Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 19:24   #16
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
God help him if he is with talk talk
Talk talk took over AOL in the UK. So yeah essentially....perhaps.

AOL browser. Might as well willingly install a load of viruses
Old 08-01-2013, 20:20   #17
Senior Member+

Re: Logging In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Talk talk took over AOL in the UK. So yeah essentially....perhaps.

AOL browser. Might as well willingly install a load of viruses
I was with tiscali at first then talktalk took over. within 1 week I lost my broadband, then my phone signal. I rang talktalk to cancel my contract to be told that I would have to pay the remaining 18 months of my contract, to which I replied " you have broken your contract with me by not supplying me with a faster Broadband. After 18 months of phone calls and contacting the telephone ombudsman I was awarded £ 80 from talktalk.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 21:01   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I was with tiscali at first then talktalk took over. within 1 week I lost my broadband, then my phone signal. I rang talktalk to cancel my contract to be told that I would have to pay the remaining 18 months of my contract, to which I replied " you have broken your contract with me by not supplying me with a faster Broadband. After 18 months of phone calls and contacting the telephone ombudsman I was awarded £ 80 from talktalk.
Curious did you "accept" talk talk taking over the service. I know aol users had to accept it.
Old 08-01-2013, 21:19   #19
Senior Member+

Yeh I just accepted that talktalk were taking over.I was not very internet savvy then.
Old 08-01-2013, 21:36   #20
Senior Member+

Just speaking from my own experience, I am on talktalk and have never had a moments problem ,so never have had to make contact so don't know what the response would be. However my neighbour is with BT Internet for both phone and Internet yet his service is disconnected almost on a monthly basis, with delays of days before reconnection.

I have previously been with BT. Tiscali, Pipex, and now talktalk, and talktalk up to date are the best service.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 21:39   #21
Senior Member+

Talk have a deal with BT? If I'm not mistaken they own most of the telecoms??? If so perhaps it's their wiring
Old 08-01-2013, 23:06   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Talk have a deal with BT? If I'm not mistaken they own most of the telecoms??? If so perhaps it's their wiring
Its Bt exchanges, with talktalk equipment placed in the exchanges to link to your equipment. having said that I dont get the problems that BT customers do.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:42   #23
Senior Member+

Ah that's the part that has never been explained to me. That would be the reason whymy friend got a slower speed than me when I lived in Clayton ( he's on talk talk and I'm on o2)

My parents live in the Devonshire drive area and they are now on bt infinity so that might be an option dunno about the rest of Clayton
Old 09-01-2013, 08:09   #24
Resting in Peace

I'm on BT soon to be infinirt, never had any trouble what so ever
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:28   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ah that's the part that has never been explained to me. That would be the reason whymy friend got a slower speed than me when I lived in Clayton ( he's on talk talk and I'm on o2)

My parents live in the Devonshire drive area and they are now on bt infinity so that might be an option dunno about the rest of Clayton
Since the deregulation of the telecoms industry BT split into various companies, BT openreach was to maintain the Internet connections.
All wire based Internet providers use the BT superstructure and pay them for the privilege. So whoever you subscribe with, the middle bit is is routed through the BT communication system. The only exception to this is the fibre optic system, Virgin is the only one I know about that has this system in place, which was nynex at one stage.

The telephone system is exactly the same system, even if you don't have the Internet. This leads to a complicated system that lets you have a BT phone line and BT bill with a talktalk Internet connection and a talktalk bill, yet they all use the same wire to connect you to the other party, or reception of service.

I have to go now, all this thinking has made my head throb.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:45   #26
Beacon of light

I had a problem with my Bt internet....I have been with them ever since I got internet access and used to be on dial up......BT were very responsive......told me that my router was at fault......it was ancient and had outlived its usefulness. Withing 48 hours I had a new whizzy router,though they call it a hub.......and full instructions on how to install......and since then I have not had any real problems.

I think those who do have problems shout loud about it(sometimes with just cause)......those that have had good service rarely tell folks about it.
That is just the way it is.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:04   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm on BT soon to be infinirt, never had any trouble what so ever
I've been on infinity now for 6 months and so far it has been great.
Old 09-01-2013, 19:31   #28
Beacon of light

My only contact with Talk Talk was when my call provider Onetel was taken over by them.
I was bombarded with calls from them to bring my broadband and phone line to them as well.
I politely(well, at first I was polite) told them I was satisfied with my broadband and phone line from BT.
I felt harrassed by them, so much so, that I told them that if they didn't stop ringing me and badgering me I would take my calls back to BT. They didn't stop their selling calls.
So I did exactly that.

If you tell a company that you do not want services they are offering, then that should be enough...and I knew how to contact them if I was ever dissatisfied with my current provider.....so now, just the mention of Talk Talk puts my hackles up.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 20:12   #29
Senior Member+

Dave. As entwisi mentioned in another thread. BT are now installing cable. But it goes from fibre optic to copper so many hundred metres from a house which I suppose will mean virgin will be slightly faster

Last edited by Restless; 09-01-2013 at 20:15.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 20:41   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Dave. As entwisi mentioned in another thread. BT are now installing cable. But it goes from fibre optic to copper so many hundred metres from a house which I suppose will mean virgin will be slightly faster
Cable was a system that was installed with what was modern techniques at the time, in order to deliver a fibre optic system directly into homes. Do you remember all the digging that went on along streets in order to lay all the cables.

In contrast BT as it is now, was installed primarily to deliver a phone line into homes, most of the wires at the time were overhead, some still are. That means that all this Internet malarkey was shoe horned into a telecommunication system, so no, wires will never be faster than optic cables. There is no internal resistance on an optical signal, but there is on copper wires, it used to be said the further from the exchange you were the slower the connection. Another reason BT are installing optical cable is that they can multiplex the system, thereby more connections from fewer strands, rather than the dedicated line from home to the person receiving the call.

I have to go for a lie down now my head is throbbing again with all this technical talk.
Restless likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..