Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2006, 11:06   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Gary Roberts Gone!!!!!!!!!

...what makes it even worse is that, according to the BBC, Mulley is likely to be out tonight with an ankle injury. Hope he's back for Saturday.
Old 17-10-2006, 11:07   #17

To accy mad
im as gutted as all of you about Gary leaving but didn't we all say this when Rory left and look what happend there?
ben 107 the bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben 107 the bee
To accy mad
im as gutted as all of you about Gary leaving but didn't we all say this when Rory left and look what happend there?
Good argument accept for one thing. Rory replace by Gary. Gary replaced by Doherty. Or can you see another player anywhere. I can't.

If a good replacement is found then we are all happy. right now there isn't one. This is the point where you say give them time.
Old 17-10-2006, 11:18   #19

it will be difficult without gary but im sure John and Eric havent just shot there self in the foot i think there will be either somebody new coming in or maybe Sean is ready also Gary hasnt played on the left Romy has so it may be a case of looking towards Mangan or Brown
ben 107 the bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:21   #20

Quote:
it will be difficult without gary but im sure John and Eric havent just shot there self in the foot
10th in the league. ready to attack the playoff spot and we get rid of our leading goal scorer and one of our best players.

But you don't think we just shot ourselves in the foot?

I am in Rishton and I heard the gun go off from here LOL
Old 17-10-2006, 11:21   #21
I am Banned

I must admit im shocked upon reading this, i just really hope Coley & Eric know what they are doing especially at this crucial time with our good performances certainly Gary playing a prominent part of that, i just hope there is a good replacement for Gary in the pipework as it is i dont think Doherty is ready for that spot yet. There must be some financial or deal going down that we dont know of yet to even allow him out on loan till january especially with offer turned down during summer.

As the big clubs say no player is bigger than the club!! & seems the case here.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:24   #22
God Member

well put Ben.

what we are all forgetting is that no lower league club should hope to stand in the way of a young player getting a good move. Yes its only on loan but it is Garys shop window now. If he delivers the goods and keeps his head down he will be on a much higher wage, playing Championship football in front of 20000 people, knocking on the door of the Premiership and playing regularly on a stage that could just see him playing for Wales. How can you tell a player no?
Old 17-10-2006, 11:25   #23
God Member

Yeovil was a crap move for all concerned, Ipswich isn't
Old 17-10-2006, 11:26   #24
Senior Member+

No not april fools day!!!

Just hope Coley has a striker to replace him!

Good Luck Gary

Atleast if he does go we can say when he is playing in the championship or even maybe premiership HE WAS HERE!!!
Old 17-10-2006, 11:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
well put Ben.

what we are all forgetting is that no lower league club should hope to stand in the way of a young player getting a good move. Yes its only on loan but it is Garys shop window now. If he delivers the goods and keeps his head down he will be on a much higher wage, playing Championship football in front of 20000 people, knocking on the door of the Premiership and playing regularly on a stage that could just see him playing for Wales. How can you tell a player no?
I know what you are saying Rob - and it is totally logical - but I am sure most Stanley fans would much rather see Gary stay at Stanley and help us consolidate our position in League Two.
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:28   #26
God Member

Quote:
To accy mad
I know what you mean but it's not quite the same though Ben, Rory left before the season started not just as we were in the middle of a brilliant run of form. As I said before although we all wish Gary all the luck in the world it's crap timing for us.

Last edited by AccyMad; 17-10-2006 at 11:32.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:29   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
it will be difficult without gary but im sure John and Eric havent just shot there self in the foot i think there will be either somebody new coming in or maybe Sean is ready also Gary hasnt played on the left Romy has so it may be a case of looking towards Mangan or Brown
I can see where you are comingfrom Ben, But we already had Gary on the bench waiting so we didnt miss Rory as much as we first thought.
Old 17-10-2006, 11:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad
There's no way on earth Sean Doherty can fill Gary's boots, he's improving but he's just not ready for that.
I agree AccyMad... Sean backs out of a lot of challenges and easy chances, he's wary of getting involved in the game and holds back a lot of the time... Sorry if I upset anyone but in my opinion its true!
AccyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:34   #29
Dan
Senior Member+

Just a little bit of amateurish psychology...

Gary's celebration and reaction to the goal at Torquay... The celebration of a man who could've just scored his last goal for the club??? There was certainly a great deal of emotion in it. Just a thought.

I have to agree with both viewpoints to a certain extent. Yes, selling (or loaning with a view to sell) the best players in the side does exhibit a lack of ambition and a desire for cash, but that's what the lower echelons of the Football League are about. You can't really stand in Gary's way. He has a massive opportunity to further his career, and long term it will prove to be benificial to all parties concerned.

Gary Roberts is a great footballer, a top bloke, but by no means irreplaceable. Yes, in the short term he will be sorely missed, but the club, as always, will move on and find new heroes and new goalscorers. Selling one player doesn't mean that the club is deciding that it is willing to consolidate. Anybody who knows John, Jimmy or Eric even slightly will know that they are some of the most ambitious people in football.

Don't press the panic button yet. If any more players are sold, THEN it is time to worry. Best of luck to Gary, and don't forget, technically this is a loan. HE MAY BE BACK

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 11:35   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
How can you tell a player no?
By making a statement to the fans that the clubs ambitions are more important than Roberts future.

Tonight and Saturday I will be watching Stanley not Roberts. I will be concerned about our Club and not wondering if Gary Roberts is happy and in the money.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..