Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2009, 00:06   #76
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Last Nights Council Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Andrew do you think it was a good idea for the Labour Group to present a fully costed Budget (which was fully checked by the Chief Finance Officer).
I do and I liked the idea of another Dog Warden.

I would like to have seen a few more hands on staff in the parks department as well so we can maintain and improve our green spaces in Hyndburn.
Old 28-02-2009, 00:07   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
No pay rise for council employees?
i wouldnt have a problem with that especialy those that screw up then blame you for not handing in paper work when you have or give out wrong advice which later leaves you in rent arrears or even the old classic where they have made a miscalculation in your council tax and you have to find £200 to be paid within 7 days of recieving this letter or the bailifs will be called or how about the binmen that cant take a bin 10 yards without spilling half its contents or operators in their call center that answer your call but dont realise then after 40 mins waiting all you hear is them yapping about what there doing at the weekend because they dont know your there ...

yes i know theres a lot of or's there and im pretty sure others could add many so as i said earlier i could quite easily live with council employees not getting a payrise , its not as though they are been paid minimum wage is it and from what i know of wages from councils they are pretty damn good anyway so people wouldnt starve

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 07:21   #78
God Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Andrew do you think it was a good idea for the Labour Group to present a fully costed Budget (which was fully checked by the Chief Finance Officer).
Of course I think it was a good idea, after the shambles of a budget last year. I think its a shambles that Labour are not funding us properly by government grants. We could have had a council tax freeze if they had increased our grant in line with the national average.
Old 28-02-2009, 09:13   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
A budget that included £75,000 from balances, unfortunately the last time your mob were in power they left a budget deficit so you wouldn't have had anything to borrow from its easy to put out a cheaper budget out of somebody else's savings, but that's what Labour do
Old 28-02-2009, 09:42   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A budget that included £75,000 from balances, unfortunately the last time your mob were in power they left a budget deficit so you wouldn't have had anything to borrow from its easy to put out a cheaper budget out of somebody else's savings, but that's what Labour do
I am not quite sure what you mean by a budget deficit. In local government finance, budgets have to balance. It's a legal requirement. Also the minimum amount of balances any council carries is set independently.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 10:34   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
I am not quite sure what you mean by a budget deficit. In local government finance, budgets have to balance. It's a legal requirement. Also the minimum amount of balances any council carries is set independently.
Lets put it this way Bernard the coffers weren't exactly overflowing with milk and honey were they, after the cock up with scraping the works department and using none existent rebates, since them they only way was up which has been document by the audit commision. It really speaks a lot about the Labour council from 1986 to 2000 does't those great achievers as Jones keeps telling us, they only thing that kept Labour in control was an unpopular Toy Government not a well run Labour council, which was demonstrated by the fact that from 1997 to 2000 (three elections) turned a 44 to 3 Labour Council to loosing control to the Tories
Old 28-02-2009, 10:41   #82
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why should she. She is totally free to support whichever team she wants too. I already thing the Council support Accy Stanley enough - after all why should my Council Tax be spent on a private business?

I would rather see the market stall holders being helped with there rents to try and save the town centre.
Because Stanley is one of the things that this borough is famous for, not just in this country, but all over the world, and, as such, deserves the support of the council. Other councils see their local football league club as a great asset and support and cherish it accordingly. As for Councillor Pritchard, she represents the borough, therefore she should show an interest in and make a show of support of its football club, even if it's just as a "second club" to the one she has chosen to follow.
Old 28-02-2009, 10:41   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

did boundry changes have any bearing on this?
Old 28-02-2009, 11:34   #84
Senior Member+

Quote:
Lets put it this way Bernard the coffers weren't exactly overflowing with milk and honey were they, after the cock up with scraping the works department and using none existent rebates, since them they only way was up which has been document by the audit commision. It really speaks a lot about the Labour council from 1986 to 2000 does't those great achievers as Jones keeps telling us, they only thing that kept Labour in control was an unpopular Toy Government not a well run Labour council, which was demonstrated by the fact that from 1997 to 2000 (three elections) turned a 44 to 3 Labour Council to loosing control to the Tories
I not sure which audit report you have reading,but the last few have been quite critical. There is a still a fair number of auditors recommendations that have still to be acted upon.

Graham was right about the success under Labour. The globe, which created 600 jobs. Previous to that the Globe had become a derelict building

You could also add the building up of the industrial estates, Huncoat and Altham being two of them.

The whole area of replacing unfit housing in the borough started under a labour council.

I am not suggesting that we didn't make mistakes, we did make mistakes. But we got a lot of things right as well.
Old 28-02-2009, 11:47   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I not sure which audit report you have reading,but the last few have been quite critical. There is a still a fair number of auditors recommendations that have still to be acted upon.

Graham was right about the success under Labour. The globe, which created 600 jobs. Previous to that the Globe had become a derelict building

You could also add the building up of the industrial estates, Huncoat and Altham being two of them.

The whole area of replacing unfit housing in the borough started under a labour council.

I am not suggesting that we didn't make mistakes, we did make mistakes. But we got a lot of things right as well.
Do pray tell where the money came from for the Globe Centre, to refurbish a building to house 600 jobs, not create and it might be an idea to tell us which Labour councillors was a director of round 6 companies (registered with companies house) who were engaged in doing work for HBC.
Old 28-02-2009, 11:53   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Do pray tell where the money came from for the Globe Centre, to refurbish a building to house 600 jobs, not create and it might be an idea to tell us which Labour councillors was a director of round 6 companies (registered with companies house) who were engaged in doing work for HBC.
Sucks in spit ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 12:11   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
The money came from a successful Single Regeneration Bid. To get the money we had to demonstrate that the majority of the jobs at the globe would be new jobs. We where also competing with local authorities from all over the country to secure the bid for Hyndburn.

I would just point out also that the council recently has missed out on the chance of much needed external funding, because apparently the form wasn't filled in correctly.
Old 28-02-2009, 12:18   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
did boundry changes have any bearing on this?
could i please have n answer to this? was abroad at that time of changeover n have no idea.
Old 28-02-2009, 12:33   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
could i please have n answer to this? was abroad at that time of changeover n have no idea.
To an extent boundary changes played a part. There were other factors as well. One being we reduced the number of councillors, which tended to help the Tories.
Old 28-02-2009, 12:43   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
To an extent boundary changes played a part. There were other factors as well. One being we reduced the number of councillors, which tended to help the Tories.
thanks fer the answer bernard, i'm one who thinks ALL factors should be considered.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..