Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 20:59   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Logging In

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Cable was a system that was installed with what was modern techniques at the time, in order to deliver a fibre optic system directly into homes. Do you remember all the digging that went on along streets in order to lay all the cables.

In contrast BT as it is now, was installed primarily to deliver a phone line into homes, most of the wires at the time were overhead, some still are. That means that all this Internet malarkey was shoe horned into a telecommunication system, so no, wires will never be faster than optic cables. There is no internal resistance on an optical signal, but there is on copper wires, it used to be said the further from the exchange you were the slower the connection. Another reason BT are installing optical cable is that they can multiplex the system, thereby more connections from fewer strands, rather than the dedicated line from home to the person receiving the call.

I have to go for a lie down now my head is throbbing again with all this technical talk.
Much of your technical talk is not quite right.
Virgin do not deliver fibre directly to your home. I don't think anyone has fibre into their home. With Virgin you have a coax and a phone cable from your house to the cabinet in the street. It is fibre from the cabinet.

I think BT are doing the same. The original cable from your house to the street cabinet and then fibre from the cabinet.

Most people on Virgin can get 100Mb if they want, soon to be 130Mb I think it is. With Virgin you usually get what they say you get. I am on 20Mb and that's what I get when I do tests

BT are quoting up to 160Mb in some areas and up to 76Mb in other areas. Who knows what you will actually get as they tell you it could vary at different times of the day
Restless likes this.
Old 09-01-2013, 21:18   #32
Senior Member+

Your right Neil it's mostly guesswork
Old 09-01-2013, 22:36   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Much of your technical talk is not quite right.
Virgin do not deliver fibre directly to your home. I don't think anyone has fibre into their home. With Virgin you have a coax and a phone cable from your house to the cabinet in the street. It is fibre from the cabinet.

I think BT are doing the same. The original cable from your house to the street cabinet and then fibre from the cabinet.

Most people on Virgin can get 100Mb if they want, soon to be 130Mb I think it is. With Virgin you usually get what they say you get. I am on 20Mb and that's what I get when I do tests

BT are quoting up to 160Mb in some areas and up to 76Mb in other areas. Who knows what you will actually get as they tell you it could vary at different times of the day
I think its a bit of hair splitting, the cable system was installed in the street to deliver "cable" to each house to take advantage of the fibre system, it is independent of any other communication system, thereby putting fibre systems into each house that adopted it. If you say there is wire at the start point, I wont disagree with you, as I don't have the details to argue either way. Although wire to the cabinet is a shorter haul than to the exchange.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:05   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Cable was a system that was installed with what was modern techniques at the time, in order to deliver a fibre optic system directly into homes. Do you remember all the digging that went on along streets in order to lay all the cables.

I have to go for a lie down now my head is throbbing again with all this technical talk.
I think you will find the original cables laid where co-axial, these where replaced by Virgin with fibre optic after they took over.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41   #35

Woopee! That another satisfied customer.

Happy surfing, Grange.

Now, who's next?
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeylass View Post
Woopee! That another satisfied customer.

Happy surfing, Grange.

Now, who's next?
I bet you can't wait until you can start using the fingers on both hands to count the number of satisfied customers, I would have a similar problem if I were to take up prostitution!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:06   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I had a problem with my Bt internet....I have been with them ever since I got internet access and used to be on dial up......BT were very responsive......told me that my router was at fault......it was ancient and had outlived its usefulness. Withing 48 hours I had a new whizzy router,though they call it a hub.......and full instructions on how to install......and since then I have not had any real problems.

I think those who do have problems shout loud about it(sometimes with just cause)......those that have had good service rarely tell folks about it.
That is just the way it is.
Exactly the same here Margaret, I was having problems losing connection and within 48 hrs they fitted a new hub that little black box and everything is fine.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think you will find the original cables laid where co-axial, these where replaced by Virgin with fibre optic after they took over.
I stand corrected, it was always refered to as "cable" and still is, it was initialy installed to deliver TV as its main function.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 15:26   #39

You will be pleased to hear that I have now got a new computer...the old one was 15 years old...just one problem at the moment...I seem to have to double click instead of a single click...how can I correct this please...its a mind teaser to me but no doubt all you experts will know how to cue it...and by the way do you know the true definition of expert?
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 15:55   #40
Beacon of light

I can't answer your double click question Grange...but the definition of an expert is:-
X marks the spot, and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 15:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grange View Post
and by the way do you know the true definition of expert?
Does it go somewhere along the lines of:-

'The person you don't want to upset while you are asking for free advice'?
Old 10-01-2013, 16:28   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grange View Post
You will be pleased to hear that I have now got a new computer...the old one was 15 years old...just one problem at the moment...I seem to have to double click instead of a single click...how can I correct this please...its a mind teaser to me but no doubt all you experts will know how to cue it...and by the way do you know the true definition of expert?
You don't seem to have learnt much since starting this thread, you claim to have a new Computer.
  1. How New? Brand New, Second Hand?
  2. What operating System?
  3. Have you had your data transferred from your old P.C.?
  4. If so, why didn't you ask at the time about double clicking?
  5. Can you explain why your computer needed to be updated just to continue using AOL?
  6. Will you perhaps be updating to a decent browser?
  7. Will you just ignore the above questions just as you ignored Restless?
  8. If your answer to any of the above questions is to ignore them can you tell me why you should be helped?

Old 10-01-2013, 17:32   #43

See page 12 for my answers to Restless

Thank you all for your help in this matter
Old 10-01-2013, 17:42   #44
Senior Member+

Double click before or after loading aol (or both) ?
Old 10-01-2013, 17:45   #45

After...thanks

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..