Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 17:50   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: Soft Mick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc
Somebody takin' me name in vain again !!!

Its a good job it don't upset me or I'd end up "scriikin"
Nah, wouldn't 'take the mickey' mick.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2006, 18:38   #107
Yank in King Art's Court!

"'begger this for a bunch 'o soldiers' seems one vowel had been changed in the first word, but better than swearing I suppose."

Oh oh, is "Bugga em" considered a swear? My mom uses that expression alot!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 19:27   #108
white rabbits

QUOTE,,,,Also...She used to talk about "Fred Fernackerpan" (sp?) dunno who he was!.....QUOTE
.................................................. ..................................................
Lady Jane if youve heard of The Haughten Weavers ,they sing a wonderful comic song about Fred Fernackerpan,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think the meaning is meant to be some youth who is very gormless,,,,,,,,
Old 01-08-2006, 19:37   #109

dad used to grow chrysants......and always used coddy muck......

when I was young I decided to get a crew cut........comment from Mum....."I,ve seen better hair on bacon".......
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 22:04   #110

"Not sure if we have had 'gormless': clueless, dim-witted. Just read an explanation and comes from 'gome' , circa AD1200 for 'to take heed' Amazing"

That makes sense, I was always told to "tek no gorm" of people trying to take the mick (soft or otherwise)
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 22:09   #111

Red face Re: Soft Mick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
I always thought that 'mard' meant soft, as in a wimp. eg. "Don't be so damn mard, what ya cryin' for?

Another one my mother used to come out with was: "You're as soft as my pocket." meaning mard as I described above.

Some more:
If you were doing something and making a bad job of it my father would say; "You shape like John Smith" or "You're not fit to wrap toffee up at Tommy Hodsons"
I always thought that it was "marred" not "mard", meaning spoiled. One of my mum's was/is "He's marred while he stinks"- usually one of my mates who she considered especially spoilt
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 00:40   #112
Give, give, give member

Not sure if this is the right thread, but who else says 'skrike', or however it's written, meaning cry?

I was going to post in another thread I was having 'a good skrike', as it's a word we use in our family, but then I thought perhaps no one else uses it, or wouldn't inderstand what I meant.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 00:42   #113
Resident Waffler

Yep, we use it - apart from Busman. He may not have heard it yet.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 00:55   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Yep, we use it - apart from Busman. He may not have heard it yet.
Thanks for confirming it is indeed a real, used word. I've also just found it listed on this Lancashire dialect site, as well as a few other crackers. Like 'cack handed'. That always makes me smile, wondering about it's origins, or perhaps it's just I'm mucky mind, and it's nothing at all to do with visiting the privvy.

http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/lan...-dialects.html

Old 04-03-2007, 00:56   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was going to post in another thread I was having 'a good skrike'
I used to, my family always used it "stop skriking!" Now I just say I was having a girly moment .... my last girly moment was because my pc died and I lost all my music
Old 04-03-2007, 05:09   #116
Senior Member+

don't know if i've come into this too late but i found this:

soft mick
Encyclopedia : S : SO : SOF : soft mick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soft Mick is a name used to describe an extravagance in East Lancashire and West Yorkshire

The phrase to have more than Soft Mick means to posess an extravagant quantity of that thing.

Soft Mick is seemingly used more in Accrington in conjunction with shoes "More shoes than Soft Mick" Leading some to believe that Soft Mick may have been a Irish shoe peddler working around Accrington, East Lancs, in the early 1900s

dunno if it helps?

*thinkin about it i used to know a guy from sheffield way who used the phrase "am stood ere lik soft mick"*
along the lines of stood ere like cheese at fourpence(just another variation i suppose)

Last edited by jedimaster; 04-03-2007 at 05:14.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:10   #117
Give, give, give member

Another one I've heard used (thanks Mum,) along the lines of cheese at fourpence, is 'stood/stuck here like a wet lettuce'.

Old 04-03-2007, 13:15   #118
Resting in Peace

Quote:
'stood/stuck here like a wet lettuce'.
Very common in Lancs. that one Garinda .. always thought that a wet lettuce would be fresher .

This is one form of language ... similies (sp) ? I find myself saying things like this, starting with summat and then petering out because I can never think quick enough of what the first bit is like ... Hope ya' ged it.

If you listen to Corrie the writers give characters like Eileen some wonderful ones ... try to remember them, but never can.

'Not on your Nellie' confused me .. just wondered where my Nellie was ?
Old 04-03-2007, 13:19   #119
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
'Not on your Nellie' confused me .. just wondered where my Nellie was ?
Love it.

It's so easy to forget these phrases, and they may well die out in the future, but they are fascinating.

Who was Nellie, and why on earth would people go on her?

Old 04-03-2007, 13:24   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Who was Nellie, and why on earth would people go on her?
Just looked this up Garinda (never gonna' get me ironing done at this rate!).

Seems should really be 'Not on your Nellie Duff' rhyming slang to 'not on your puff' (not personal ... tee hee), meaning 'not on your life' Still no explanation though to the personage of Nellie Duff, just made up I guess as most rhyming slang.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..