Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 15:35   #91
God Member

Re: Soft Mick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Another saying that I think is fairly localised is Shanksey's pony.
Shanks's pony, Going on ... - To walk. The original Shanks's pony was a horse-drawn lawnmower with nowhere for the driver to sit, so he had to walk along behind.

Taken from:http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A128152

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2006, 16:16   #92
Give, give, give member

Cheers yerself.

Liked this as well on the same site.

Window licker - A name for the sort of nutter who sits next to you on the bus and does something weird.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 00:58   #93

Hi

I haven't even gone to the introduce yourself page yet, I was so eager to join in this thread as I find it so fascinating! Reading all your posts made lots of memories come flooding back!

My Nan would shout and say "Come here at once Lady Jane (hence username lol!) - if I was naughty or being cheeky. I'm not even called Jane!

She would also say "Don't just stand there like one of Lewis's" if I was standing around not knowing what to do, or not "shaping myself"!!

She also used to call the bread bin a "bread mug". She called a slice of bread a "round" of bread.

She also taught us to say "Does your Mother take in washing?" whilst touching our chin with our fingers. This was apparently used if you had a new ring on your finger and you wanted to show it off!!

Also..."You shape like my Aunt Fanny" - if I was struggling to do something like fold the washing.

Also...She used to talk about "Fred Fernackerpan" (sp?) dunno who he was!

If someone was on the large side she would say they looked like "Ten Tonne Tesse"!

"Do you live in a barn? Well put t'wood in t'hole!"

I vaguely remember Shanksey's Pony.

I was born in Manchester. My Nan and all my family come from Manchester. I lived in Blackpool for over 20 years and heard some of the above whilst living there. Definitely heard of Soft Mick in both towns! When I moved to Burnley I went into Oddies and asked for a cheese and onion barm cake. The girl looked at me as if I was simple. She said "do you mean a tea cake?" and I thought ugh no way, not with cheese and onion. Tea cakes here are bread rolls but to me they have currants in! Also people in Burnley say "trimming up" for Christmas which I had never heard of. The best is "agate". It still baffles me when I hear people say it! Oh and window bottom. I know it as a window sill!

I was always going to the foot of our stairs too! If I asked the whereabouts of someone I would get "she ran off with a black man". Also I can remember being very young and falling asleep on Nan's knee. She would watch me rub my eyes and say "I think the sandman's coming, time for bo-boes!"

Oh I could go on forever! Thanks for the memories lol!!
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 10:43   #94
Junior Member+

How about "there and back again to see how far it is"? Or "layohs (?) for meddlers" and finally when as a child i once asked my dad where my mum was " she's run off wi a black chap came the bizarre reply. And aint it funny it weren't bizarre then, n how kids just accept (at a certain age) that if your mum or dad tell you owt its right!
Old 30-07-2006, 11:21   #95
Resting in Peace

'Same to you with knobs on' ?? 'Knobs?' .. May you suffer a similar fate, only worse. Not the last poster, just another saying
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 12:08   #96

here,s a few more for you........

"Thaz a face like a line a wet weshin"........... Stop sulking

"Sawreetferthee"............. It is all right for you
"Standin theer leyke cheese at fourpence"................ Hanging around - Having nothing better to do.

or Dad in his allotment yelling out ......"fetch degging can"

"Stondin theer like one a' Burtons dummies" ....description of an idle person

"Tha's bin aytin vinnigger offa knife" .....- a response to a sharp phrase or scolding remark

"Tha's no oyl in thi' lamp" ..........said to a 'fool'

"Thick enough t'chowk a donkey" .....A reference to a wad of notes in a rich mans wallet.

Last edited by talentedbutslow; 30-07-2006 at 12:15.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 12:25   #97
Resting in Peace

Being a cat lover .. always had pictures in my head of someone in the middle of a room holding this cat with its tail and swinging around in a circle to test the space .. in other words: 'not enough room to swing a cat'

Early form of measurement ?
Old 30-07-2006, 12:29   #98

tha,s gotta stand on threepence to make fourpence.........

Old 30-07-2006, 17:48   #99
Passed away 25-11-09

My dad used to use the "Making layo'ers for medlars" one, when asked what he was doing. I only found out recently that the medlars in question were the fruit - like a pear - and a layo'er is a fruit net.

I'm still trying to find out who Tommy Berry was. This was one of dad's favourite expressions if someone was having a tantrum or acting manic. "Having a Tommy Berry do" was what he called it. I never heard anyone else say it.
Old 30-07-2006, 21:54   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane
Hi

e. She said "do you mean a tea cake?" and I thought ugh no way, not with cheese and onion. Tea cakes here are bread rolls but to me they have currants in!
Strange you should just mention that Lady Jane, I worked in Man. for over 16 years and always had trouble ordering a tea cake with chicken and salad.

Had a friend from this area here on Friday night. For supper, made bacon butties, said only got tea cakes, of which friend went Ugh !! they have currants in.. no! they don't .. plain .. no currants, wat ya' talkin' about !?!
Then lapsed into long discussion difference between balm cakes/muffins/tea cakes. Manchester just down the road too.

Anyway, sticking to thread 'What's that when it's at 'ome ?'
Old 30-07-2006, 22:25   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex

Anyway, sticking to thread 'What's that when it's at 'ome ?'

its either "summat or nowt"............
Old 30-07-2006, 22:31   #102
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yandeed - was another= yes indeed.me grandad again lol
Old 01-08-2006, 17:19   #103
Yank in King Art's Court!

Thanks guys, I really have enjoyed this thread. "Not to beat a dead horse " but one of my mom's favorite expressions was "Dear Guzzy's Hat?" That's one my mom used to say alot just like the "bless my cotton socks" expression. Just wasn't sure if was a Lancashire or a Yorkshire saying.

My Mom used to talk about when her grandmother and some of her uncles would visit her dad up in Providence, Rhode Island. They'd get to talking while playing cards. My mom couldn't understand half of what they said. She asked what language they were talking and her Dad would say it's Lancashire ya bloody fool (in a nice way I'm sure).

My mom has been kinda losing her mind (she's 78). I've copied many of the Lancashire sayings to see if they jog her memory. Thanks!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 17:36   #104

Somebody takin' me name in vain again !!!

Its a good job it don't upset me or I'd end up "scriikin"
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 17:46   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee

My mom has been kinda losing her mind (she's 78). I've copied many of the Lancashire sayings to see if they jog her memory. Thanks!

Brian
That is a lovely thought Brian, sure some of her memory cells will be jogged by these. Glad everybody could help here.

Not sure if we have had 'gormless': clueless, dim-witted. Just read an explanation and comes from 'gome' , circa AD1200 for 'to take heed' Amazing.

Was amused at the explanation of 'scrubber' :analogy is to animals that inhabit scrub ... hmmm. I never been in the scrub .. too cold, so everybody wrong about me then (don't mention this to yer mom though.. might be offended)

'begger this for a bunch 'o soldiers' seems one vowel had been changed in the first word, but better than swearing I suppose.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..