Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2009, 20:44   #196
God Member

Re: Last Nights Council Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
And reading and "digesting" tells it all does it? You are obviously only digesting the bits you want to then.
All we have been subjected to is ranting Labour Councillors and a tub thumping supporter who comes across as someone who has a pet hate in life.
It is no wonder that the electorate have lost faith in politics, lets not forget that half of the electorate dont understand what is going on anyway no matter what is spewed out in local propaganda and a good percentage can't read it anyway.
There must be other way's to get your message across.....I read the local and national press and form my opinion from what I read...I have been educated to the point where I can determine who is the goody and who is the villain.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2009, 20:58   #197
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well caz I'm not actually say the Peter is the best leader that HBC has ever had but he's in the top one and he's coming up for ten years in the job too, seems like Hyndburn agrees with me too overall
Well all I can say is that we must have had some real dross in the past.
How come I don't remember them?
And I really don't think that a lot of people in Hyndburn give a flying fig for politics. Just because some chap gets into office doesn't necessarily mean that all of Hyndburn like him......it just means that his supporters got the old dollies to the polling booths....and they voted for the someone that they knew(rather than the best chap for the job).

It is time he moved over and gave someone else a shot. I don't think they could do a worse job.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 21:03   #198
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
seems like Hyndburn agrees with me too overall
If Hyndburn agreed with you Greg Pope would not be our MP, simple really.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 21:05   #199
Beacon of light

well perhaps not Bagpuss.....Local politics is a different bird to national politics.

I certainly view them differently anyway.
Old 13-03-2009, 21:10   #200
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is time he moved over and gave someone else a shot. I don't think they could do a worse job.
I am sure many people could do a better job, after all there is always someone more intelligent and better at things than all of us (if that makes sense).

I do though think that most people would make a worse job of it than him at the moment. I think the Tories would be in a mess without PB and I don't think the Labour Councillors are in a good position to run the Council at the moment, there is from what I hear still a lot of unrest in the ranks.

I think Graham is a decent bloke who has good ideas, he is keen and willing and appears to put a lot of time into being a Councillor, I just don't think he is right to be leader of the Council yet. If Labour don't have a leader I think can run the show that only leaves one option.

Please flame me at your pleasure
Old 13-03-2009, 21:12   #201
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
well perhaps not Bagpuss.....Local politics is a different bird to national politics.

I certainly view them differently anyway.
It certainly is Margaret, the difference is that Hyndburn voters did not vote PB to be their leader, well not directly but they made sure he was not voted in as our MP.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 21:17   #202
Beacon of light

Neil I would not dream of flaming you. You are entitled to your opinion.
I wasn't actually saying that any of the current local politicians could make a better job of it.
Old 13-03-2009, 21:37   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am sure many people could do a better job, after all there is always someone more intelligent and better at things than all of us (if that makes sense).

I do though think that most people would make a worse job of it than him at the moment. I think the Tories would be in a mess without PB and I don't think the Labour Councillors are in a good position to run the Council at the moment, there is from what I hear still a lot of unrest in the ranks.

I think Graham is a decent bloke who has good ideas, he is keen and willing and appears to put a lot of time into being a Councillor, I just don't think he is right to be leader of the Council yet. If Labour don't have a leader I think can run the show that only leaves one option.

Please flame me at your pleasure
Neil you appear to know more about what is happening within the Labour Group of councillors than those of us who are members of the group. Maybe you would like to tell everyone about the 'unrest in the ranks'.

And Jaysay - I have known Graham Jones for a long time, and your comments about him being 'loving himself' are way off the mark. Also Graham does not lie in public - as Peter Britcliffe has done on several occasions recently - one instance of this was at the last meeting of the Resources Overview and Scrutiny panel meeting, when he said that Church and Milnshaw Area Council had withdrawn form the Floral Market Towns hard landscaping project. He knew this was untrue but even when the facts were pointed out to him he persisted in making untrue statements.

Last edited by claytonender; 13-03-2009 at 21:43.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 21:52   #204
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Neil you appear to know more about what is happening within the Labour Group of councillors than those of us who are members of the group. Maybe you would like to tell everyone about the 'unrest in the ranks'.
Maybe you would like to explain about it instead so I don't get it wrong
Old 13-03-2009, 22:15   #205
Senior Member+

There is no unrest at all. Where is the evidence. Labour Councillors were accused of being sheep a month or so back for backing me/the group wholeheartedly. I know Peter has done about 5 or 6 lying statements to the press but that's all they are. I have never been leader so it will be fresh territory. I have said I want to ditch the past and move on. Everything is in place to radically change Hyndburn for years to come in the way we treat each other and work together.

There are a lot of the old guard worried outside of labour because they know how determined I am. Having seen 3 leaders and how they did things I am confident this group is totally united and focused.
Posted via Mobile Device
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 22:21   #206
Senior Member+

Quote:
even I am flumuxed Neil. No-one has any idea. Joan doesnt. I think you are being sold a load of rubbish to be honest.

Posted via Mobile Device
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 22:33   #207
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
even I am flumuxed Neil. No-one has any idea. Joan doesnt. I think you are being sold a load of rubbish to be honest.

Posted via Mobile Device
Could be, maybe next time we are at a meet together we could talk about it.

Anyway you are supposed to be enjoying your time with friends not messing about on here.
Old 13-03-2009, 22:39   #208

Quote:
Well I can't explain about that something that doesn't exist. As Graham said I think someone is telling you a load of rubbish.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 23:14   #209
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
It certainly is Margaret, the difference is that Hyndburn voters did not vote PB to be their leader, well not directly but they made sure he was not voted in as our MP.

.........twice.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 23:22   #210
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post

And Jaysay - I have known Graham Jones for a long time, and your comments about him being 'loving himself' are way off the mark. Also Graham does not lie in public - as Peter Britcliffe has done on several occasions recently - one instance of this was at the last meeting of the Resources Overview and Scrutiny panel meeting, when he said that Church and Milnshaw Area Council had withdrawn form the Floral Market Towns hard landscaping project. He knew this was untrue but even when the facts were pointed out to him he persisted in making untrue statements.
That's what I look for in a politican.

Someone who has the balls to say it as it is.

How very refreshing.

No hints of what might be meant, passed on via a third party 'friend'.

Someone brave enough to commit to print an accusation, giving full details of an example, and branding somone a liar.

Strong enough in her convictions that she won't be sued.

Well done you.

You'd get my vote if I lived in your ward.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..