Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 20:25   #46
I am Banned

Re: Crikey!! (Steve Irwin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwich stanley
Tribute program now on(sky channel536)
Yeh im watching it blimey im going to miss his sence of humour he's so funny
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2006, 20:35   #47

Yeti Pentathlon Champion!
Cash Beast Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Yeh im watching it blimey im going to miss his sence of humour he's so funny
Think i have seen program,but never tire of his infectous enthusasm,dont know whether to laugh or cry.
norwich stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 20:36   #48
God Member

very sad news indeed
rip steve
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 20:40   #49
God Member

Re: Crikey!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Im curious how people know this for fact, its amazing that this statement comes up, how do you know he wanted to die that way, i doubt he knew 100% himself about that quite insensitive really.
Fair enough, I take your point, I certainly didn't mean to be insensitive just that he was doing the thing he loved most. I suppose it gives people who know him or even his fans comfort that he was doing something he loved and that he was most probably happy in the few moments before he died.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 20:45   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwich stanley
Think i have seen program,but never tire of his infectous enthusasm,dont know whether to laugh or cry.
Me too, my kids are going to be soo mad with me cos they are in bed & despite the news they hoped a program would be on tho i did explain it might not be today ooopppsss
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 21:25   #51
God Member

Ok, so a dude who "played" with dangerous animals, tramped through disease infested locations, had one of the most annoying personalities on television, and he made it acceptable to do all the above, presenting it to children as a good and right thing, was killed today by an animal that felt threatened when he was in its habitat...
WTF is up with all the people on here extolling him like he's a HERO?. What about the 14 RAF personnel killed in the air crash in Afghanistan. Are any of you "sending prayers" to their family and friends? (maybe I missed that forum)
Where are your "the good die young" postings for these guys? We won't even go into the 177 British troops who have died in the Iraq or the 21 killed in Afghanistan. That would just be too obvious.
Seriously people, Steve Irwin was a **i*k who felt the need to play "master" to the animal kingdom. He had no respect for animals and, frankly, got what he deserved.

Last edited by PC Plod 3487; 04-09-2006 at 21:53.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 21:35   #52

I'm sad about his death but not completely suprised to be honest.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 23:07   #53

Good point Steeljack. Why don’t you start a new forum then, seeing that no one else has and I will send my condolences but I don’t think it’s over with just yet? There will most likely be many more British troops, US troops and civilians that will loose their lives before long but never the less it’s still very sad.

I used to watch Steve Irwen in the beginning and was amazed at what he did. I also thought that what he did was silly and extremely dangerous, do they not have heath and safety regulations down-under? As time went on ‘imo’ he became a bit OTT. However I was still saddened on hearing of his death.

Rest in peace, mate.
Shane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 23:17   #54
Give, give, give member

I think it is really sad that someone so young as died, especially for his wife and kids.

He did come across as a bit of a self publicising nob though, as could be seen earlier this year, when he dangled his new born son infront of a crocodile.

It said on the news he was a conservationist. In my book conservationists don't aggravate crocodiles by lassooing crocodiles and make them more angry just because it makes good television.

That said, he always seemed like a good guy, and it is a tradgedy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 23:57   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
Ok, so a dude who "played" with dangerous animals, tramped through disease infested locations, had one of the most annoying personalities on television, and he made it acceptable to do all the above, presenting it to children as a good and right thing, was killed today by an animal that felt threatened when he was in its habitat...
WTF is up with all the people on here extolling him like he's a HERO?. What about the 14 RAF personnel killed in the air crash in Afghanistan. Are any of you "sending prayers" to their family and friends? (maybe I missed that forum)
Where are your "the good die young" postings for these guys? We won't even go into the 177 British troops who have died in the Iraq or the 21 killed in Afghanistan. That would just be too obvious.
Seriously people, Steve Irwin was a **i*k who felt the need to play "master" to the animal kingdom. He had no respect for animals and, frankly, got what he deserved.
you'll do for me steeljack.
Old 05-09-2006, 00:09   #56
Junior Member+

deepest sympathy to his family. i'm sure it was a freak accident and i too really enjoyed watching him. you could tell how much he loved the animals and he was just so happy to be around them.

i for one will miss his enthusiasm (<<hope i spelled that right).

long live crocs!
RIP croc hunter
Old 05-09-2006, 00:14   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson
deepest sympathy to his family. i'm sure it was a freak accident and i too really enjoyed watching him. you could tell how much he loved the animals and he was just so happy to be around them.

i for one will miss his enthusiasm (<<hope i spelled that right).

long live crocs!
RIP croc hunter
yeh he loved em that much he nearly fed his baby son to em.
Old 05-09-2006, 00:56   #58
Junior Member+

yeah poor steve, died monday 4 sept shortly after 11am, accident with a sting ray, i really feel for his family. me and my kids went down to australia zoo last to put flowers outside the zoo, such a sad loss for all his wonderful Conservation work he will be sadly missed by millions.
keep rockin steve
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 13:53   #59
God Member

I shall shed no crocodile tears. This man was a showman who made piles of money from locking up and then humiliating wild animals. He got away with it for so long simply because he convinced millions of gullible idiots that his activities were somehow wildlife-friendly. Well, sometimes there is a sting in the tail.

Bye-Bye Steve.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 16:45   #60
Resident Waffler

He did a lot of work for conservation and protection of animals. From what I've heard from people "down under" he rescued crocs when they had invaded people's swimming pools and such like. That was when he lassooed them and returned them to the wild rather than shooting them.

Yes he made plenty of money but he ploughed plenty of money back into conservation.

From the news reports and the police who watched the film which was being made when it happened he had not aggravated or interfered with the ray at all. It was a freak accident.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..