Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 11:39   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Soft Mick.

Another saying that I think is fairly localised is Shanksey's pony.

It means walk, so obviously the Shankseys, whoever they were, didn't have a pony.

Has anybody heard of this phrase, and how far a field did it travel, the phrase not the pony.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46   #77
God Member

Back to original question. Anyone found the origins of soft mick? He got around a bit as he was definitely in Preston where I grew up.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:51   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Back to original question. Anyone found the origins of soft mick? He got around a bit as he was definitely in Preston where I grew up.

Mick came from Preston originally, but I don't think it was him, as the new pair of shoes he has are rubbing, so I doubt he's got more shoes than 'the' soft Mick.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:53   #79
God Member

At the risk of getting whooshed....... shoes?

soft mick usually used in the form of "more *** than soft mick"
Old 06-03-2006, 11:56   #80
Give, give, give member

It was mainly used in our house about someone having more shoes than soft Mick, and no it wasn't me.

I had two pairs of clogs, one for school and one for Sunday best.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:40   #81
Resting in Peace

Yes Kipax it is used in Preston a lot and no its not me and the shoes are still rubbing hehe my mum and dad used the saying a lot mum comes from Glasgow and dad from southamton so its getting about a bit
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 17:03   #82
white rabbits

i have just read all these posts again,,and it made me laugh... i wonder what southern's make of it ...arnt we a lot of daft ape eths
Old 06-03-2006, 17:54   #83
Resting in Peace

yes granny claret just for that you can have some mithise and splongies work that one out
my dad used to say it to me hehe ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 18:01   #84
white rabbits

stumped on that..i hope its not rude lol
Old 07-03-2006, 16:32   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanaccrington
It might have something to do with Paddys but dont quote me heres another though I think its Ossy only but would love to be told yes or no " agate this" or she's agate........ anyone?
'agate' is very Accy. In fact my sister in Sydney(much to my amusment) still uses the word. Soft mick has been around the traps as far as I can remember since I was a kid. Don't know its origin though
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 17:07   #86
Resting in Peace

Seems like a lot of these sayings have been based on true life people, or happenings in the past, and will be a story behind them. Take nursery rhymes for instance "Ring a Ring a Roses" everyone knows was based on the symptoms for the plague or was it smallpox ?

Maybe our descendants in about a century will be asking the same question here and wondering how sayings came about. Can't just think of any off the top of my head, except seeing as we have a thread about this particular person at the moment maybe they will be quoting. Been for a Hugh Grant. Sorry, maybe that should really be in the 18's Anyway, is fun speculating future sayings from characters of today.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 17:12   #87
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
'agate' is very Accy. In fact my sister in Sydney(much to my amusment) still uses the word.
....that was very definately a burnley saying as well...
Old 07-03-2006, 22:31   #88
Accy Goddess

Agate was used in Preston. These mithies and splonges must have been something posh.
I had never heard of them till I met mick and still don't know what they are or what it means.
I had forgotton all about that. Not heard Mick use that term for absalutly yonks.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 22:54   #89
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
yes granny claret just for that you can have some mithise and splongies work that one out
my dad used to say it to me hehe ?
well come on mick.... what does it mean....
Old 08-03-2006, 00:34   #90
Resting in Peace

I must say that this thread has had me giggling away with fond memories. will have to have a rite good think bout wot to put next
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..