Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2007, 13:36   #1
God Member

john coleman

if john coleman was at any other club he would have got the sack by now.okoky im not saying he should be cause there aint anybody who would come to stanley and replace him but do you agree if he was anywhere else he would have been sacked it might be why the players are incompetent and complacent cause they think coley wont get the sack just an idea
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2007, 13:42   #2

Re: john coleman

How many promotions in how few years

WAKEY WAKEY!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 13:47   #3
God Member

ahh but im talking about this season and im not saying sack him im saying thats why the players are complacent at any ither club he would have been sacked look at the burys and rochdales and even maccles field theyve all changed managers so wakey wakey to you
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 13:51   #4
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
How many promotions in how few years

WAKEY WAKEY!
Spud we need action now it's no good bringing up the non league years we are football league at least for now.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 14:04   #5

If the club backed the manager with pound notes we wouldn't be where we are now. There is still until the end of the month for more players to come but i'm not sure we're gonna get players of the calibre needed to get us out of this current downward slump.

All i'm looking forward to is the liks of cav and co back off the injury list.
Great to see rommy back also.
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 14:05   #6
God Member

John Coleman is the best manager we'll probably ever have, if he had a few bob to spend we'd be more than safe in this league.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 14:09   #7
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
John Coleman is the best manager we'll probably ever have, if he had a few bob to spend we'd be more than safe in this league.
I am in total agreement with you two so lets stop using non league when talking about our current position Spud.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 14-01-2007, 14:22   #8
Super Moderator

OK, so why hasn't he got any money to spend? A major reason, sadly, is that the people of this district don't seem to want a football league club.
Old 14-01-2007, 14:26   #9
God Member

...and then the whole 'why don't they want to go' argument comes in with it's million and one reasons.
I don't claim to be an expert on these things but we do seem to have missed out on several opportunities to bring in the crowds & milk our famous name.

Last edited by shakermaker; 14-01-2007 at 14:27. Reason: spelling.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 14:29   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
OK, so why hasn't he got any money to spend? A major reason, sadly, is that the people of this district don't seem to want a football league club.
This could be a chicken & egg / Catch 22 (call it what you will) situation. Posts in other threads suggest that the club has not really grasped the opportunity to present itself (almost wrote "promote itself"!! oops) as a League club. I don't live in the area so I cannot offer a direct personal opinion - maybe others will.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 14:50   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
...and then the whole 'why don't they want to go' argument comes in with it's million and one reasons.
I don't claim to be an expert on these things but we do seem to have missed out on several opportunities to bring in the crowds & milk our famous name.
Tell me about it! I've already gone on and on...and on about the woeful lack of merchandising enterprise shown by the club. That's why I've said the low crowds are a major reason; they're certainly not the only reason for our limited revenue. This is only a guesstimate, but I reckon we could have made thousands and thousands of pounds from championship merchandise in the summer when we were a national news story. We could still be making money hand over fist by exploiting our famous name, especially with some retro-type merchandise, capitalising on the enduring fascination with our history.

Yesterday, we could have been doing a roaring trade by selling booze to thirsty Stanleyites and County fans from bars behind the Clayton and Coppice Ends...but they're not there, so that's another pile of cash lost.

Despite all that, it still remains a fact that a major source of any club's revenue is its gate money and our gates have been much lower than anticipated this season (1,900 home fans for the first home league match after 44 years?...come on! No wonder the League Paper had the headline "Accrington Gripped By Apathy").

And, yes, I'm preaching to the converted and, yes, we've been over the reasons dozens of times before but it's still a fact that people need reminding of from time to time.

However, the apparent indifference of the locals makes it even more imperative that the club does start to develop new income streams like a revamped and expanded merchandising operation, new licensed bars and more!
Old 14-01-2007, 14:57   #12
God Member

IMHO It will come, the simple fact of the matter is that we have found ourselves in the league by accident. We didn't throw money at winning the conference but we did, we simply existed but had a good side in a poor league and the rest is history. If we were still in the conference and making strides forwards we wouldn't be complaining. If we stay up this season then we are a season in front. Next seasons 250 grand tv money could employ 10 people doing full time jobs so that we would have 16 people doing 16 jobs rather than 6. Things would start getting done and money could start coming in through these people. Or we could buil;d something and let the money come in a little slower. Football is a business and you cant make all the leaps at once. The fact is we made the biggest leap of all first. Stay up by hook or by crook and let next season take care of its self.

Coleman stays. The man is an Accrington legend.
Old 14-01-2007, 15:33   #13

here here. Coleman is the man who brought us here he deserves the chance to turn things around. i dont think many other managers could of gained us three promotions in 5 years and still turn a profit on his transfer dealings. come on chairman give the man a chance and give him some money to buy some players.
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 15:53   #14
Accy Red

So Coleman stays and Eric Whalley sells up and Rob Heys goes to be replaced by someone who could take us forward and put right the woeful lack of merchandising enterprise shown by the club.

Old 14-01-2007, 16:24   #15
Super Moderator

Bagpuss, firstly, who exactly are you expecting Eric to sell up TO?

And, secondly, although I'm highly critical of the club's merchandising policy, I think you're being somewhat unfair on Rob. Think it's more a case of what Macca says - 6 people doing the jobs of 16. Time for Eric to take a few more backroom boys on?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..