Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2013, 22:17   #106
Senior Member+

Re: El Classico !!....Morecambe match thread .

he was 'just playing' previously, and didn't offer a great deal.

We could do with a Linganzi or Craney.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2013, 22:26   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
he was 'just playing' previously, and didn't offer a great deal.

We could do with a Linganzi or Craney.
Linganzi 100% no doubt in my mind our biggest loss of all the players that left.
As for Craney never rated him,I don't think I ever saw him fit,always carried too much weight.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 22:39   #108
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyman View Post
Linganzi 100% no doubt in my mind our biggest loss of all the players that left.
As for Craney never rated him,I don't think I ever saw him fit,always carried too much weight.
Then you didn't see Craney in his first spell with us. He was dynamite! I agree that he never delivered the same performances when he returned, apart from his first game back at Bury, when he was great. Downhill all the way from then for me.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 22:43   #109
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Then you didn't see Craney in his first spell with us. He was dynamite! I agree that he never delivered the same performances when he returned, apart from his first game back at Bury, when he was great. Downhill all the way from then for me.
Yes I only saw him the second time round,he seemed to be only here to collect his wages!!
Old 28-10-2013, 01:50   #110
God Member

seems to be a bit more Murf knocking again ... Personally I'd play him up front, he has more Stanley career goals than the rest of the strike force put together (11 in 141 as opposed to 8 in 69 for Carver, McCarten, Gray, Webber, Odejayi and Bowerman)

Whilst he may not be the most cultured of twinkle toed primadonnas he is the closest thing we have to 'an enforcer' and I think that as the team improves his worth will become more and more apparent.

Interesting to note that through our 3 recent managers he has featured in every game this season, 45 of 46 last season (3 as sub) and 33 in 2011-12 (2 as sub). Of the 13 he missed in 2011 8 of them were right at the beginning of the season.

Murphy should be captain, end of story.

And he is still only 23 ...
Redash likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 06:12   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Murphy whilst he aint the most cultured, would die fer the Stanley Shirt IMHO, I remember York away last season, he had n absolute stinker, even the York fans were cheering him, Popped up in the dying mins n scored the equaliser,that kept us in Div2. So fer my money the lad will do as Gareth Bales gone abroad.
Redraine and smobile like this.
Old 28-10-2013, 07:50   #112
God Member

You can usually tell how much of an impression on fans a player makes by the shirt sales. I beleive the most common name to go on the back of a shirt this season is Murphy by a long way. Now either he has a huge family or he's popular
Old 28-10-2013, 08:59   #113
God Member

Peter Murphy can be compared to a Phil Jones type of player. Both victims of their own versatility, neither are technically gifted and each possess the ability to allow their tempers to boil over. What is true of both players is that their desire to win football matches is rarely rivalled and that makes them players who can turn games. It's no coincidence that Murphy has scored last-minute goals for us on a number of occasions to either rescue us a draw or grab a win. It's a crying shame that he's harangued so much on messageboards and in the stands as players in his mould are few and far between but incredibly important at what they do. Aside from Nicky Hunt there's no other player in our squad with that kind of hunger to make the team do better. What players like Murphy and Jones lack in technical ability (indeed our own Dean Winnard was ahead of Jones in yoof/ressy land) they make up for in uniquely English grit and determination - something that our club has lost a lot of in recent years after JC's departure.
Redash and AsFc62 like this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:18   #114
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Agree shaker apart from the last sentence, i do not think fer 1 min we have lost a lot of grit @ determination, can't see that at all.
smobile likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:14   #115
God Member

Have to disagree on that one cashy but methinks that's one for an entirely different thread
Old 28-10-2013, 12:12   #116
Senior Member+

this is a section taken from a post by Roger Fitton on the Vital Morecambe Forum:
(((Gray fell over in the Morecambe penalty area as Barry Roche pushed the ball away from his feet. It was a truly excellent and brave save. Inexplicably, however, Mr Haywood pointed to the spot and awarded a penalty to the visitors. The slogan 'Should Have Gone To Specsavers')))

Read more: Morecambe - A Darker Shade Of Grey

what this Shrimper refers to as Fell over I would call pole-axed first and collect the ball after
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 12:32   #117
God Member

Cheers, accybeme.

'Vital Football' websites are addled with ill-put together nonsense and this one doesn't disappoint.

Had a good laugh though.
Old 28-10-2013, 13:12   #118
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
this is a section taken from a post by Roger Fitton on the Vital Morecambe Forum:
(((Gray fell over in the Morecambe penalty area as Barry Roche pushed the ball away from his feet. It was a truly excellent and brave save. Inexplicably, however, Mr Haywood pointed to the spot and awarded a penalty to the visitors. The slogan 'Should Have Gone To Specsavers')))

Read more: Morecambe - A Darker Shade Of Grey

what this Shrimper refers to as Fell over I would call pole-axed first and collect the ball after
Seen some biased reporting in my time ,but that really does make entertaining reading.
Old 28-10-2013, 13:33   #119
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Well aware theres bad losers, but that takes the biscuit.
Old 28-10-2013, 14:32   #120

Normally keep from commenting on player debates as only manage to see a handful of games when Stanley are down south. However, must say I have been surprised by the Murphy bashers. Apart from 1st half at Wimbledon this season, I have had the constant impression since conf days that our attack has been mainly a damp squib. Murphy has been for me the man most likely to get on the scoresheet and has probably scored most of the Stanley goals I've seen. He seems to always have in mind the objective of getting the ball in the net. Also have the impression that 'on target' is a greater priority with him than trying to find the corner and going harmlessly wide - a low percentage trait which doesn't work the keeper and cuts out chance of spilled ball and deflections. His mental attitude would have me using him behind the forwards with licence to shoot on sight. Just my opinion.
KiTChener likes this.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..