Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 10:44   #466
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Sky news players charged bury game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
All 5 will hope the same. i just hope the "Truth" comes out whatever it is, this sorry episode needs putting to bed n on wi next season.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:00   #467
Senior Member+

I remain fascinated by the "internal investigation".

Has it happened?

What were/are/will be its terms of reference?

Who has carried/is carrying/will carry it out?

Will the former players be involved as some of them were on our books at the time of the incident?

Will the results of the internal investigation be made public?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:05   #468
God Member

Question Re: Sky news players charged bury game

So what has happened today? Were they in court? Or have they just entered their plee's???

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:41   #469
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
So what has happened today? Were they in court? Or have they just entered their plee's???
Should be on the "Fishy" site around August.
Old 07-05-2009, 18:46   #470
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I remain fascinated by the "internal investigation".
It only got mentioned on the Fishy site after postings on here about proper organisations doing one.

I'm keeping my powder dry, but am sure the club will not come out of this in a good light.

But fair questions, RR, maybe I could add, what date did it start?

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 19:41   #471
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
should be on the "fishy" site around august.:d

Old 07-05-2009, 19:46   #472
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
I'm keeping my powder dry, but am sure the club will not come out of this in a good light.
Good point Oggy. This is my suspicion/fear too
Old 08-05-2009, 15:19   #473
God Member

TheFA.com - Players deny charges

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 16:56   #474
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Site seems down.

Try this, although there's nowt new
Players deny Accrington Stanley betting charges (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 19:29   #475
God Member

well there is something new as previously we only heard that Cav was denying the charges - but ALL FIVE have formally denied the charges!
Old 08-05-2009, 19:32   #476
God Member

What I am wondering is? It is only about 12 weeks until the new season starts, then we have pre-season! So when will this "Fiasco" finally be put to bed????

Old 08-05-2009, 23:33   #477
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Players deny charges

Friday, 08 May, 2009

FA receives responses from charged players.
The FA has received responses from five players who have been charged with breaches of The FA's rules on betting in football.

David Mannix, Andrew Mangan, Robert Williams, Jay Harris and Peter Cavanagh have denied the charges issued against them and requested personal hearings.

The majority of the charges related to bets placed on an end-of-season match between Accrington Stanley and Bury played on 3 May 2008. Betting companies in the North-West had reported unusual betting patterns in the lead-up to the match with higher than usual amounts being staked in particular areas of the country.

Four of those charged – Jay Harris, David Mannix, Robert Williams and Peter Cavanagh – were registered with Accrington Stanley at the time of the game while Andrew Mangan was registered with Bury. Both Harris and Cavanagh played in the game.

The charges will be now heard by an independent Regulatory Commission which will be scheduled in due course.-------------- [copied this from F.A. site valairian.]
Old 09-05-2009, 00:27   #478
God Member

there is a similar case from the 60's when players had placed bets on the opposition, for the players the sentences were harsh but I don't think the clubs involed were punished

(from Wiki)
The FA only prohibits betting on a match by those directly involved in the game in question. In 1964, the great British football betting scandal of the 1960s was uncovered. A betting ring organized by Jimmy Gauld and involving several Football League players had been fixing matches. The most famous incident involved three Sheffield Wednesday players, including two England international players, that were subsequently banned from football for life and imprisoned after it was discovered they had bet against their team winning in a match against Ipswich Town. A similar scandal had occurred in 1915.

I apologise in advance if the this has been posted earlier.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:47   #479
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
there is a similar case from the 60's when players had placed bets on the opposition, for the players the sentences were harsh but I don't think the clubs involed were punished

(from Wiki)
The FA only prohibits betting on a match by those directly involved in the game in question. In 1964, the great British football betting scandal of the 1960s was uncovered. A betting ring organized by Jimmy Gauld and involving several Football League players had been fixing matches. The most famous incident involved three Sheffield Wednesday players, including two England international players, that were subsequently banned from football for life and imprisoned after it was discovered they had bet against their team winning in a match against Ipswich Town. A similar scandal had occurred in 1915.
I apologise in advance if the this has been posted earlier.
I am pretty sure this has been posted before and as also been said, the 5 who have been brought up on charges are not being charged with match fixing, only betting against the club. A slightly less serious charge, however, if found proven, each can expect lengthy bans and Cav and Rocky will be sacked according to EW.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:52   #480
God Member

Smile Re: Sky news players charged bury game

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Players deny charges

Friday, 08 May, 2009

FA receives responses from charged players.
The FA has received responses from five players who have been charged with breaches of The FA's rules on betting in football.

David Mannix, Andrew Mangan, Robert Williams, Jay Harris and Peter Cavanagh have denied the charges issued against them and requested personal hearings.

The majority of the charges related to bets placed on an end-of-season match between Accrington Stanley and Bury played on 3 May 2008. Betting companies in the North-West had reported unusual betting patterns in the lead-up to the match with higher than usual amounts being staked in particular areas of the country.

Four of those charged – Jay Harris, David Mannix, Robert Williams and Peter Cavanagh – were registered with Accrington Stanley at the time of the game while Andrew Mangan was registered with Bury. Both Harris and Cavanagh played in the game.

The charges will be now heard by an independent Regulatory Commission which will be scheduled in due course.-------------- [copied this from F.A. site valairian.]
Cheers Cashy... Its that "In due course" bit, hope it's sooner rather than later...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..