Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2006, 19:06   #31
Senior Member+

Re: todays game

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PEEL PARK GHOST
I have never been PM's biggest fan but in the last 4/5 games he has been outstanding and a complete role model for all the boys in red, absolute class.
Enjoyed your post, but the above bit astounds me, you obviously can't be Mullin's biggest fan, because I am, Coley may disagree.

Seeing Paul, first at Radcliffe when dominating Stanley, and then maturing with Stanley, like a fine wine. He runs his socks off every game, he and Lutel used to terrorise defences, not just with their skills but their work rate. This season he's scored goals that seem, to me, to have added to his game - the composure for the goal against Morecambe, and the one where his first touch in the penalty area made a goal out of nothing, again hammered home with composure.

He's captained the side brilliantly for most of the season on the pitch.

Anyway, PPG, glad you're learning sense, last 4/5 games????

ON STANLEY ON

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2006, 19:10   #32

robbie is banned next week for 2 games i think.
pooldrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 19:11   #33
Senior Member+

Mullin had a good game today scoring a brace but the rest of the team didn't really get going..I thought burton played very very well and did not let us play our usual free flowing football and we have to give them credit for that...And to win it off a corner which wasn't a corner as it came of gary roberts was heartbreaking for them but that's football and another valuable win...All eyes on hereford stevenage on monday night live on sky...
Old 25-02-2006, 19:24   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Gary Roberts was totally dominated, and it appeared to me as though he was just going through the motions, and come to think of it same goes for Rommy.
And David Brown? Ian Craney? Not knocking any of them, although maybe they would like to have a 189 pass movement ending with a tap in from 6 inches.

I think Rommy's attitude is tops, not sure about the position. David Brown could be the Jimmy Greaves of Conference football. Roberts is the classic Welsh Wing Wizard (remember Cliff Jones?) Craney is the key to this side, and judging by Coley's after match priorities, he may agree. He's also come on a ton since coming here.

But they're all a bit tired, inexperienced (apart from Brown), and need IMHO to get back to basics, that's what got us where we are.

ON STANLEY ON

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 19:27   #35
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley1957
There's no pleasing some people!

Despite topping the table, on the verge of an historic promotion and playing some of the best football seen at the Crown / IES for many a year - some people still find time to complain!

A Gentleman was on his way out - just before the final whistle - mouthing off about how Coley had got it wrong for not changing the midfield blah! blah!

I asked where John was going to "magic up" such a player who would make a difference in a game played in a difficult swirling wind and with the limited choice he had available for today's game. The guy only wanted to moan - so I pointed out thta we were 13 points clear at the top and that credit must be given to the opposition (Burton played extremely well). He skulked off - missing the winning goal - how sad!

As I've said before - "Keep the faith" because if you can still pick up points when you haven't played well...........?

Come on Accy!!!!! and to the guy who left early - "All the Best"!
My mother and her family are Yorkshire Folk so I suppose my miserable side and resistance to leave anything alone comes from them. I personally feel that it’s an insult to leave the ground before the final whistle as well as a waste of money, never the less each to there own.

Yes I agree that Burton </ST1where the better side, but they didn’t capitalise on a well fought battle. I also feel for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG] /><st1:City w:st=[/IMG]<ST1[IMG] /><st1:City w:st=[/IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = " /><st1:City w:st="on"><ST1Burton</ST1</st1:City> and their fans, it’s only a few weeks ago since they where battling a Premiership team and did so with pride and courage.
<O
So it’s got to be a wake up call for our lads not to let their guard down, there’s better teams than <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1Burton</ST1</st1:City> ahead of us. But at the end of the day it’s our team and they won, it may have been a slim victory, but it was won by two lads who put the ball in the back of the net.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 25-02-2006 at 19:29.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 19:30   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley1957
There's no pleasing some people!
I just spent nearly two hours feezing my thingies off watching the biggest load of old rubbish I have seen in many a match.. I aint that pleased.

But we got 3 points so
Old 25-02-2006, 19:41   #37

A good result today. I'm getting so excited now at the prospect of promotion

For where I live, there are three matches coming up I could get to, but grrrrr!! - for various reasons I probably won't be able get to

I am going to the match at Kidderminster though in April. Our final non-league game. I haven't been to a match for a while and it's going to be a great day!

Who else will be there?

Dave
davy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 19:43   #38

Exclamation Re: todays game

Quote:
Whatever formation they played worked
Well it obviously didnt work did it coz they got beat!!!! You could say it temporarily worked for 45 mins until Mully scored again... but it definately didnt work...

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 20:05   #39

Gotta say, prob worst performance I've seen this season from us, we allowed them to dominate the game, but, hey, if you play crap & still get the points, that's the sign of champions!
For me, you can still keep playing crap, as long as you get the points!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 20:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo T Hornblower
Well it obviously didnt work did it coz they got beat!!!! You could say it temporarily worked for 45 mins until Mully scored again... but it definately didnt work...

Jimbo T blower

Hey Jimbo......
Have seen you in ages. Hope to see you at Kidderminster!!

Dave
davy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 20:43   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I just spent nearly two hours feezing my thingies off watching the biggest load of old rubbish I have seen in many a match.. I aint that pleased.

But we got 3 points so
Get a hat from Club shop if yours ears get cold
Old 25-02-2006, 20:55   #42
Senior Member+

PEEL PARK GHOST- "A proper team" I think there might be a few players from past Stanley teams take exception to that. I think all the teams from the reformation of Stanley in the late 1960s through the 70s-80s and 90s did the job to get where we are today and I think they all share a little in the glory and pride, as do all the supporters who were there through thick and thin. It,s a great thing that,s going to happen and well deserved by ALL.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 21:05   #43

Yes Ossy Kid I hold my hands up, you are in your rights to correct me. One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here is how superbly Tretts has done. After a frustratingly long lay off he quietly slips into the team and plays as though he has been here for years, Quality!

I for one reckon he and Welchy have a fantastic understanding which could prove invaluable in the coming weeks. Lets all hope this potential team of legends can do us even prouder!!!

PS....Tommy Mcqueen is a closet Barrow Fan!!!!!
THE PEEL PARK GHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 21:40   #44

Burton-dominate: all in the same sentence? Yet we won 2-1. Persistance & tenacity wins games & playing till the ref says the game is over. Several have said Cloughy was robbed but they played for not enough crucial minutes pro rata to goal chances as Stanley did. Remember we are a team all want to beat & will try to stalemate our game. Ok Burton played well & Rob made his mark as MOM but thats what he is paid for. Uninspiring? Those who departed on 88 minutes or less missed why we are top of the league! Expect more grinding out performances before the league is won especially with Hereford, Greys etc still to play. Its the points at the end that count now.
Old 25-02-2006, 23:36   #45
Full Member+

We've been grinding out a few results in our current 8-game winning streak in the conference ... particularly when we play in wind! Plenty of stats to show that Burton did dominate:

Shots on target
Stanley: 4
Burton: 13

Shots off target
Stanley: 3
Burton: 9

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...ch/142274.html

But it's the three points that matter and as we've shown against so many teams, there is a clinical edge to our finishing that I've not seen from any other team this season. Well done lads for grinding out the win and providing some entertainment in the second half at least!
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..