!

Anyone ever told they were as much use as a chocolate teapot?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 10:16   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
The "oil" she referred to was the hole in the the wall where the door went. Hole, pronounced in Lancashire dialect as "oil"
'Shut yer cake oil John, l wer' only jokin!'

From the fully bilingual Garinda

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 10:52   #26

and if you wouldent share things when we were kids we were told not to be so peevish ,????

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 10:58   #27
white rabbits

Talking Re: Soft Mick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneyboy1942
and if you wouldent share things when we were kids we were told not to be so peevish ,????
dont be so skinny was another one
Old 15-03-2005, 11:11   #28

Unhappy Re: Soft Mick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
'Shut yer cake oil John, l wer' only jokin!'

From the fully bilingual Garinda
Sorry Garinda, I'm getting old and a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

I've getten no oil i' mi lamp.

JohnW
Old 15-03-2005, 11:18   #29
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
Sorry Garinda, I'm getting old and a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

I've getten no oil i' mi lamp.
or lead in my pencil ...oops
Old 15-03-2005, 13:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
or lead in my pencil ...oops
Nothing wrong with the pencil or the lead grannyclaret.

JohnW

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..