Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 13:42   #31
God Member

Re: My new toy!

you shouldn't be so cheeky to ask what stuff costs all the time then

Seriously though, it was a bargain as I am rather a good negotiator and not worried about offering stupidly low offers.

rules of negotiation
0) Be Polite throughout!
1) start Very low that even you are embarrassed
2) be well informed. there was a couple of cars available albeit without LPG on already for similar money
3) point out he's trying to sell a 4.2 litre V8 group 20 ins car in a financial climate of total meltdown.
4) be prepared to walk away and let him think about it.(I did and he called me 8 hours later) A deal doesn't have to be done in 10 mins flat. if it takes a couple of days to save 1K its a fair old hourly rate.
5) don't ever buy a car when you really NEED one. The fact I still have a perfectly capable car makes it no push to get one NOW.
6) be calm, show no excitement. If you do he knows you really want it!
7) point out (especially if its a niche car) that its costing him to advertise it and how long before someone else rings up?(this doesn't work for mass market stuff where buyesr ate 2 a penny)
8) remind him its an ever depreciating asset. in 6 months it will have lost most of the difference between what he wants now and what you are offering now. Cash in pocket is there to invest/spend/etc as he sees fit.
9) remember there will always be another along soon. (Unless you are buying something ultra rare/collectable in which case he will probably not budge an inch so its just a case of pay up or miss out)
10) have an absoute max value written in stone and NEVER EVER go above it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2009, 13:52   #32
Senior Member+

So go on then what did you pay on it.

After a new car myself, will have to remember them tips.

Oh and where's the pics.

Last edited by ***Mr D***; 04-02-2009 at 13:53. Reason: Pics
***Mr D*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 14:14   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Don't ask then
Old 04-02-2009, 14:23   #34
God Member

I'll try and get some pics on Friday weather dependant after its been cleaned and polished.

I'm finding more and more nice things about it though

set up the drivers seat( all electric including the head rest height), the wing mirrors, the seat belt height adjustment, the steering wheel adjustment(all electric). Store them and then by pressing buttons in a certain order links those settings to a specific key. So when I approach the car and unlock it with my key it sets everything up for me, when julie uses her key its all set up for her, all fully automatically!

There does seem to be something wrong though, when you press that pedal on the right, the needles more up far too quickly for how it 'feels'

Old 04-02-2009, 20:45   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'll try and get some pics on Friday weather dependant after its been cleaned and polished.

I'm finding more and more nice things about it though

set up the drivers seat( all electric including the head rest height), the wing mirrors, the seat belt height adjustment, the steering wheel adjustment(all electric). Store them and then by pressing buttons in a certain order links those settings to a specific key. So when I approach the car and unlock it with my key it sets everything up for me, when julie uses her key its all set up for her, all fully automatically!

There does seem to be something wrong though, when you press that pedal on the right, the needles more up far too quickly for how it 'feels'

and how fast does the fuel one go the opposite way
Old 04-02-2009, 20:50   #36
God Member

doesn't move an inch mate! The little LEDs go out though on teh LPG switch but TBH it seems to be doing about 20-22mpg at the min on gas at 45p/litre so a lot cheaper than most cars would give how I drive it.

Old 05-02-2009, 00:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
So go on then what did you pay on it.

After a new car myself, will have to remember them tips.

Oh and where's the pics.
Possibly brand new around 22grand
4/5 yr old 5k

must admit the Audi Q5 is some serious bit of kit
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:14   #38
God Member

brand new £56K

so not quite the 4/5K a@ 5 years old

You did see teh A8 bit didn't you

Old 05-02-2009, 07:22   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
4/5 yr old 5k
With the LPG probably about 3 times that much
Old 05-02-2009, 14:44   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
brand new £56K

so not quite the 4/5K a@ 5 years old

You did see teh A8 bit didn't you
oops sorry missed that.excuse me im a woman
making a mental note to myself read post correctly next time lol
still a nice bit of kit
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 14:47   #41
God Member

You're forgiven this once

Don't bother reading posts correctly, no one else bothers and it makes for interesting faux pas!

Old 05-02-2009, 19:05   #42
TJH

There a very nice car, my first car was Audi S4 and it was fantastic. I made the error of 'trading up' to a Mercedes but corrected that mistake and drive the Audi RS6 now and its a monster. I opted for the estate version but even so, 450bhp.

Youll love your Audio A8, just so much power and lots of features. Although who ever bought it new must be crying!. I didnt pay £55000 for my first house. There are dozens of Audi part suppliers if your warranty has expired and most high end garages can carry out work at less than the £100 per Audi rate.

Happy driving & if you see a black RS6 out in Accrington it could be me
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 19:10   #43

isnt the rs6 engine the same ? and both cars must weigh 2 tonnes?
Old 05-02-2009, 19:19   #44
TJH

The ten-cylinder V-configuration engine in the RS 6 is based on the V10 powerplants of the Audi S6 and Audi S8, but has been redeveloped in practically every respect to attain the significantly higher level of performance. The twin turbochargers ensure an impressively constant stream of power over the entire engine speed range: the mighty peak torque of 650 Nm is available across the entire range from 1,500 to 6,250 rpm; maximum output is available between 6,250 and 6,700 rpm.

There a realy nice car and more than capable of taking on DB9's and other such £150000 cars!.

But for value for money the older Audi A8 is simily one of the finest cars on the market. You get so much car for the money.

The RS6 is a pricey bit of kit, but will last me 10+ years
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 19:35   #45

did u see that pic doing the rounds of the rs6 bent round a tree ? guy was unharmed aswell, i like the bi-turbos its the one thing i hate about my impreza is the dead area up too 3000 rpm but hoping to have that fixed by summer

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..